• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of High Grade

121 posts in this topic

9.8 and above for me. No sliding scale for gold, silver, etc. If the book is 70's on up, I simply won't buy one graded at less than 9.8. Now, I have plenty of my original raw collection that are not that nice, but I won't actively go out and buy one that isn't 9.8-- they are just not that uncommon.

You have a big wallet for those 9.8 gold,silver and bronze books?

Like I said, for 70's and up, yes. No reason to buy a 9.4 and then later buy a 9.8 anyway. Just get the 9.8 and move on to the next one you want. Might even save money in the long run!

Good luck with that endeavor. (thumbs u

'High grade' has nothing to do with scarcity, nothing to do with age.

It is a term used to describe a book with minor wear, no major defects, excellent eye-appeal. I'd personally say VF or better fits that description.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

:/

(worship) I was hoping you would chime in.

That's just b/c he agrees with you. :baiting:

I understand that position, but I still think there should be some sliding scale in regards to age.

A 9.0 GA book and a 9.0 Copper are NOT "the same".

Yes they are. :baiting:

'High grade' is a descriptive term relating wholly to condition and identifies a set of common attributes.

You go to buy a fridge. The first shop you go into has only one small model in stock. The second store you visit has two hundred fridges, including the one you've already seen in the first shop. It now doesn't look so hot in such illustrious company.

But it remains a fridge...it's not suddenly a cat box.

9.0 and up are high grade. 8.5 to 5.0 are mid grade. 4.5 and below are low grade.

9.8 and above for me. No sliding scale for gold, silver, etc. If the book is 70's on up, I simply won't buy one graded at less than 9.8. Now, I have plenty of my original raw collection that are not that nice, but I won't actively go out and buy one that isn't 9.8-- they are just not that uncommon.

You have a big wallet for those 9.8 gold,silver and bronze books?

Like I said, for 70's and up, yes. No reason to buy a 9.4 and then later buy a 9.8 anyway. Just get the 9.8 and move on to the next one you want. Might even save money in the long run!

And fair play to you for having a clear strategy. (thumbs u

However, the problem people are having here is confusing what is 'high grade' (objective) and what is 'high enough grade for my personal collecting foibles' (subjective).

If there is a CGC copy of a Golden Age book and it's the highest graded copy, I'm guessing people will cal it high grade as they should.

In the extremely unlikely event of a warehouse find of this particular issue in NM does that mean that the original copy is no longer high grade because there are now plenty of higher graded ones? Of course not, it's still the same comic and shouldn't change from a high grade to a mid grade copy due to outside forces.

The same grade should make both a Golden Age and a Modern Age comic, high grade. There's just a lot more of one than the other.

It is a term used to describe a book with minor wear, no major defects, excellent eye-appeal. I'd personally say VF or better fits that description.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

I understand that position, but I still think there should be some sliding scale in regards to age.

'High grade' is a descriptive term relating wholly to condition and identifies a set of common attributes.

You go to buy a fridge. The first shop you go into has only one small model in stock. The second store you visit has two hundred fridges, including the one you've already seen in the first shop. It now doesn't look so hot in such illustrious company.

All depends on how you define it...if it's a strict scale, you're right. If uit's a sliding scale, like I choose to define it, it's not.

IMO, an Action #1 in 8.0 is a HG book. ASM#265 is not.

By your definition. they are the same.

Neither one of us is correct or wrong.

High grade: takes me a full second to see any fault with it.

Mid grade: I notice the major faults immediately, but I still like the way it looks

Low grade: the faults are distracting and I think I'll hurt the book by trying to read it.

I can be very simple-minded when it comes to comics. :)

This.

lol

I take the term High grade literally .I feel that factors such as rarity and age of the book should not be used.

Defining high grade could be tricky as it is based on how you grade the book or how well you think it looks which we know is a subjective.

I would classify high grade to anything 9.0 or higher but that is just me.

Edit:

I just read Flaming Telepaths post and totally agree with that.