• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

17 posts in this topic

So i ordered the John Romita Artist's edition from an online retailer and it arrived this Saturday.

The book was being sold as new.

I could see through the bubble there was a large scratch on the box.

I was pretty upset that it was sold as new, and this was not disclosed.

Am I just being too OCD about this? I liken it to someone ordering a statue with a scratched up box. Or someone ordering an action figure with a bent card. I keep all of my Artist's edition boxes in good shape and feel they add to the presentation and value.

I have contacted the store and received no response yet, but am wondering how other boardies would feel.

Should I just get over it, it's just the box, or is this an actual grievance.

photo5_zps8866dc19.jpg

So i ordered the John Romita Artist's edition from an online retailer and it arrived this Saturday.

The book was being sold as new.

I could see through the bubble there was a large scratch on the box.

I was pretty upset that it was sold as new, and this was not disclosed.

Am I just being too OCD about this? I liken it to someone ordering a statue with a scratched up box. Or someone ordering an action figure with a bent card. I keep all of my Artist's edition boxes in good shape and feel they add to the presentation and value.

I have contacted the store and received no response yet, but am wondering how other boardies would feel.

Should I just get over it, it's just the box, or is this an actual grievance.

photo5_zps8866dc19.jpg

Be glad it has the box. Several have bumps and scratches. At the end of the day it's the book that matters. As long as it's mint the corrugated cardboard doesn't matter all that much. There are lots of these that had problems. They were designed to prevent damage to the book and not be part of the display.

If everything's ok with the book I would not worry about cardboard.

And yes, I have every single artist's edition and most of the variants, so I have seen this stuff up close.

i trash boxes for any of my toys or statues that I open ... all they do is take up space when they could be reused & recycled :) only time I'd ever keep a box for a statue is if it was in the single or double digit range like #1-10 of 300

Thanks for the response guys. I'm not always a condition freak, but for some reason this really bothered me.

I don't know why but it's good to know it's a common issue on the boxes.

Thanks for the response guys. I'm not always a condition freak, but for some reason this really bothered me.

I know Scott , the guy who runs the program for IDW, and he mentioned how these were designed to survive shipping and nothing else. Then people started liking how the box looked and they started shipping them in a secondary box.

BTW, I have way too many of these things. Doubles of almost all of them.

It would bother me, too.

I had a similar thing happen.

Only it cut through the cardboard from the book depository and left an indent (no colour breakage luckily, but just a big f--k off ding) in the cover of my copy of Absolute Hush.

I was a sad panda... but about the book ding, not the cardboard.

I think the shipper box condition has more play in terms of importance with statues (hot toys etc) as some people only want to buy a 2nd hand one if it comes with the brown shipper.

Personally, I'd be stoked it was only the cardboard - but I can understand why you'd have grievance with it all.

i trash boxes for any of my toys or statues that I open ... all they do is take up space when they could be reused & recycled :) only time I'd ever keep a box for a statue is if it was in the single or double digit range like #1-10 of 300

Boy, I could never do that. I've only bought a few statues and they've never been for investment purposes, but I always want to keep alive the possibility of re-selling in the future just in case of a rainy day. Plus the boxes are pretty. :)

I know Scott , the guy who runs the program for IDW, and he mentioned how these were designed to survive shipping and nothing else. Then people started liking how the box looked and they started shipping them in a secondary box.

So I am not crazy!

They are definitely sweet books. I've had the John Romita limited with the sketch for a while, but wanted one I could flip through without being scared of damaging it.

I really want the Wally Wood on now.

So I am not crazy!

They are definitely sweet books. I've had the John Romita limited with the sketch for a while, but wanted one I could flip through without being scared of damaging it.

I really want the Wally Wood on now.

I was just working up a price for a guy on my extra copy of the Wondercon Variant of that Wood book. lol

Boy, I could never do that. I've only bought a few statues and they've never been for investment purposes, but I always want to keep alive the possibility of re-selling in the future just in case of a rainy day. Plus the boxes are pretty. :)

I am of mind that if I ever sell them it will be locally I live in a small space so I need to keep room open :D

I am of mind that if I ever sell them it will be locally I live in a small space so I need to keep room open :D

I keep ALL my boxes. I have a giant stack of boxes in my garage of boxes for all my electronics dating back to my N64. I keep i all but also have the re-selling in mind.

If this guy passes do you want the Wood Wondercon variant artist's edition?

Possibly. Let me know. What's the Wondercon variant have? Is it just the exclusive cover?

And how is the box... :baiting:

If this guy passes do you want the Wood Wondercon variant artist's edition?

Possibly. Let me know. What's the Wondercon variant have? Is it just the exclusive cover?

And how is the box... :baiting:

Exclusive cover, they only printed 100 of them.

The box is fine. The side with the label/sticker has no problems. no bent/bumped corners, the other side with no graphics/label has some scratches, but the book inside is mint and still shrink wrapped. I actually had to have a dealer friend pick them up in California and schlep them back to Chicago for me so it didn't get the double box treatment from IDW.