• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG That's Available!?!?

26 posts in this topic

DC's Super Powers toyline was a comic I read and a toy I played with as a kid. So I bought an interior page from that issue. Then I saw on CAF the *last* page of that same issue. I commented and joked to the owner (since I was sure it was a grail) that if he was willing to let it go, I would be interested. It was a longshot and just a lukewarm offer since I already had a nice example interior page from that issue.

Lo and behold, the owner eventually remembered my comment, sent me a private message that he was selling it. I was jumping for joy! It was my personal grail - pure Kirby pencils, Kirby's last sequential page ever drawn for DC, and features ALL of the Super Powers good guys from the toyline. I could not believe it was available. I am still in shock I own this page! Here it is:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=981327

And since I already own that, just in case, I might be willing to put my other Kirby interior page in the trading block if anyone is interested. Here it is:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=888577

I think it falls into two catagories for me: one is "I can't believe that piece has actually surfaced, even though there's no way in hell I'll ever be a contender, but the spectacle to see what happens with the outcome be entertainment enough (DKR2 cover, GLGA 76, Watchmen covers, etc)," and then "Wow, this is a dream piece and  I could actually make a realistic attempt for this piece!"

With the former, it seems like once every year or two, there's a legendary piece on Heritage.  In fact, I even think the frequency of the big deal legend pieces surfacing on Heritage has increased.  

With the latter, though, idk... I'm a lot more jaded.  There's a lot of neat stuff coming up on Heritage/Clink that I'd be thrilled to own, but none of it is keeping me awake at night.  I don't really know what goes on in the private circles, but I follow the auctions like clockwork, and I'd say, maybe once every half dozen auction cycles there's "that one..."

I seem to have a knack for missing stuff on CAF - I have never seen a piece I've really wanted surface there - and eBay is kind of a wasteland now that I haven't really checked (outside of a tip from a kind soul every so often), but definitely ten years or more, it seemed like there was incredible stuff surfacing every week.  

The first time that happened to me at a price I could actually afford was actually about a month ago.  It was a Michael Turner page from his run on Superman/Batman (Supergirl) and I've been looking for a great affordable page from that series for years.  It was a tremendously exciting feeling even after having to sell a few things retroactively to be able to pay for it :) 

Edited by Thawk

Hi,

Long time lurker, finally posting.  I had one those OMG! moments a few months ago. I was on Anthonys site and saw the Mike Allred Han Solo #1 cover was for sale.  I sent a purchase request and crossed my fingers.  Seemed like hours before I got a reply, but the confirmation email arrived and the cover a few days later.  A couple years ago I found a great Perez Avengers half splash on CAF that  I couldn't believe was still available.