• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of High Grade

121 posts in this topic

I may be wrong, and there are probably some exceptions, but I get the feeling that most of the people saying there should be no distinction made for era are not GA collectors.

Just sayin' :whistle:

What does that matter though? As been said before, condition is based on each comics' merit, much like a car. If every 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe was a rust-bucket, not one car collector would call the best of the rust-buckets "high grade" and it is both old & rare (only six ever built.)

:shrug:

-slym

I may be wrong, and there are probably some exceptions, but I get the feeling that most of the people saying there should be no distinction made for era are not GA collectors.

Just sayin' :whistle:

What does that matter though? As been said before, condition is based on each comics' merit, much like a car. If every 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe was a rust-bucket, not one car collector would call the best of the rust-buckets "high grade" and it is both old & rare (only six ever built.)

:shrug:

-slym

What I'm saying is that if you polled GA collectors, SA collectors, BA & up collectors separately, each group will probably have very different definitions.

If a person who mostly collects late bronze 9.8 books doesn't think a gorgeous 8.0 from 1939 isn't high grade, then there is a lack of understanding of that very different collecting era.

OK, let's say the best Bugatti had only a little rust, original paint, but no topcoat gloss, bent rims, flat tyres (heh) and a cracked windshield?

Is it still high grade?

I mean, the numbers/grades are already in place for comics - I just can't see how anything that doesn't fit the definition can be considered "high grade" only due to age and/or rarity.

There is definitely a difference between "high grade" and "highest grade available.

Also, 8.0 would be considered high grade by people in concurrence with my mindset.

;)

-slym

OK, let's say the best Bugatti had only a little rust, original paint, but no topcoat gloss, bent rims, flat tyres (heh) and a cracked windshield?

Is it still high grade?

I mean, the numbers/grades are already in place for comics - I just can't see how anything that doesn't fit the definition can be considered "high grade" only due to age and/or rarity.

There is definitely a difference between "high grade" and "highest grade available.

Also, 8.0 would be considered high grade by people in concurrence with my mindset.

;)

-slym

But how many SA collectors or BA collectors would consider 8.0 HG for SA and BA books? Some maybe, but not the majority I would image.

Again, "high grade" and "highest available grade" are two different things. If a Hulk 181 gets a 8.5, it is still high grade. Does not matter one whit if there are ten of thousands of copies higher graded, THAT book is still "high grade."

Again with the car analogy ; if a 2003 Toyota Camry has only 95000 miles on it and no rust, paint still shiny, all seals tight with no leaks, and perfect interior, it is "high grade" no matter how many Camrys are still out there. Age & rarity make no difference.

My logic sensors tell me two things - a standard is a standard, and people's own opinions sometimes override those standards. Sometimes facts don't matter.

*sigh*

-slym

You can also look at this mathematically.

10 point scale

3 grade levels: Low Grade, Mid Grade, High Grade

10/3 = 3.33

So...

0 - 3.5 = Low Grade

4.0 - 7.0 = Mid Grade

7.5 - 10.0 = High Grade

:)

I tried convincing my parents that 75% was a high grade once.

One last post here for the night - let me extend the car analogy further. Say there is a Toyota Camry from 2013, but it has 85000 miles. However, the paint is intact with no dents, dings, or rust ; all windows and other seals are tight ; A/C is still cold ; windshield intact ; no "wrong" mechanical sounds with the engine & transmission still shifting smoothly ; but other than the mileage, it has lost a little of the paint gloss, it has a few scratches on the drivers-side door, and the tires are worn.

That car is still "high grade" - no matter if there are better condition cars, and no matter if it is a little less desirable due to the mileage.

I mean, no one wants a comic that came out last week to be an 8.5 due to a corner bump and cover scuffing, but BY DEFINITION it is still high-grade. Condition has nothing to do with desirability, even if the reverse is true.

Peace out.

-slym

Is it still high grade?

;)

-slym

But how many SA collectors or BA collectors would consider 8.0 HG for SA and BA books? Some maybe, but not the majority I would image.

I consider 8.0 to be the beginning of high grade regardless of age/era.

People want to qualify the standard based on individual books and the age or era of a book. That degrades the standard.

An 8.0 modern is still high grade. Maybe no one will want it because there are far higher graded copies out there of the comic, but that doesn't make the 8.0 modern lower grade.

And anyone saying that an 8.0 GA isn't high grade clearly doesn't understand what they are talking about.

These threads are always so useless. The terms high, mid, and low grade are for non-hardcore collectors, but the hardcores always want to complicate them. If you show your grandparents an 8.0 and a 9.4 and try to explain to them why one is high grade and the other isn't, they're likely to begin to wonder whether or not the reason you turned out like this is their fault or their childrens' fault. :insane:

These threads are always so useless. The terms high, mid, and low grade are for non-hardcore collectors, but the hardcores always want to complicate them. If you show your grandparents an 8.0 and a 9.4 and try to explain to them why one is high grade and the other isn't, they're likely to begin to wonder whether or not the reason you turned out like this is their fault or their childrens' fault. :insane:

ruler.jpg

ruler.jpg

Reruns are what suck. This episode replays too often. The first half-dozen times were mildly entertaining. I suppose that begs the question of why I clicked on it in the first place. :insane: My bad. :blush:

I suppose that begs the question of why I clicked on it in the first place. :insane: My bad. :blush:

I hear ya. I typed out three replies and erased all three before posting because I didn't want to get caught up in it again.

On the fourth try, I failed my saving throw and here we are. :P

I type the same reply every time this rerun is shown.

I am consistent.

I expected you to grade one of your comments at 7.0 and call it a high grade comment because it was particularly pithy. However, the more commonplace and mundane replies, while graded quite high at 9.2 were not considered hg comments.

I am consistent.

I expected you to grade one of your comments at 7.0 and call it a high grade comment because it was particularly pithy. However, the more commonplace and mundane replies, while graded quite high at 9.2 were not considered hg comments.

One of my comments has a CVA sticker.

I am consistent.

One of my comments has a CVA sticker.

^^