• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been a fun 14 years but it's eBay no more. New User Agreement = Facejob!

118 posts in this topic

Wow,...I try logging into eBay and I'm suppose to accept this new user agreement first... rantrant

It looks like more people won't be selling there anymore.

At least I made it to 750 feedback. :)

My words are in red after this... :mad:

It's a lot but here's the highlights:

======================================

"We've updated the eBay User Agreement. Please review it below. The following describes the terms on which eBay offers you access to our sites, services, applications, and tools.

Using eBay

While using eBay sites, services, applications, and tools, you will not:

post content or items in inappropriate categories or areas on our sites and services;

violate any laws, third party rights or our policies;

use our sites, services, applications, or tools if you are not able to form legally binding contracts or are temporarily or indefinitely suspended from using our sites, services, applications, or tools;

fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you, unless the seller has materially changed the item's description after you bid, a clear typographical error is made, or you cannot reach the seller;

fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot reach the buyer;

manipulate the price of any item or interfere with other users' listings;

circumvent or manipulate our fee structure, the billing process, or fees owed to eBay;

post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libelous content;

take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of the sites or using it for purposes unrelated to eBay);

circumvent any eBay policy or determinations about your account status such as temporary or indefinite suspensions or other account holds, limitations or restrictions;

transfer by any manner any eBay application or your eBay account (including Feedback) and user ID to another party without our consent;

distribute or post spam, unsolicited or bulk electronic communications, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;

distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm eBay, or the interests or property of eBay users;

export or re-export any eBay eBay applications, or tools except in compliance with the export control laws of any relevant jurisdictions and in accordance with posted rules and restrictions;

copy, modify, or distribute rights or content from the eBay sites, services, applications, or tools or eBay's copyrights and trademarks;

commercialize any eBay application or any information or software associated with such application; or

harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent."

===========================================

Here's the killer for sellers:

"Sellers must have a reimbursement method on file with eBay and agree to allow us to charge the method they designate for amounts due to buyers. Sellers may change this reimbursement method by contacting eBay and searching for "How to change your reimbursement method."

Sellers agree to allow us to remove funds from their PayPal accounts for amounts due to buyers. Sellers agree to allow us to remove funds from their PayPal accounts in currency other than the currency of transaction that is the subject of the claim where they do not have sufficient funds available in that particular currency.

"Where there are insufficient funds in PayPal accounts or where PayPal is not the reimbursement method of a seller, we will require another reimbursement method."

So basically the user agreement says sellers must bend over and grab the ankles and let eBay remove funds from their Paypal account and their bank or credit card linked to Paypal!!!!!

And it's not Wonderland for buyers now either because if you do a charge back with Paypal you automatically lose your buyer protection and the case you filed with eBay.

"eBay Buyer Protection will not cover claims for which the buyer has initiated another form of resolution processing, including credit card chargebacks (if the buyer paid by credit card) or PayPal Buyer Protection claims (if the buyer paid by PayPal). We may suspend the eBay Buyer Protection Policy without notice if we suspect abuse or interference with the proper working of the program."

I've been done selling on eBay for 2 years. This new policy is ridiculous

They want to become more like Amazon and not have so many small sellers I think.

The fancy pants that run the place now probably are offended at the idea eBay is the world's flee market and want to drive out what they consider riff raft.

I wonder when this will make its away to all eBays?

I will stop selling on the UK one when it does.

I don't know. I just logged in and did not receive those terms. And I am in the USA.

I got it on my account with them..I am in a huge dispute already, a midtown ASM was bought for 150.00 from me at christmas, the post office actually bent the package to fit it in to the door. i had insurance so no problem..Welp, the insurance went to the buyer, ebay also gave a full refund to the buyer..so I was out double and now have a bent midtown..I quit right after that decision

I haven't sold under my user name in almost a decade...

Around 2004 they started the big increases in fees and even though they

we mildly out of hand when I left they are really gonzo now!

With all they take now a seller will be lucky to get 80 percent of the price

you are trying to sell it for...

Too me, that's just crazy talk!

:insane:

I wonder when this will make its away to all eBays?

I will stop selling on the UK one when it does.

I don't know. I just logged in and did not receive those terms. And I am in the USA.

you have to actively attempt to sell an item to get the wonderful agreement pop-up! These new terms leave the seller with no protection. Ebay has now left all the power with the buyer... and some buyers deserve no power over a seller.

Plan A - Give them a credit card and call your bank for a new number a week later. Make sure you have a separate bank account for EBay/Paypal that always has $0 in it.

I do charge backs all the time. EBay disputes are useless. As soon as they realize they have to pay, they close your case. Example: Seller sends comic. Comic is not as described at all. Seller accepts return and signs for it. Then he just doesn't refund the money and abandons his account (it appears). You give all the documentation to EBay and then wait. Then you escalate. An hour later "Your case is close you are not getting a refund".

The part of the new agreement that interests me is "post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libelous content;". What does that mean and WHO determines what this is? If I get screwed on an auction and I post what happened, does that mean even if it's true, it's still considered "defamatory or libelous" I have to write in their feedback he's the best thing since sliced bread?

"take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of the sites or using it for purposes unrelated to eBay);"

I guess we can't refer, speak, copy, complain about users here and what feedback they have (take ANY action).

Well, this sucks.

But, rather than complain about it, I will just do what I can to not support them, and not sell anything there. Whether or not we like it, it is a private company and they dictate policy there. We do not get to choose how they run their business, we can only choose whether or not to participate in their business. I choose not to reward bad service and business practices by not giving them my business.

This is not a slam to the OP, or in any way directed at them, BTW. Just trying to head the torches & pitchforks off at the pass.

:hi:

-slym

There has to be another auction site that can compete with ebay/paypal.

I have no association with this but this is a new auction site for geek by nerds or the other way around: http://www.up4bid.com/

Wow.

In all four areas (SA BA CA Modern) there is a total of one comic for sale.

A BA DC.

But on the plus side there's some nudey mags.

Right on the home page too so that's not work safe.

:whistle:

That was about the fees.

Fees are fees.

This is about giving them permission to go right into your bank account through Paypal to get money they want from you.

I thought only the IRS could do that.

I wonder if this would hold up in court in some states if it was challenged.

I got it on my account with them..I am in a huge dispute already, a midtown ASM was bought for 150.00 from me at christmas, the post office actually bent the package to fit it in to the door. i had insurance so no problem..Welp, the insurance went to the buyer, ebay also gave a full refund to the buyer..so I was out double and now have a bent midtown..I quit right after that decision

That's scary. Isn't the whole point of insurance to protect the seller from having their money taken for goods damaged in transit? I can't believe that. Anyone else ever experience this?