• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing comics in 3 ring binder sleeves

6 posts in this topic

There's been a recent thread about 3 ring binder sleeves, and some people didn't think it's a good idea to store comics in binders. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6510488&fpart=1

I only have about 75 slabs. Right now I display all my slabs on shelfs in my comic book room.

Almost all my other comics are ungraded and stored in short and long boxes. There are some comics where I like the covers, but I don't want to grade them for one reason or another, and don't have room on the shelves to display them. But I like them enough that I don't want them to disappear into comic boxes.

So for those comics, I put them into 3 ring binders, in mylar binder sleeves. You have to be careful to not damage the comics when you put them in, but after a few times you get the hang of it. I put an acid free board in the sleeve and put a comic on either side.

Here's my Dave Stevens notebook:

DSCN3046_zpse357399f.jpg

DSCN3048_zps2ec8407b.jpg

DSCN3049_zps07d2901a.jpg

DSCN3052_zpsfb89fb56.jpg

DSCN3051_zps6f7e349d.jpg

I bought a whole OO collection once that was all stored this way, he didnt send me the binders, but all the comics were in 3 hole sleeves. I took those out (they were silver age comics) put them in mylars and use the 3 hole sleeves to keep my childhood comics (80s marvel in beat up read condition).

think its a great way to store comics that dont have great $$ value, but lots of sentimental value.

love the dave stevens collection. the only one i have is planet comics #1 - something i accidentally came upon while searching for golden age fiction house planet comics.

i think im gonna have to get some more of that modern GGA.

3 rings binder pages are always getting hung up on the rings (ESPECIALLY D-rings) when you turn the pages, etc., twisting, snagging, bending, etc....

Seems like a GREAT way to damage your comics in a hurry.

But if you never really look at them or turn the pages, I guess it's probably okay.

Yeah, they do stick. I put a thick acid free backing board in the sleeve so the book doesn't bend. But I agree a 3 ring binder is not the way to go if you want to keep your books in the best shape possible. Either a slab or a standard mylar with acid free backing board (a size bigger than the comic) is the way to go for that. But for display purposes, a 3 ring binder is alot better than long boxes.

I bought a whole OO collection once that was all stored this way, he didnt send me the binders, but all the comics were in 3 hole sleeves. I took those out (they were silver age comics) put them in mylars and use the 3 hole sleeves to keep my childhood comics (80s marvel in beat up read condition).

think its a great way to store comics that dont have great $$ value, but lots of sentimental value.

love the dave stevens collection. the only one i have is planet comics #1 - something i accidentally came upon while searching for golden age fiction house planet comics.

i think im gonna have to get some more of that modern GGA.

I also collect GA gga, although Stevens is one of my favorite gga artists of any age. I think you can definitely see Matt Baker and LB Cole in his art.

DSCN3075_zps2f8e43e8.jpg

DSCN3076_zps345f836c.jpg

I also like J. Scott Campbell, and see Dave Stevens in his work, although Campbell's girls are more unrealistically busty compared to the others. Probably most fans like that, but because of that unrealistic aspect, Campbell will never rate as high as the others in my eyes.

DSCN3088_zps05da20d1.jpg

DSCN3084_zps1d90b839.jpg

DSCN3090_zps13aeb09b.jpg

Oh man - nice Jetpack 9.9. I was reeeeeally hoping I'd bingo on mine because of that super thick cardstock, but I didn't get lucky.

JSC = :cloud9::headbang:(worship)