• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superhero book with the best covers

34 posts in this topic

The Steranko Fury covers are a good choice, just not enough of them.

Kirby/Sinnott FF's. :cloud9:

Agreed on Steranko. Nick Fury #7 is a favorite. Most anything Adams or Kirby has to rank near the top. Adams' X-men #58 cover may well be my single favorite cover of all time. For me, the Kirby Fourth World covers were some of his greats.

This thread needs pictures. Just saying... :sumo:

Though not a "Superhero," he was a "Super Character," if that would suffice for the OP. :wishluck:

SKMBT_C45212081313412.jpg

Sweet. Now that is cover art. I hadn't really thought about those painted covers from Dell.

There are some beautiful covers on some F.C./Dell/Gold Key out there.

A few by the hands of our famous "SuperHero" artists today or yesterday.

I always liked Miller's first two works ever in Twilight Zone and Toths work.

I don't know if Miller penciled the cover too on #84 along with his infamous feast story work.

Nick Cardy titles - later Aquaman, Teen Titans, Spectre, Bat Lash - come to mind, though Bat Lash isn't technically a superhero title.

I was surprised the OP didn't point this out, being a BA Flash fan.

Cardy did many great covers on many DC super-hero titles from late SA to early BA, thereabouts. Whether they were patchy in quality or consistently excellent as runs is down to personal taste, though. As I've said before, at the time his covers certainly enticed me to buy lots of DCs with crappy interiors.

I'm realizing that I'm talking more SA than BA. For me, I'm thinking more the Infantino up to the Adams covers. Some of the Andru covers. As for Cardy, his work was okay...not great...sorry but to me he didn't have a distinct style. I never liked Gil Kane...something about how he drew those noses. All just personal opinion. Fun to read what everyone has to offer.

No, just a suggestion. :)

Cardy's covers seemed pretty much ubiquitous at DC when I started buying American comic books, around the 100-pager time period, so those are the ones I recall the most.

[font:Times New Roman]I don't collect much SA now, ... :sorry:

... but I always thought the kewlist SA costumed/super hero covers (tied with Ditko's Spidey) were Mystery In Space featuring Adam Strange, and the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (also the NoMan & Dynamo short runs).

Note: Mystery in Space with Adam Strange often featured Carmine Infantino art and THUNDER/NoMan/Dynamo titles often featured cover art by artists Wally Wood, Al Williamson, et al.

d4581be6-d2c9-48d5-991d-e9a1aacb968d_zps2f272877.jpg

7104095b-2d75-4f49-8fb5-4bcc29a58f22_zpsb37fa1a3.jpg

Of course, everyone's mileage varies.[/font] (thumbs u

Nuff said!

SS4HR.jpg

One of the best covers for sure!

But the rest of the covers in that run are ...#3 is OK

"which superhero title from the Silver/Bronze era do you consider to consistently have presented the best covers?"