• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHECK OUT THIS FM #2, CGC GRADED 9.2

4 posts in this topic

Wow - that's a beautiful book!!

Do you suppose he got an offer in the vicinity of what the opening bid was to be and decided to take it and pull the auction??

Assumig he got somewhere in the $3000 range what do you think of that price??

I ask because after checking out a few comic prices where #1 is a 9.0 and #2 is a 9.2, the spread seems to be about 3:1 and yet that FM #1 in 9.0 on ebay forever can't get double what this may have gotten.

As you're aware #2 was available in the back pages of the mag for quite a few years for some reason. #'s 1, 3, 4, &5 were last available in Issue #11 (April 1961). #2 was last available in issue # 28 (May 1964), that's an additional 3 years.

When I ordered issues # 2, 6, 7, & 8 somewhere in 1961, # 2 was the only one that was close to being "New". The others ranged from VG to F, which further confuses the story for me. I would think nice copies of # 2 wouldn't be particularly hard to come by... ???

Wow - that's a beautiful book!!

Do you suppose he got an offer in the vicinity of what the opening bid was to be and decided to take it and pull the auction??

Assumig he got somewhere in the $3000 range what do you think of that price??

I ask because after checking out a few comic prices where #1 is a 9.0 and #2 is a 9.2, the spread seems to be about 3:1 and yet that FM #1 in 9.0 on ebay forever can't get double what this may have gotten.

As you're aware #2 was available in the back pages of the mag for quite a few years for some reason. #'s 1, 3, 4, &5 were last available in Issue #11 (April 1961). #2 was last available in issue # 28 (May 1964), that's an additional 3 years.

When I ordered issues # 2, 6, 7, & 8 somewhere in 1961, # 2 was the only one that was close to being "New". The others ranged from VG to F, which further confuses the story for me. I would think nice copies of # 2 wouldn't be particularly hard to come by... ???

I would guess he got in that range which would be about what the net would be after eBay fees and such.

FM #1 had two printings and 260,000 copies issued and almost sold out. For some reason FM #2 did not sell very well when it first came out and alot of issues were stored in the warehouse despite a lower printing that FM #1.

Interestingly, NOSTOMANIA (whom many criticize for being a bit high on valuations of FM) lists the 9.2 CGC graded/slabbed FM #2 U.S. variant at $1,320 . They value an ungraded 9.2 FM #2 at $1,050.

9.2 CGC graded/slabbed FM ##1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are valued way, way higher than FM #2 in the NOSTOMANIA catalogue. So, your instincts are correct. FM #2 is not as rare or desirable as the other very early issues. However, the FM #2 British variant is quite rare and valued alot higher than its American cousin.

- Mike