• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is USPS priority mail no longer two to three days?

45 posts in this topic

Hopefully we can save Saturday delivery.

The USPS itself doesn't want it. One day of inconvenience is better than tax dollars being wasted. And as noted in my above posts, if you were worried about package deliveries, there was no need to worry in the first place.

The USPS isn't funded by tax dollars.

Maybe not totally, but partially, and in this case, it is directly related to the Saturday delivery case.

From that Healdsburg Patch article I linked earlier :

"Congress typically includes a provision in its federal budget each year that requires USPS to deliver mail six days a week. This week, despite pleas from USPS, Congress voted to pass that legislation again this year."

-slym

Hopefully we can save Saturday delivery.

The USPS itself doesn't want it. One day of inconvenience is better than tax dollars being wasted. And as noted in my above posts, if you were worried about package deliveries, there was no need to worry in the first place.

The USPS isn't funded by tax dollars.

Maybe not totally, but partially, and in this case, it is directly related to the Saturday delivery case.

From that Healdsburg Patch article I linked earlier :

"Congress typically includes a provision in its federal budget each year that requires USPS to deliver mail six days a week. This week, despite pleas from USPS, Congress voted to pass that legislation again this year."

-slym

No, not partially either:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/uspsabout.htm

As I just said, I assumed when talking about Congressional budgets that money is being channeled to them. And I have no problem admitting when I am wrong...

:sorry:

So, not tax dollars, just private money will be wasted by being forced to deliver all mail on Saturdays, which still makes the USPS go broke faster.

-slym

Unless I am putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5... I am assuming when it is part of Congressional budget, it means money is going to them. I very well could be wrong.

:eek:

-slym

This has been discussed ad nauseam around here. USPS is not a governmental agency. Any perceived delays are not related to the sequester. Please point me to some non-funding or cut that goes to the USPS from the US budget. The 5 day delivery was a request by USPS to cut costs since Congress voted to require USPS to make pension funding that no other agency is required to do. This, despite the fact, that USPS is not a federal agency, but is governed in certain ways by the US government.

Unless I am putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5... I am assuming when it is part of Congressional budget, it means money is going to them. I very well could be wrong.

:eek:

-slym

This has been discussed ad nauseam around here. USPS is not a governmental agency. Any perceived delays are not related to the sequester. Please point me to some non-funding or cut that goes to the USPS from the US budget. The 5 day delivery was a request by USPS to cut costs since Congress voted to require USPS to make pension funding that no other agency is required to do. This, despite the fact, that USPS is not a federal agency, but is governed in certain ways by the US government.

I probably shouldn’t have mentioned sequestration. I was mostly wondering out loud if it had some peripheral effect, such as small airport closings affecting delivery times (sounds crazy), not that sequestration went into effect and the Postmaster General started slashing service.

Although my experience is anecdotal, every package I've mailed the last few months has indeed taken longer than usual.

Let me finish up this way about that, HS - were I ever to go to a court of law over something like this, I have no doubt it would go in my favour. Ebay can say "no insurance," to me that means I as a seller cannot even put insurance on a parcel. That is not true. I can also explain very clearly that if a total shipping charge can include insurance (which was the last policy I saw) - say instead of $5 for S&H plus $1.50 for insurance because that is a no-no, but charging $6.50 is acceptable, and the buyer of my item pays for shipping, then THEY are buying the insurance.

If my brother is hurt and can't go buy, say a new TV, and he gives me the money for the TV but I go and do the physical purchase, who actually bought the TV? Whose TV is it?

The answer: not mine.

I have full confidence my case is solid.

If there has been a ruling like this where my point has been proven wrong, I'd like to see it.

-slym

Anyone experiencing delays with Priority Mail? I sent a package from NYC via Priority Mail to NC on Saturday, 3/23; it was dispatched to the sort facility in NY and left NY on 3/24. It didn't arrive in Fayetteville, NC until today, 3/26 at 6 pm. Presumably it'll get to my buyer tomorrow, 3/27 assuming the postal workers there dont decide to use my package as a soccer ball. So now Priority Mail takes 4 days to arrive from one destination to the other even though they're on the same coast and just several hundred miles apart?

A few weeks ago, I sent a package to CO from NY via Priority and it took 5 days.

Well, I usually don't count the day that I took it to the post office. So if you think of it that way:

You took it Saturday 3/23

No mail on Sunday

Monday 3/25

Tuesday 3/26

Today 3/27

So it was pretty much 3 days, unless my way of thinking is wrong.

Anyone experiencing delays with Priority Mail? I sent a package from NYC via Priority Mail to NC on Saturday, 3/23; it was dispatched to the sort facility in NY and left NY on 3/24. It didn't arrive in Fayetteville, NC until today, 3/26 at 6 pm. Presumably it'll get to my buyer tomorrow, 3/27 assuming the postal workers there dont decide to use my package as a soccer ball. So now Priority Mail takes 4 days to arrive from one destination to the other even though they're on the same coast and just several hundred miles apart?

A few weeks ago, I sent a package to CO from NY via Priority and it took 5 days.

Well, I usually don't count the day that I took it to the post office. So if you think of it that way:

No mail on Sunday

Monday 3/25

Tuesday 3/26

Today 3/27

Last time I checked, Sunday is a day. And you may be surprised, but USPS does actually work on Sundays sorting out mail and dispatching it to post offices and other sorting facilities.

Damn guys I have nothing but fast deliveries lately. (shrug)

Every single one of my USPS Priority Mail deliveries has been 2-3 days every single times (talking about 60 packages minimum), and 1st class mail has been uber fast as well.

I thought the west coast as supposed to be slower.

I assumed all your delays were due to the bad winter you guys are having.

Most of my Priority Mail gets delivered in 3 days. Sometimes it's 4 days, but that's usually a non-urban area in the middle of nowhere. I actually have Priority delivered from east coast to west coast in 3 days max. But east coast to middle America usually takes 4 days. I'm guessing it's put on a plane when it goes east to west coasts.

No mail on Sunday

Monday 3/25

Tuesday 3/26

Today 3/27

Last time I checked, Sunday is a day. And you may be surprised, but USPS does actually work on Sundays sorting out mail and dispatching it to post offices and other sorting facilities.

So do they just not deliver on Sundays?

in my experience, priority mail can take from 1 - 30 days.

lately packages have been taking longer and the tracking info coming later on all types of mail.

Let me finish up this way about that, HS - were I ever to go to a court of law over something like this, I have no doubt it would go in my favour. Ebay can say "no insurance," to me that means I as a seller cannot even put insurance on a parcel. That is not true. I can also explain very clearly that if a total shipping charge can include insurance (which was the last policy I saw) - say instead of $5 for S&H plus $1.50 for insurance because that is a no-no, but charging $6.50 is acceptable, and the buyer of my item pays for shipping, then THEY are buying the insurance.

If my brother is hurt and can't go buy, say a new TV, and he gives me the money for the TV but I go and do the physical purchase, who actually bought the TV? Whose TV is it?

The answer: not mine.

I have full confidence my case is solid.

If there has been a ruling like this where my point has been proven wrong, I'd like to see it.

-slym

ebay has never said you can't insure a package, just that you can't levy an extra charge on the buyer for it. so, do what you do and build it into the S/H amount.