• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8 looking kind of hot...

21 posts in this topic

A combination of factors are involved with that particular auction of that particular book...

but the biggest factor for this auction is that it's been

23 months since the only auction of CGC 9.8 for Harbinger 1 ($200 in Sept. 2002.)

There will undoubtedly be more copies graded at 9.8 and posted on Ebay...

but the "want it now" factor has been building for almost two years.

This sale, and the sales that are sure to follow will definitely be interesting.

Is it possible that there is some shill bidding going on here?

2263433785 Aug-15-04 Aug-22-04 09:20:13 US $518.00 HARBINGER #1 CGC 9.8 - RARE, RARE, RARE, HOT, HOT, HOT ciara281971 tlc55555 
2263436265 Aug-15-04 Aug-22-04 09:33:45 US $93.00 MAGNUS#0 CGC 9.8 - VALIANT - HOT - PRE UNITY ciara281971 tlc55555 
2263437057 Aug-15-04 Aug-22-04 09:38:05 US $107.50 HARBINGER#0 CGC 9.8 - VALIANT - HOT - PRE UNITY ciara281971 tlc55555 

All ciara281971 has purchased in recent months is inexpensive Beach Boys "stuff." What do you suppose made this person suddenly decide that now is the time to own Valiant high-grade books?

Larry

What do you suppose made this person suddenly decide that now is the time to own Valiant high-grade books?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know but they haven't placed a single bid on the Rai #1 CGC 9.8...

admittedly, it's an easier book to find... so if they're just "deciding to pursue" Valiant,

they certainly seem to know which three Valiant books to pursue.

(For the record I don't believe that ciara281971 is connected to tlc55555 in any way...

but it is weird when "new bidders" know to pick the most expensive items.)

If Valiant auction history is any indication, bidder "aug002" isn't done yet...

and we haven't heard from "rotphungte", "brharrelson", or "heang22" yet...

but that could be because sniping software might speak for them later.

(Interestingly, those 4 guys have been spending 'big money' on CGC Valiants,

but as far as I know, they are not members of the Valiant messageboard.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WOW! ooo.gif

$969.60.....

Ok, so who's got a box of Harbinger #1's to send to CGC?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

stooges.gif

From what I've heard, Valiant collectors with multiple copies of the book have been getting

9.8s at a ratio of about 1 in 20... the seller in this case submitted his 5 best copies

(out of about two dozen) and received 4 in 9.4 and the one 9.8.

Yes, there will be more... but unless you're pre-screening,

and you already have access to multiple really nice copies...

it might be expensive to find them. grin.gif

Prior to this 9.8 auction...

9.6's have averaged $75 each (most recent sale was $100)

9.4's have averaged $50 each (both sales in 2004 are 'buy it nows' around $60)

That's a HUGE drop in value from a 9.8 to a 9.6....Amazing what one is willing to pay for the .2 difference in grade. I have 9.6 white and I paid less then a $100 for it.

but $969.60 for a 9.8 893whatthe.gif

I've another raw copy of Harbinger 1 that I'm going to send in to CGC. It won't be a 9.8, but I've a good shot at a 9.4.

I think the price is a sort-of self fulfilling prophecy since the speculation over at Valiantcomics.com on the message boards was that this may be a $1,000 book for many days while it was up running. A look at the bidding history shows that only two bidders were in play above $550 or so; both well-known Valiant collectors. I don't see prices on this book holding up even in the short term, let alone long term.

I predict next Harby #1 9.8 goes for $550 or less, and the one after that doesn't break $400. Get five of the 9.8's in play in the next six months to one year and you're back to more sensible levels between the 9.6 and the 9.8.

But that's just my opinion of course!

That's a HUGE drop in value from a 9.8 to a 9.6....Amazing what one is willing to pay for the .2 difference in grade.

The difference in grade doesn't matter. The buyers of these type of books have to have THE BEST.

That's a HUGE drop in value from a 9.8 to a 9.6....Amazing what one is willing to pay for the .2 difference in grade.

The difference in grade doesn't matter. The buyers of these type of books have to have THE BEST.

Prior to the $969 price for the CGC 9.8 Harbinger #1,

the only other sale was for $200 (in 2002).

$100 for CGC 9.6

and

$200 for CGC 9.8

is a little closer to expectations.

It will be interesting to see if the $969 for 9.8 affects the

price of 9.6 and 9.4 on Harbinger #1 in the future.

(Especially if the next 9.8 sells around $500-$600.)

Prior to the $969 price for the CGC 9.8 Harbinger #1,

the only other sale was for $200 (in 2002).

$100 for CGC 9.6

and

$200 for CGC 9.8

is a little closer to expectations.

It will be interesting to see if the $969 for 9.8 affects the

price of 9.6 and 9.4 on Harbinger #1 in the future.

(Especially if the next 9.8 sells around $500-$600.)

VM I am surprised that you have not mentioned your little steal a few weeks ago...man that is really looking like some deal now..I think that I would flip that harbinger 1 on principle right now. Plus you could instantly see where the market is on this book...I honestly hope that there was no shilling involved with this auction, but I guess that there is really no way to know...

VM I am surprised that you have not mentioned your little steal a few weeks ago...man that is really looking like some deal now..I think that I would flip that harbinger 1 on principle right now. Plus you could instantly see where the market is on this book...I honestly hope that there was no shilling involved with this auction, but I guess that there is really no way to know...

I got lucky.

Amazingly, four of those six books are "new highs" in my personal collection.

Seeing how I didn't have a Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8 beforehand,

I'm not ready to be without one now.

So, yes, I have one, and no, it's not for sale.

If I was a "flipper", I'd probably go for it...

but I prefer to own the book than to have the cash.

(After all, any price with three digits isn't exactly a fortune anyway.) grin.gif

I guess those "stacks and stacks" will just have to be submitted

so that the price can fall and I can pick up a few more.

thumbsup2.gif

yeah...I cant see where you wanted to keep it...I was thinking that you had picked up one of the earlier harbinger 1's so that this wasnt your first. If you already had one would you flip it? Probably not, huh? That is cool. anyway congrats on the BIN and it looks better and better everyday huh... thumbsup2.gif