• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perils of Media Mail

56 posts in this topic

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to do it any other way, but beware, ebay may find in favor of a buyer even if slow media mail transit is part of the problem. I had a situation where a buyer initiated the process BEFORE ebay's own estimated time of delivery had passed and they found in favor of the buyer, despite there being tracking information showing the item is en route (but not yet delivered) and yanked a big chunk of change out of my paypal account.

While everything wasn't solely due to slow media mail shipping, part of the problem was that my first attempt to ship got returned to me (after a chunk of time) because I had some tape over the scannable part of the lable and then, to make up for the delay I added some extra freebies to the order, which, of course, took me too much time, and then I re-shipped it two business days after I said I would (first one I got to the p.o. 15 minutes after it closed and then on the next monday was involved in a car accident in route to the p.o. and didn't get the box there until the next day). so a chunk of the delay is shipping the item twice via media mail. but this was like a 25-30 pound box, so other methods would cost sooooo much.

I put in a 5 day handling time in my listing, for these big mixed grab bag lots (which I prepare after the buyer has paid) I guess I will need to give myself 10 days.

Here, we are still way less than a month since payment on this item, but ebay still ruled against me.

we'll see what actually happens to my comics now that the buyer will get them and has his money.

also, how does one respond to negative feedback? 1292 perfect positive and now this. uhg.

i knew from day 1 the buyer had mental health issues due to some of his questions leading up to the purchase and then the barrage of e-mails after purchase, but I got sucked in because it was a bunch of money and I needed it. I should have just ran in the other direction, it's just that some of these OCD/bi-polar buyers wind up being all ecstatic and such and don't cause any problems.

I would respond to the negative that it was just a blip . That you hope it will be removed. In case it isnt, you are aware of the problem, and future bidders should not be worried by it .

I know there is limited space to respond , so all of that wont fit . So use what you think will work best .

lesson here: always empty your PayPal account, every day if you are a busy seller

I've never had it happen but if Paypal feels the need to take money from your account but it's empty, don't they charge your credit card attached to the account?

lesson here: always empty your PayPal account, every day if you are a busy seller

I've never had it happen but if Paypal feels the need to take money from your account but it's empty, don't they charge your credit card attached to the account?

Even if they don't do that they will file against your credit report, so unless you plan on living like the unabomber it really doesn't help to empty your account

If there is not a card attached, or they cannot take it from your account, then they eventually send it to collections.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to do it any other way, but beware, ebay may find in favor of a buyer even if slow media mail transit is part of the problem. I had a situation where a buyer initiated the process BEFORE ebay's own estimated time of delivery had passed and they found in favor of the buyer, despite there being tracking information showing the item is en route (but not yet delivered) and yanked a big chunk of change out of my paypal account.

While everything wasn't solely due to slow media mail shipping, part of the problem was that my first attempt to ship got returned to me (after a chunk of time) because I had some tape over the scannable part of the lable and then, to make up for the delay I added some extra freebies to the order, which, of course, took me too much time, and then I re-shipped it two business days after I said I would (first one I got to the p.o. 15 minutes after it closed and then on the next monday was involved in a car accident in route to the p.o. and didn't get the box there until the next day). so a chunk of the delay is shipping the item twice via media mail. but this was like a 25-30 pound box, so other methods would cost sooooo much.

I put in a 5 day handling time in my listing, for these big mixed grab bag lots (which I prepare after the buyer has paid) I guess I will need to give myself 10 days.

Here, we are still way less than a month since payment on this item, but ebay still ruled against me.

we'll see what actually happens to my comics now that the buyer will get them and has his money.

I had a similar experience with media mail and ebay. The item in the end took 5 weeks to get delivered. I understood the buyers reason for opening up a case. He paid for something and got tired of waiting for it. ebay despite the tracking notations of in transit still sided with the buyer and I was understanding as well. I made connections with tracking to email me when package got delivered. the same day it arrived I called ebay and they paid me that same day. Done deal.

I am curious what you paid to ship media mail and what the exact weight was.

Reason is sometimes it's not much more to use a large (or medium) flat rate priority box instead of media mail. Especially with online discount postage. Even less with Commercial Plus pricing.

Sucks this happen to you OP but the lesson here is not to use Media Mail.

Comics with ads go against what is allowed for Media Mail and it is hard to feel bad when something goes wrong with a comic shipment going out Media Mail.

As a buyer I would rather pay to get the item shipped quickly and correctly than rely on Media Mail that does get randomly opened up and searched then have the item end up being delivered to me with additional postage required.

i generally hate it when sellers send ebay items via media mail. they seem to get lost often and im not sure why. its even worse during holiday season. ive had sellers here use media mail often though and have never had a problem, so i question if sellers even sent my items on ebay.

i generally hate it when sellers send ebay items via media mail. they seem to get lost often and im not sure why. its even worse during holiday season. ive had sellers here use media mail often though and have never had a problem, so i question if sellers even sent my items on ebay.

If a seller doesn't offer Delivery Confirmation, ask for it. I will gladly pay the extra... and if they refuse, they get none of my business.

-slym

I don't charge additional for shipping, so I do media. If they want priority they can pay extra, sure.

This was a jam packed magazine box and media was $16.

I didn't have much money in paypal so ebay says I owe. Maybe when dc shows up it will change, I dunno. As I am sure it will get delivered soon, the buyer is actually pretty close.

-slym

Good idea, it would seem. If it's linked to your checking account, can they still get the money?