• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY fee changes / increases

91 posts in this topic

So, with PayPal and eBay together it's going from roughly 10% to 13% off the top?

:doh:

Forgot to add in the insertion fee and the SHIPPING fee, which I have NEVER understood. How/why does eBay get a cut of the shipping cost. Really??

Double :doh:

How/why does eBay get a cut of the shipping cost. Really??

Yes that is ridiculous, basically "robbery", fortunately its not made its way over to the UK... Yet.

So, with PayPal and eBay together it's going from roughly 10% to 13% off the top?

:doh:

Forgot to add in the insertion fee and the SHIPPING fee, which I have NEVER understood. How/why does eBay get a cut of the shipping cost. Really??

Double :doh:

? After you have used your freebies up. Standard account "Up to 50 FREE listings per month" auction or BIN

Either way it sounds like you are feeling Ebay's insertion*

*fees

For shipping... I am not sure why they are allowed to charge a fee if you are using the 'calculate' method. Makes no sense.

I do get a discount on my shipping price when I use eBay so it evens out (or at least comes close.)

I switched to Free shipping / priority boxed on all high grade raws so that I don't have to worry about getting dinged on my stars for the fact buyers don't realize stuff keeps going up. I started cutting up large flat rate boxes for cardboard, using flat rate bubble mailers to wrap the cardboard sandwich and then floating that in newspaper inside a non-flat rate priority box. The only cost now is tape (since they discontinued the free priority tape) and time.

I don't think they realize that they are an economy and changes like this have a pretty large effect on the market for certain items. Most sellers will just charge more for their items to account for the rise in eBay fees. That in turn causes some LCS to raise their local price because of the warped mentality of "well.. it would cost you $xx.xx on eBay.."

For shipping... I am not sure why they are allowed to charge a fee if you are using the 'calculate' method. Makes no sense.

I do get a discount on my shipping price when I use eBay so it evens out (or at least comes close.)

I switched to Free shipping / priority boxed on all high grade raws so that I don't have to worry about getting dinged on my stars for the fact buyers don't realize stuff keeps going up. I started cutting up large flat rate boxes for cardboard, using flat rate bubble mailers to wrap the cardboard sandwich and then floating that in newspaper inside a non-flat rate priority box. The only cost now is tape (since they discontinued the free priority tape) and time.

I don't think they realize that they are an economy and changes like this have a pretty large effect on the market for certain items. Most sellers will just charge more for their items to account for the rise in eBay fees. That in turn causes some LCS to raise their local price because of the warped mentality of "well.. it would cost you $xx.xx on eBay.."

dont cut up the priority boxes. you might one day get caught and that will be bad. order supplies for cardboard or get them from stores. if you order them, include the cost in each listing.

dont cut up the priority boxes. you might one day get caught and that will be bad. order supplies for cardboard or get them from stores. if you order them, include the cost in each listing.

I'm quite lucky that my work has lots of card to get rid of each week. It's so damn time consuming cutting it all though.

Agree, I never understood why people misuse the FREE boxes from USPS. Eventually USPS will discontinue providing free boxes because of people taking advantage of the system. It is only a matter of time.

I actually didn't think twice about it until now. I figured since I was using their Priority service, I could use their boxes. Not to mention, I have a 'recovered' stack of cardboard from all the purchases I have received over the years and almost 90% of that stack is cut priority boxes. Should I just toss it or re-use it?

over 50% of the stuff i get shipped from the US on ebay seems to be people doing this now (pieces or hidden). Always wondered why, now i get it.

As for ebay, they will eventually eat their own lunch. 2008 was just the beginning, when the other shoe drops financially, ebay will be begging people to list stuff.

I'm quite lucky that my work has lots of card to get rid of each week. It's so damn time consuming cutting it all though.

+1. Hours and hours of making card board sandwiches with razor blades and permanent marker. I have a filing cabinet drawer dedicated to them.

I buy pre-cut heavy duty cardboard 8.5x11 for 20 cents a sheet. My packaging materials including cardboard per order runs me 50 cents. I make that up in the 1st class shipping rate I charge.