• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Dragoncon compare to Megacon

7 posts in this topic

I haven't been to Dragoncon since the late 90s. I just came back from Megacon 2013 :grin:. As far as the number and quality of comic book dealers how does Dragoncon compare to Megacon? Will I predominantly see the same dealers I see at Megacon? I mostly collect silver age and some golden age.

The big difference between Dragoncon and any other con is that it is a hotel con. It takes place in five hotels all connected by bridges so you never technically have to leave the convention.

What this causes is two things. 1. The convention never ends. It goes on 24 hrs straight. They have panels scheduled at 3 in the morning. 2. It becomes one big party with even the celebs going in. I have run into so many famous people at the hotel parties there it is unbelievable.

If you just want a chance to unwind and party this is definitely the best con to go to. Costumes here are at a level Megacon could never hit and you still have access to comics to buy and artists to get things signed. Also from what I understand is they have moved the location of the dealer room this year to give the dealers and people walking buy more room. This should make it more comic book friendly.

One other thing to mention is the comic art talent that comes to DragonCon may not be anywhere near the quantity but they do bring in the "quality" and there's quite a few less people there actually looking for them.