• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evaluating a Silver Age Collection

15 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is J'nell and I was looking for some information on identifying a comic books worth. I recently purchased a house as is; while cleaning out the attic I found 290 comic books boxed up dating from April 1949 thru Dec 1965. Various publishers. I am not a collector and have no clue as to where to start to find out if any of them are worth anything. Could someone give me some ideas on where to start.

Thanks,

J'nell

A great place to start would be the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, which comes out annually and lists just about every comic book ever published and a median price for it. That would etablish whether any of the books are 'valuable'. Then you need to determine the condition of the books, which will also impact on the price they may sell for. A Near Mint (almost perfect) book will sell for many multiples of one with creases, tears, water damage etc.

Hello, my name is J'nell and I was looking for some information on identifying a comic books worth. I recently purchased a house as is; while cleaning out the attic I found 290 comic books boxed up dating from April 1949 thru Dec 1965. Various publishers. I am not a collector and have no clue as to where to start to find out if any of them are worth anything. Could someone give me some ideas on where to start.

Thanks,

J'nell

Hi. Welcome to the boards.

Do you think you could list some of the titles and their issue numbers? Whatever you do, don't sell it to the first person who comes along or the first person who emails you.

Make a list of the titles and their issue numbers first and try not to handle them too much (or damage them.) If you post a list on this message board, many members can point out the ones that are significant or noteworthy for you.

Thats a nice find. You must be a lucky sort of guy. You move into a house and find all these comics. Then,knowing nothing about them,you manage to post in the right section of a board you again know nothing about.Who do you like to win the World Series?

Thats a nice find. You must be a lucky sort of guy. You move into a house and find all these comics. Then,knowing nothing about them,you manage to post in the right section of a board you again know nothing about.Who do you like to win the World Series?

Actually, shouldn't s/he have posted in the Golden Age section then? The Silver Age is commonly assessed as starting in 1956.

smirk.gif

First, get a flatbed scanner.

It's worth the $100 if you don't have one.

When you sell them here, or on eBay, a nice picture will be worth an extra 10-50% of the sell price for old 1965 books and back. Especially if they are nicer VFs.

That could mean 1000s of dollars on 290 books.

Without pics people may not even believe you have any comics to sell and that it's all a big scam. shocked.gifblush.gif

Now, now, the guy COULD be genuine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Start with a SCANNER or DIGITAL CAMERA and post pics of your "incredible find".

Otherwise, you'll be put in the same category of rooks and cheats as those Aussies who try and sell their Amazing Fantasy 15 copies. 27_laughing.gif

...Shad,shad,shad,...what is it about you New Yorkers that make you so distrustful and paranoid?.....this might very well be a legitamite,...WTF am I saying?...I'm from New York too,....you're right,...it's bogus.....

I'll buy all your 1950s & 60s DCs that don't have issue #s on the front cover. They will probably confuse the heck out of u trying to cross-reference with an Overstreet or Wizard guide. Also, my fave 60s song is Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves. 27_laughing.gif