• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experience selling big copper/modern runs?

26 posts in this topic

I found a collection of Marvel and DC runs from the mid-70s up through the mid-2000s, bought off the rack, original owner. 15-20,000 books. I don't collect stuff from those eras, and I don't usually deal in it either, so I was wondering if anyone had experience selling large copper/modern collections as a whole. If I buy it, selling it will have to be easy, so anyone know of any dealers that would do pickup and buy the whole thing in one shot at a decent price? Lonestar? Cash4Comics? Chuck?

I have no room to store it, so the response time would have to be quick as well.

If you are just looking to unload them for a reasonable price and not make top dollar try Earl Shaw http://www.earlshawcomics.com

He travels all over so he would probably be able to come pick them up at some point. Probably looking at maybe $16-18 a long box for the modern stuff. Not sure what he'd do for large runs of copper.

Thanks. Just looking to get a sense of who buys this stuff and what I should pay.

I will definitely keep him in mind, especially if he does pickips in person. Trying to avoid shipping these.

Hi,

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss working with us. We do buy collections like this. Thanks!

Conan

I called already actually. PM me if you want to talk about my experience.

Is $16-$18 dollars per long box really the going rate for modern stuff right now?

Assuming that your box has 225 comics in it, which is probably about normal, then that works out to something like $0.07 per book.

That is almost insulting.

Now I know that these books may not be the OMG HOT GOTTA HAVE IT books of the moment, but surely they are worth more than that.

Even most comic shops have quarter boxes for damaged/old drek and you have to assume that if this collection is boxed and possibly bagged and boarded, then they are probably in good condition

I just shudder to think that a persons collection that they may have spent years building and cataloging, my only be worth $100 or so bucks when they pass on.

Hi,

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss working with us. We do buy collections like this. Thanks!

Conan

:roflmao:

Yep. It has been eye opening so far. A single decent silver age book is as pricey as hundreds of well ordered and high grade copper and modern longboxes. Sobering.

People don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

Hi,

Conan

Beth?

Is $16-$18 dollars per long box really the going rate for modern stuff right now?

Assuming that your box has 225 comics in it, which is probably about normal, then that works out to something like $0.07 per book.

That is almost insulting.

Now I know that these books may not be the OMG HOT GOTTA HAVE IT books of the moment, but surely they are worth more than that.

Even most comic shops have quarter boxes for damaged/old drek and you have to assume that if this collection is boxed and possibly bagged and boarded, then they are probably in good condition

I just shudder to think that a persons collection that they may have spent years building and cataloging, my only be worth $100 or so bucks when they pass on.

Buying 15,000 to 20,000 comics would cost $1K to $1400. The busines is in business to make money. How fast will 15,000 comics sell? How much will it cost to sell them? THey have to be added to inventory, stored, supplies added, displayed, then when someone buys, they're going to try to bargain with you on the prices, "BUT I'M BUYING 10 COMICS". Pay sales staff, pay income tax, pay accountant. I don't know the market well enough, but does anything from the 70's through today sell? What condition are they in?

Let me put it another way. If the stuff was really valuable, they would have been sold online or local. But the OO was obviously a collector and knows their collection, and where they bought it. They probably know what they're doing.