• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daredevil 10 Rivera Cover - WTF Happened?

25 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is in poor form to discuss or if there's something obvious or some kind of "in joke" i missed, but does anyone know what happened with this cover?

It just sold on Clink for $16k.

Showed up two days ago on CAF with a HUGE (and weird) inscription from Rivera across the top black area, signed in silver sharpie. The description was weird and vague and now it's been completely removed from CAF.

I can only hope that someone photoshopped and posted as a gag...'cause the thought of that being done to the art kinda makes me wanna gag...

Any insight?

Apologies if this is in poor form to discuss or if there's something obvious or some kind of "in joke" i missed, but does anyone know what happened with this cover?

It just sold on Clink for $16k.

Showed up two days ago on CAF with a HUGE (and weird) inscription from Rivera across the top black area, signed in silver sharpie. The description was weird and vague and now it's been completely removed from CAF.

I can only hope that someone photoshopped and posted as a gag...'cause the thought of that being done to the art kinda makes me wanna gag...

Any insight?

It was a gag gift to one of the losing bidders for the piece from one of his friends. It was a full-size photocopied reproduction of the OA from the ComicLink scan. Rivera did not have anything to do with the inscription/signature or play any part in the gag. I thought it was pretty funny, though apparently I missed some of the choice comments from people who didn't get the joke.

Thanks, Gene. I was pretty sure that would be the case but after seeing some of the comments on CAF, i really wasn't sure what was up. After seeing some brutal signatures in the middle of art, etc, nothing surprises me anymore....

I would have loved to post pics but it's been removed from CAF so i had nothing to link to.

That sold for 16k?!

At first I was shocked, but this is by far the most well executed modern cover I've seen.

Then I thought whether I would rather own 5 mediocre copper/modern covers or this one spectacular piece. I'd choose this piece 100 times out of 100.

That sold for 16k?!

At first I was shocked, but this is by far the most well executed modern cover I've seen.

Then I thought whether I would rather own 5 mediocre copper/modern covers or this one spectacular piece. I'd choose this piece 100 times out of 100.

I think $16K is high, but I can understand the rationale. For a Modern piece that is of exceptional quality and arguably an artist's best, I think it's perfectly fair to throw out the "comps" of his other work's prices as being meaningless. I mean, it would make no sense for this cover to sell for, say, $6K. What else can you get of comparable quality for that price? The answer: nothing. And, it really seems like the price for exceptional pieces starts around $15K these days (at least $10K in any case). I think a $10-$15K price tag would be perfectly justified, and $16K is certainly not egregious in that context.

I paid a comparable price, as you know, for that spectacular Tony Millionaire piece I bought in 2010. I'm sure no other piece of his would sell for anywhere close. But, that piece is otherworldly special and was worth every penny I paid for it. Similarly, I've had a LOT of inquiries about my Greg Horn Elektra #3 cover over the years (I know you're not a fan, Chris). That's easily Greg's best-ever cover and one of the most recognizable covers of the entire decade of the '00s. I wouldn't even consider selling it for anything less than multiples of where his other work sells for, because it would take that much cash to buy anything even remotely comparably awesome to replace it.

So, $16K for the DD #10...yeah, I get it too.

That sold for 16k?!

I think $16K is high, but I can understand the rationale. For a Modern piece that is of exceptional quality and arguably an artist's best, I think it's perfectly fair to throw out the "comps" of his other work's prices as being meaningless. I mean, it would make no sense for this cover to sell for, say, $6K. What else can you get of comparable quality for that price? The answer: nothing. And, it really seems like the price for exceptional pieces starts around $15K these days (at least $10K in any case). I think a $10-$15K price tag would be perfectly justified, and $16K is certainly not egregious in that context.

I paid a comparable price, as you know, for that spectacular Tony Millionaire piece I bought in 2010. I'm sure no other piece of his would sell for anywhere close. But, that piece is otherworldly special and was worth every penny I paid for it. Similarly, I've had a LOT of inquiries about my Greg Horn Elektra #3 cover over the years (I know you're not a fan, Chris). That's easily Greg's best-ever cover and one of the most recognizable covers of the entire decade of the '00s. I wouldn't even consider selling it for anything less than multiples of where his other work sells for, because it would take that much cash to buy anything even remotely comparably awesome to replace it.

So, $16K for the DD #10...yeah, I get it too.

:whistle: The heart wants what the hearts wants. I won't judge you. :foryou:

Ok, the level of detail is superb, but 16K is a lot of scratch for a modern cover who's main figure is Mole Man :eek:

Mole Man was the first villain of the Marvel (superhero) silver age.

Totally unfamiliar with the artist for the cover in question, but there's no denying it's one heck of a cover. (thumbs u

Ok, the level of detail is superb, but 16K is a lot of scratch for a modern cover who's main figure is Mole Man :eek:

Totally unfamiliar with the artist for the cover in question, but there's no denying it's one heck of a cover. (thumbs u

The House of Ideas got off to a slow start in the villain category :/

And 50+ years later Mole Man's still digging......

That would make the next Stilt Man Cover worth 50K :baiting:

There have been 4 of them...pick one. The first one didn't appear until 4 years after Moley Mole Mole. There's still only one Mole Man.

And I can't continue this conversation if you thing Stiltman > Moley rantrant

There have been 4 of them...pick one. The first one didn't appear until 4 years after Moley Mole Mole. There's still only one Mole Man.

And I can't continue this conversation if you thing Stiltman > Moley rantrant

I was using Stilty for level of villain context. But all kidding aside ..

The cover does deliver a Wrightson-esque level of detail, of that there is no question. I just counter that the image depiction itself suffers as DD is secondary to Mole Man in terms of context within the composition of the art.

I will say Kudos to the artist for achieving such a high level of their craft and actually not pandering to the masses like me by drawing a cover to echo the theme of the actual interior story (yes I own and read the comic), which has Mole man as a central focus for the story.

Still the 16K did cause me to raise an eyebrow as its :censored: Mole Man :grin::sumo:

Yeah I agree 16k is a high amount, BUT, sometimes the quality of the art itself renders the characters in the piece almost redundant - I think this piece is a case in point. I have not read the story but fell for the quality the moment I saw it on HA. Incredible line work.

Just a shame that I have champagne taste but only beer money, or I would have been chasing it as well !

Congrats to whoever owns it

It's an incredible piece and an incredible story.

This is arguably Paolo Rivera's crown jewel out there... it's a lot of money for sure but this cover's probably one of the best in the modern era.