• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To grade? Or not to grade?

51 posts in this topic

Well, eventually the polybag is going to start deteriorating and might affect the comic itself...

I say, free that puppy and let 'er ride.

-slym

It will not be 9.6 or9.8 because of the seam that the polybag puts in the back cover

There is no seam on the back of the cardstock cover from the seam on the polybag. The poly is fairly clear where the seam is, and I can slide it over to see that there is no imprint left on the rear cover.

Then yours is different than every other copy on the planet. Please sub it and get the Gem Mint 10 that it deserves. Kudos. Be sure and post it when you get it back.

You can be pissy all you want, clearly the loss of your favorite superhero struck a nerve with you, but don't worry.....it's only a story.

Now, to address the other concerns of yours, you can see, actually, anyone could see that there is no seam on the rear cover. The rest of the book? I can't see nor tell it's condition.

Get it done. You clearly know what you are doing. Go get that slab!!!!

Again, you show immaturity for no reason. I have already stated I don't know what to do, the only thing I can say with 100% confidence is that there is no seam on the rear cover. The rest of the book's condition isn't known, which therein lies the problem.

Well, eventually the polybag is going to start deteriorating and might affect the comic itself...

-slym

It will not be 9.6 or9.8 because of the seam that the polybag puts in the back cover

There is no seam on the back of the cardstock cover from the seam on the polybag. The poly is fairly clear where the seam is, and I can slide it over to see that there is no imprint left on the rear cover.

Then yours is different than every other copy on the planet. Please sub it and get the Gem Mint 10 that it deserves. Kudos. Be sure and post it when you get it back.

You can be pissy all you want, clearly the loss of your favorite superhero struck a nerve with you, but don't worry.....it's only a story.

Now, to address the other concerns of yours, you can see, actually, anyone could see that there is no seam on the rear cover. The rest of the book? I can't see nor tell it's condition.

Again, you show immaturity for no reason. I have already stated I don't know what to do, the only thing I can say with 100% confidence is that there is no seam on the rear cover. The rest of the book's condition isn't known, which therein lies the problem.

:gossip: You can't see the seam. It is there. You can only see it when you de-bag it and hold it at an angle. It is very faint, but it is there. You can press it out. I have seen 20 of those de-bagged. They all needed a press to get a 9.8. I'm pissy because, like a true n00b, you ask questions and then don't listen to anything you are told. So :foryou:

-slym

:gossip: You can't see the seam. It is there. You can only see it when you de-bag it and hold it at an angle. It is very faint, but it is there. You can press it out. I have seen 20 of those de-bagged. They all needed a press to get a 9.8. I'm pissy because, like a true n00b, you ask questions and then don't listen to anything you are told. So :foryou:

There is several people in this thread saying to de-bag it. There are several saying to sell it as is......I can't listen to both NOR can I do both.

-slym

There is several people in this thread saying to de-bag it. There are several saying to sell it as is......I can't listen to both NOR can I do both.

It is highly, highly unlikely to get a 9.8 without a press. Use that information as you will. Be fruitful and multiply. Live long and prosper.

It's like 1992 again and people are fighting over the Death of Superman comics.

FU Balls. Go find your removed posts.

Is that some kind of elective surgery, and if so, who would elect to have their post removed? :eek:

-slym

I think you should state your decision is to tear the book in half, the one who tells you to stop and take the other person's advice is the one you should have listened to, that's the only way to know who is truly the platinum's mother.

-slym

Your options are to sell it in the bag or open it to see what you have before you decide.

Option A is simple, sell it.

Option B is going to give you the opportunity to make more money. If it's worthy of having pressed and slabbed, you could make a lot more money. There is a seam on the back of the bag. Unless your book was stored laying flat with the seam side up and nothing laying on top of the book since it was printed, you're going to have an indentation on the book that will affect the CGC grade. If the back side of the book has come into any pressure contact with anything, ie. in a box with other books, the indentation is there. You can't feel it through the bag. Odds are about 99.99999% that the bag has affected your grade. All it takes is a light pressure and 20 years and you have a dent.

Option B also has the downside of you finding out that the book has some significant damage knocking it down into the 9.4 or less grades. In that case, you're probably not going to lose much from what you could sell it for still sealed in the bag. You may lose, what? $25 to $50 at most? While it sucks to lose money, is $25-50 really going to break you? If so, you might want to sell it as it sits and not take chances with your money in the future.

The plus side outweighs the down side, in my opinion. Look at the bag and the condition you feel it was cared for. If it honestly looks like it is in good shape, open it up and see what you've got. You've got a little to lose but a lot to gain.

I always cut open the bags. Sometimes I keep them, just for fun. It's not as if those bags have kept the comic in pristine condition, which I think was the implication of the comics being sold that way.

I still have a couple of subscription Marvels in their mailer bags, with like a 5 mil board inside, and I bet they are in worse shape than the newsstand editions, despite the "bag" and "board." :)

I never owned a copy of Superman #75. Was the story any good?

Sell it and let the buyer worry about it.
But the OP just became the buyer and he's worrying about it. If he sells it, the new buyer is just as likely to come on here with the same question a few weeks from now. Then seanfingh will again intercede with "look for the seam," and the buyer will say "there isn't one," and we will all know this buyer was the one the comic was meant for. :)

Is it worth more in the bag or out? hm

Depends on what it's a bag of,

Cat's....OUT

Dongs....IN