• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WRESTLING ICON - LOU THESZ

6 posts in this topic

I saw that, I think you and I are the only ones to have one.

scan0047.jpg

VERY nice authenticated card! (worship)

Now if you have one with Buddy "Nature Boy" Rogers feel free to message me if you are interested in selling it! :takeit:

In fact, anyone out in Collector Land who has any Rogers memorabilia should feel free to contact me if they want to sell it. I also accept gifts and donations! :roflmao:

My son has a huge collection of WWE autographed 8x10 photos of the Undertaker, Kane, Rock, Mick Foley in two of his personas, Stone Cold, HHH, Chyna, etc. However, I have a half dozen vintage 8x10s of my all-time favorite, Buddy Rogers, that trump all those modern photos! rantrant

Below is the flagship of the fleet:

<a  href=HALxjH4l.jpg' alt='HALxjH4l.jpg'>

Those are pretty sweet.

My family was involved in the wrestling business in the deep south for decades prior to the death of the territory system and i had the chance to meet Lou Thesz about a zillion times before his death in 2002. He was a nice old man and i enjoyed listening to his stories when i was a kid.

I vaguely remember meeting Buddy rogers when i was a kid, but nothing stands out about it.

I have got some ring used memorabilia i need to get out of the attic and put on Flickr for you to see including some autographed wrestling mags from the 80's.

Some of the ones I know that i have are:

Autographed 8x10 of Dr. Death Steve Williams from when he was the UWF champion

Multiple signed pictures, shirts and magazines from Eddie Gilbert

Lots of stuff from the Fabulous Freebirds, Midnight Express and Rock-n-Roll express

A cowboy hat from Bill Watts

Another hat from the Funk brothers....not sure which one but it either Terry or Dory Jr

And the highlight of my collection is an actual ring used dog collar from JYD himself!

Those are pretty sweet.

My family was involved in the wrestling business in the deep south for decades prior to the death of the territory system and i had the chance to meet Lou Thesz about a zillion times before his death in 2002. He was a nice old man and i enjoyed listening to his stories when i was a kid.

I vaguely remember meeting Buddy rogers when i was a kid, but nothing stands out about it.

I have got some ring used memorabilia i need to get out of the attic and put on Flickr for you to see including some autographed wrestling mags from the 80's.

Some of the ones I know that i have are:

Autographed 8x10 of Dr. Death Steve Williams from when he was the UWF champion

Multiple signed pictures, shirts and magazines from Eddie Gilbert

Lots of stuff from the Fabulous Freebirds, Midnight Express and Rock-n-Roll express

A cowboy hat from Bill Watts

Another hat from the Funk brothers....not sure which one but it either Terry or Dory Jr

And the highlight of my collection is an actual ring used dog collar from JYD himself!

I'm looking forward to seeing pics posted of some of your stuff! When you were a kid which wrestling promotion was dominant in the south? I don't think the NWA was down your way. Rogers used to fight in Texas very frequently and had some bloody feuds with Pepper Gomez. At one time in the early to mid-fifties Buddy had the Texas Championship belt!

Mike

The big promotions where I am from, North Alabama, were Nick Gulas' old Mid-South or "Memphis" and for many years was ran by Nick Gulas and Jerry Jarrett.

They eventually had a falling out and Gulas started running a promotion out of Nashville for years, that if i remember correctly was NWA Mid-America, and that was what we saw the most of in Huntsville.

The other one I saw quite a bit of was Ron Fullers' old CCW that he was running out of Knoxville, if I remember right, but it was a little bit further down south since he focused on North Florida and South Alabama.

We also saw quite a bit of Georgia Championship Wrestling since we were so close to it and would regularly drive a couple hours down the road for a night of "rasslin"

I was lucky enough to be backstage for many of these events since my godfather and several uncles and cousins were either wrestlers or ring monkeys.

I never will forget my times hanging out with some of those guys in the old Madison County Coliseum as a little 8 or 9 year old kid and thinking these huge guys were gods for going out in that ring.

Somewhere in my family shoeboxes of pictures there is one of me, I couldnt have been more than 4 or 5 at the time, being asleep and carried off in the arms of a wrestler named John Minton that many of you know as Big John Studd

I also have more than one memory of my grandmothers house being full of wrestlers who were in town and needed a place to crash so somehow they would wind up at her place, clean out her pantry, leave as much change and dollar bills on the counter as they could muster between them and crash in the garage on cots and sleeping bags, in the truest starving wrestler fashion! She loved every minute of it as i rarely saw her as happy as when she was cooking up a storm for 15 wrestlers who gushed over her as if she were their own mother. In the same shoebox there is also a picture of Tojo Yamamoto eating fried chicken in her kitchen circa 1978 with me as a baby in the picture as well.