• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Assemble

5 posts in this topic

A VG/F first silver appearance of Cap

If you have been following my journal since the beginning you might recall that I used to visit stores around the country during my summers off from school. Thanks to my dad's unwillingness to fly we drove cross country several times and I would try to remain current on my new titles and look for interesting classics. I think the summer of 1990 we drove through Denver and stopped at a store I can't remember anymore that I found in the back of my trusty Overstreet guide. That's where I got this copy of Avengers #4. I had long been a fan of Cap and always had my eyes out and this copy looked like a decent buy at $40. It was mostly nice but had some bad flaws like badly mis-located staples, some pen scribbles, a couple tears and a stain. Like I said I wasn't always the most picky when it came to grading I just wanted the book at a price I could afford.

I think 5.0 Cream/OW pages is an appropriate grade for my copy. The colors look nice but the white background is kinda brown and the flaws are well... flaws. Either way I'm happy to have had Cap's origin all these years. As for the continuing bubble saga I had to take the shot of the back at an angle in order to get a good photo of the bubble which is even bigger on this one, but at the same time a little less distracting. Maybe I'm just getting used to them.

13323.jpg

See more journals by Hepgwyn

I think this is the route I'm going to go for a few sets I want to complete. Not for any of the Moderns but for many of the Silvers. Its an awesome pick-up at $40 bucks. As for the bubbles...bubbles, my bubbles...My son loves that Nemo movie. Anyways I would have to agree with a few others on your previous post. If its something your not satisfied with send it back. I think the CGC acronym stood for something about a Guarantee.

K

WTF! These bubbles are a nuisance. You gotta complain to CGC.

That's another beatiful comic... a huge key! And that "bubble" effect in the back just brings it down a bit.

Do you think this is a symptom of fast tracking?

SW3D

That's a nice looking book, even at the lower grade. What a cool experience to pick up these books with your dad and then years later get them preserved and graded by CGC. I know you gotta be having a blast with this! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you!

sig.jpg

SW3D,

Not sure, about why this has started to pop-up. The most recent returnees were submitted on the Collector's society coupon. I submitted my 10 books in 4 different tiers. 1 express, 4 on the coupon, 2 standards and 3 moderns. So when the moderns come back in 2014 I will have a better grasp on whether the speed with which CGC handles them has something to do with the bubble.