• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To grade? Or not to grade?

51 posts in this topic

Is it worth more in the bag or out? hm

Depends on what it's a bag of,

Cat's....OUT

Dongs....IN

I'm not even sure what we are talking about anymore... (shrug)

Seams, Dongs, Cosplay, Blocking, Banning, Trimming, Butthurt, Bruce Willis, and Seams.

It's not as if those bags have kept the comic in pristine condition, which I think was the implication of the comics being sold that way.

I think those cheap polybags were only meant to contain a card or other insert that is loose from the comic. Other than Superman #75, I can only relate to the "X-Cutioners Song" story that ran through multiple X-titles back in the early 1990s, which were all bagged & had a card inside, so I may be wrong... but I don't think they were ever put there to protect the comic book.

-slym

I recently acquired a Superman #75 Platinum Edition - Still in the polybag and still sealed. As it stands, for what I paid and what the current eBay markets are, I could sell it now and profit $100 easily.........

However, if I open it, and get it graded this weekend at WizWorld-STL, and if it grades a 9.8, then i'll be looking at a $200 profit minimum, the downside, is that if it grades 9.6 or lower, then I could be looking at not making any money.

The downside is, is since it's in a polybag, I can't see the condition of the book to know whether I should submit it for grading or not......

What do you all think?

The cat is both alive and dead.

:applause:

break the book out, press it and your good. most likely if left as is best your looking at is 9.6

I just don't think that is true. I have a copy of a polybagged book that got bent pretty badly. It has to have some pretty serious damage. You'd never know by the black bag it is wrapped in though.

It's not as if those bags have kept the comic in pristine condition, which I think was the implication of the comics being sold that way.

I think those cheap polybags were only meant to contain a card or other insert that is loose from the comic. Other than Superman #75, I can only relate to the "X-Cutioners Song" story that ran through multiple X-titles back in the early 1990s, which were all bagged & had a card inside, so I may be wrong... but I don't think they were ever put there to protect the comic book.

-slym

Good point. I can only point to Spider-Man 1 as a book that was bagged for no good reason. I picked up some of Topps Kirbyverse comics that were bagged for the purpose of holding a card, and there were some Malibu comics that actually had pogs inside the bag.

I recently acquired a Superman #75 Platinum Edition - Still in the polybag and still sealed. As it stands, for what I paid and what the current eBay markets are, I could sell it now and profit $100 easily.........

However, if I open it, and get it graded this weekend at WizWorld-STL, and if it grades a 9.8, then i'll be looking at a $200 profit minimum, the downside, is that if it grades 9.6 or lower, then I could be looking at not making any money.

The downside is, is since it's in a polybag, I can't see the condition of the book to know whether I should submit it for grading or not......

What do you all think?

The cat is both alive and dead.

:golfclap:^^

break the book out, press it and your good. most likely if left as is best your looking at is 9.6

I just don't think that is true. I have a copy of a polybagged book that got bent pretty badly. It has to have some pretty serious damage. You'd never know by the black bag it is wrapped in though.

exactly! you wont know till you open the bag and see