• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine Splits on Golden Age books

6 posts in this topic

Sorry if this topic has been discussed. Made an attempt to find info but failed.

How are golden age books with slight 1/2 inch spine splits to just the cover graded? How does CGC generally deal with books in otherwise VF condition with these slight splits?

Thanks!

Generally speaking, spine splits are treated like tears. The larger they are the more you take off of the grade. They differ from tears if they go through the interior wraps or if they detach the cover from a staple. Then you take off more.

Since it is entirely possible to have a VF book with a small tear - it is also entirely possible to have a VF book with a small spine split. As with everything, it also depends on the rest of the book.

Hope that helps.

There was a ceiling grade of 5.5-6.0 ish that CGC used to implement for larger spine splits in the 2-3 inch range I believe. For example, the Central Valley copy of Fantastic Comics 3 is CGC 5.5 due to a big spine split, but from what I remember eye appeal is much nicer.

I don't know; I've never seen a book with a spine split get a VF grade. I have seen 7.5's with 1/2" to 1" spine splits.

I just got a silver age squarebound with a 1/2" spine split that was somehow a CGC 8.5. I thought it was absurd and returned the book to a dealer who did not want to take back any slabbed book but listened to my reason - of course I'm still waiting for them to actually process the refund.

A spine split in 8.5 is absurd for any era. CGC will hammer a book multiple grades for a teeny tiny back cover stain, but the spine erupts and, eh, no big deal.

For me, a 1/2" spine split should top out at 6.0-6.5 regardless of the rest of the book.