• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*edit* okay, PGM Uncanny X-Men 109

13 posts in this topic

***EDIT*** Images are a few posts down!

I have an X-Men #109 (1977) that would grade a solid 7 except for the lower staple has (cleanly, I have to add) separated from the cover. This a is a book my mom bought me when I was 13 for Christmas (from Mile High no less, prolly charged her the VF/NM rate, too) and hasn't been out of that bag since then (yes, yes, I know, I know, but I also know I didn't cause this damage.)

Given the 7.0 grade, due to mildly bent over hang and a few spine ticks, how much does the unattached bottom staple knock the grade down? Sorry, I don't have a good scanner and the one I do have is somewhere in my storage space, although I plan on digging it out to use soon, so no pics...

Please, any help/advice is appreciated.

-slym

VG 4.0

Average used copy with significant moderate wear. Overall look is as if read many times. Corners are probably blunted and worn, cover likely has low reflectivity, spine may have a moderate roll or up to a 1" split, staples may have discoloration, and pages can be tan but not brittle. Minor cover soiling and minor to moderate staple tears allowed. Up to 5/8" piece may be missing on corner or edge. Cover may have moderate to significant surface wear with moderate cover creases. Cover and centerfold may be loose, and centerfold may be detached at one staple.

I'm not sure if this fits, but one staple being completely detached may make it this grade. If it was just loose you'd have a lot of wiggle room. That sucks, the store should not have sold it as vf/nm. That was BS on their part if they sold it with the detached staple. Thats why I never ask for comics from anyone, I'm always afraid the store will try to overcharge someone and if you don't know what to look for, you can get taken.

Knocking the grade down to a VG (no matter the starting grade) is according to Overstreet standards alone.

I think CGC in this case it is more accurate, and possibly more fair, as the book should grade 1.5 to 2 points less, so if it was a 7.0 it can be a 5.0/5.5. Or a qualified 7.0 if you prefer. Many professional sellers have high grade copies in their inventory, and if a book is desirable they just price it halfway between the lower grade and the expected one.

Don’t be surprised about this: you can’t even imagine how many times this happened to me. It’s often related to a manufacturing defect, where the paper is excessively pressed. For example, I had a Fantastic Four #67 which I have owned for a long time, and one day, while I was gently browsing it, the bottom staple popped.

It seems more common with mid-Silver Age books (mid 1960s) rather than with late Silver and Bronze.

Don’t be surprised about this: you can’t even imagine how many times this happened to me. It’s often related to a manufacturing defect, where the paper is excessively pressed. For example, I had a Fantastic Four #67 which I have owned for a long time, and one day, while I was gently browsing it, the bottom staple popped.

It seems more common with mid-Silver Age books (mid 1960s) rather than with late Silver and Bronze.

There are numerous SA/early Bronze issue for which this is notorious. Two that immediately come to mind are:

Creatures on the Loose #10 (1st Kull / Wrightson Cover & Art)

Marvel Preview? #2 (Neal Adams / Red Wolf Cover)

I will admit - this is a darn-cleanly popped staple. I imagine Chuckles & his crowd back in the day never saw it, as I am 99.999% sure it happened before it ever reached my hands.

I promise, this will be disclosed if I try to sell the book either here or on eBay.

-slym

OK, to make this a proper thread in this part of the forum, give this book a once over and, ignoring that you already know it has a popped staple, give it your best shot at grading.

FYI - the staple in question is right where Weapon Alpha/Guardian/Vindicator's blast that bounces off Colossus' chest and goes off the cover is. It is a very clean popped staple.

;)

xmen10901.jpg

xmen10902.jpg

-slym

I would agree on your assigned grade, i.e. FVF 7.0, but I think it could be anywhere between 6.5 and 7.5. Mid-grades are tougher to grade…

As for the popped staple, it can happen, or it can happen it is almost popped and you did notice. I bought an Avengers #59 from a boardie here, which is really beautiful but had a popped staple, and the seller nicely refunded me the price difference between the stated 7.0 and a 5.5.

But it’s my personal fixation: I don’t like popped staples, and I prefer a lower grade book with staples attached, so I am still looking for a nice-priced high grade #59. :)

Thanks!!! :) I was really disappointed to find the popped staple, but what can I do, ask Chuck Rozanski for a refund almost 30 years later?

Hmm, maybe if he is high enough... nah, even he has more business sense than that. :lol:

-slym