• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been a fun 14 years but it's eBay no more. New User Agreement = Facejob!

118 posts in this topic

I've been done selling on eBay for 2 years. This new policy is ridiculous

They want to become more like Amazon and not have so many small sellers I think.

The fancy pants that run the place now probably are offended at the idea eBay is the world's flee market and want to drive out what they consider riff raft.

I believe Ebay's auctions only account for 10% of their business. There was an article in Fortune magazine about how well Ebay is doing outside of the auction area.

I doubt if they give a hoot how we think the rules are.

I haven't sold on ebay since those silly rules came into play a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure there is the option to not accept returns. Whenever you go to list an item and scroll down toward the shipping/international options, it states "Returns Not Allowed for this Item." Or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure there is the option to not accept returns. Whenever you go to list an item and scroll down toward the shipping/international options, it states "Returns Not Allowed for this Item." Or something along those lines.

I just decided to take returns on everything on 14 -days to get the extra 20% discount (but I added in the disclosure section NO returns on CGC books)

Honestly every eBay seller should just put the 14-days and one business day handling just to get the extra 20% discount eventually because even if a seller states they accept zero returns we all know what does accept returns.

Credit card charge backs.

If a seller does not take returns I just use PP backed with my CC. Problem solved if the seller is shady or mis-graded a book.

It doesn't matter.

I just had to deal with an eBay seller who clearly stated "no returns" in his listing, and, who, after I emailed him to tell him that the item had shown up damaged due to his crappy packaging, replied back saying that it was my fault for not purchasing insurance & that he most certainly would not accept a return.

I filed a SNAD claim, he escalated it to eBay's customer service, and eBay immediately sent me a shipping label so I could return the item for a full refund.

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that legally, there is no 'done deal' until seller has acccepted payment and buyer has received goods as described. Even if the seller has noted "no returns", it does not exempt items damaged in shipping or not matching the description (obviously subject to interpretation).

By stating no returns, I think the seller is trying to ensure that 'buyer's remorse' is not considered adequate reason to return, it would be interesting to see how ebay/paypal handled such a situation.

ebay has built into its fineprint in picking your return policy that you still need to accept a return or refund if the item is not as described.

soooooooo, you can probably win if you sell a slab and the buyer says in an e-mail "I am returning it because I found it cheaper elsewhere" OR...maybe, "yes, I know you gave a scan and it is cgc 9.8, but I thought a 9.8 would be nicer looking..." -- of course, you'd have to explain certified grading to an ebay robo-nitwit, so i doubt it

It's really stupid for a seller to state no returns. It turns away a lot of potential buyers. What are they hiding? A faulty product?

----------

1) Slabs are slabs. Unless it is cracked or you hid something in your scan, why should you take a return?

2) A book might be worth $20 right now and $5 when it gets to the buyer in a week. Why should I accept a return? (I certainly have no basis to demand the books back if it turns out the price tripled during that time...which happened to me last year!) For "hot" "new" books I often have a no return policy. For older more stable vintage stuff, I have a return policy, although something that looks like it might be a 10 minute blip, I probably won't take returns normally.

3) Mystery grab bag lots?

4) I include s/h in my price (or say s/h is free). So when I give a return and refund on the whim of the buyer (rather than them pointing to some legitimate, objective and material defect in the book that I missed when I listed it...which has happened) I am eating the shipping costs. If it's my mistake I pay the freight both ways, of course.

It's really stupid for a seller to state no returns. It turns away a lot of potential buyers. What are they hiding? A faulty product?

----------

1) Slabs are slabs. Unless it is cracked or you hid something in your scan, why should you take a return?

2) A book might be worth $20 right now and $5 when it gets to the buyer in a week. Why should I accept a return? (I certainly have no basis to demand the books back if it turns out the price tripled during that time...which happened to me last year!) For "hot" "new" books I often have a no return policy. For older more stable vintage stuff, I have a return policy, although something that looks like it might be a 10 minute blip, I probably won't take returns normally.

3) Mystery grab bag lots?

4) I include s/h in my price (or say s/h is free). So when I give a return and refund on the whim of the buyer (rather than them pointing to some legitimate, objective and material defect in the book that I missed when I listed it...which has happened) I am eating the shipping costs. If it's my mistake I pay the freight both ways, of course.

Unless it is cracked or you hid something in your scan, why WOULD a buyer want to return it?

Only a scam buyer would. So sellers hurt themselves for that one bad penny that turns up once in a while? No matter how bad ebay is, I can't assume every buyer to be a scammer. I deal with those as they happen. Which is rarely. And I know plenty of ways to make them regret it. I believe most buyers and sellers are honest. And most transactions are good. Use toolhaus whenever you can, before accepting an offer. Have your ebay settings to block buyers with 2 unpaid item strikes in a year, etc.

Use the system and rules to your advantage when dealing with a bad buyer. Make them regret the transaction.

If all else fails, you have their name and address.... study their routine and crush their skull with a tire iron, away from any cameras. I never feel bad for them. I think, "Hey, they deserved it for being a scumbag.".

If all else fails, you have their name and address.... study their routine and crush their skull with a tire iron, away from any cameras. I never feel bad for them. I think, "Hey, they deserved it for being a scumbag.".

hm

:thumbsup:

It doesn't matter.

I just had to deal with an eBay seller who clearly stated "no returns" in his listing, and, who, after I emailed him to tell him that the item had shown up damaged due to his crappy packaging, replied back saying that it was my fault for not purchasing insurance & that he most certainly would not accept a return.

I filed a SNAD claim, he escalated it to eBay's customer service, and eBay immediately sent me a shipping label so I could return the item for a full refund.

I'm not saying that "No Returns" does or does not matter. I'm just pointing out that Ebay offers the "Returns Not Accepted for this Item" option because somebody said earlier that a seller cannot 'not' accept returns.

Am I missing something or have both of those sections been in the eBay user agreement for a long time now? You're making it seem like these were suddenly added in this new update - which isn't the case at all :shrug:

This is the first I heard that they are requiring me to allow them to go past Paypal into my bank to get funds. I've only heard stuff like that told as "horror stories" about Paypal.

Am I missing something or have both of those sections been in the eBay user agreement for a long time now? You're making it seem like these were suddenly added in this new update - which isn't the case at all :shrug:

This is the first I heard that they are requiring me to allow them to go past Paypal into my bank to get funds. I've only heard stuff like that told as "horror stories" about Paypal.

It's been like that for a very long time, though - if you sell an item on ebay, get paid by paypal, immediately empty your paypal balance, and the buyer files a chargeback, they will try to collect the funds from the attached bank account.

Can you imagine how easy it would be to scam people if they didn't?

I quit because I was outraged over charging the fvf on postage.

I'm still outraged over this...

You can thank those who try to avoid seller's fees by selling an item, like a comic, for 99 cents and charging $10 to ship it media mail.

Unless it is cracked or you hid something in your scan, why WOULD a buyer want to return it?

Only a scam buyer would. So sellers hurt themselves for that one bad penny that turns up once in a while?

--------------

they found it cheaper elsewhere? or they decide they really can't afford it right now? or their wife catches them getting a comic in the mail and screams at them?

maybe when they get it in hand they just don't love it as much as they hoped they would in the scan? scans don't show cover gloss so well, for example.

these are not "scam" reasons per se and it would be more than a once in a while thing.