• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Low Grade Spider-Man #1 Megacon Purchase

11 posts in this topic

I just got this. Half cash and half trade. I might have overpaid because I noticed while taking the picture that there is a triangle in the lower cover that was carefully glued on. Looks original, but repaired. Is that considered restoration by CGC standards in this low grade? If I cut it back off and then tape it back on, is it still? :) Recommendations?

Cover is attached (barely) and centerfold too.

DSCN1627_zps5543b0b1.jpg

DSCN1630_zps8d3d389e.jpg

DSCN1632_zps3b32b524.jpg

Looks like some CT Too 1.5 maybe? Not to sure with the pic some of the blues look off on front cover and back of front cover.

I don't think it's color touched. My camera and lighting isn't the best.

Still a cool book either way

Thanks. Kind of what I figured. If I really wanted it in a slab, I could re-cut the break and tape it. I think the grading companies shouldn't count off on minor glue repair when the book's grade is so low, or just provide a "details" grade. Because in this case, I think someone's glue-job actually helps the book. And if it was a tape repair, which is horrible for long-term storage of the book, it wouldn't count as restoration.

It does make me wonder how many books like this pass through collectors unnoticed because they don't know what to look for.

Thanks. Kind of what I figured. If I really wanted it in a slab, I could re-cut the break and tape it. I think the grading companies shouldn't count off on minor glue repair when the book's grade is so low, or just provide a "details" grade. Because in this case, I think someone's glue-job actually helps the book. And if it was a tape repair, which is horrible for long-term storage of the book, it wouldn't count as restoration.

It does make me wonder how many books like this pass through collectors unnoticed because they don't know what to look for.

Can't agree with you there, all restoration should be PLOD period. I hate the golden age books get away with small amounts of restoration.

Update:

I got out a powerful magnifier (15x) and looked at that "glued piece" again. I figured out that the piece was not glued on there. Instead, it was a hard...hard...crease that was fairly flimsy, so someone dabbed glue on there as reinforcement to keep the piece on there. I don't know if CGC would scrutinize it that hard before throwing it in a purple slab, but I'm confident in what I'm seeing (so I won't send it to CGC). It's kind of like if you bend a paperclip a couple dozen times before it breaks...they caught it in time and lightly traced the glue on. Don't know what CGC would do with glue reinforcement like that. Probably still a PLOD, but I like the fact that the piece never actually fell off.