• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Post and Insurance Claims

11 posts in this topic

So I just wanted to let everyone know. I recently had a trade with a friend for books in the value of $800. I was able to ship everything in 1095 Priority box to him since there were a few graded books. In return I received a short box of modern titles. Well needless to say don't ship books vertically such as short boxes.

The box shipped was around 25lbs and someone apparently dropped it on 2 corners which in turn damaged the books in the corners and are no longer in 9.6+ condition. Luckily, insurance was taken out for the total value.

So here's what happens when you file a claim for damage. You need to ship the package to their headquarters for their inspection. The sender needs to furnish pictures prior to shipping the books as well as the packaging of the books before it's sent AND receipts for the value of the books.

Long story short, Canada Post paided back the $800 to the sender but was told that for any future comic books it needs to be accompanied with a professional grader's report which states the value of the comics since they were all modern so why would they reimburse more than the cover price.

So those 2 PP #1, they are not worth over $200 if you have a receipt that states that you paid $2.99 cover price...

Also I asked the sender if he could get local comic shop owners to fill out a value form and sign it but he stated no shop will do it when he asked and there is one person in the city that he lives that will provide a statement but no idea on the cost.

So is insurance really worth it? Even in the US, when I talked to postal employees they stated that you need a receipt for the item if you ever make a claim... how would i have a receipt for a graded ASM #1???

So I just wanted to let everyone know. I recently had a trade with a friend for books in the value of $800. I was able to ship everything in 1095 Priority box to him since there were a few graded books. In return I received a short box of modern titles. Well needless to say don't ship books vertically such as short boxes.

The box shipped was around 25lbs and someone apparently dropped it on 2 corners which in turn damaged the books in the corners and are no longer in 9.6+ condition. Luckily, insurance was taken out for the total value.

So here's what happens when you file a claim for damage. You need to ship the package to their headquarters for their inspection. The sender needs to furnish pictures prior to shipping the books as well as the packaging of the books before it's sent AND receipts for the value of the books.

Long story short, Canada Post paided back the $800 to the sender but was told that for any future comic books it needs to be accompanied with a professional grader's report which states the value of the comics since they were all modern so why would they reimburse more than the cover price.

So those 2 PP #1, they are not worth over $200 if you have a receipt that states that you paid $2.99 cover price...

Also I asked the sender if he could get local comic shop owners to fill out a value form and sign it but he stated no shop will do it when he asked and there is one person in the city that he lives that will provide a statement but no idea on the cost.

So is insurance really worth it? Even in the US, when I talked to postal employees they stated that you need a receipt for the item if you ever make a claim... how would i have a receipt for a graded ASM #1???

Learn to package properly and only use insurance for lost items. (thumbs u

I had my Iron Man 1 cgc 9.2 western penn get damaged in shipping to Australia and thankfully I had insurance. The process has changed in the last few years.

I had to send pictures before and then pictures of after including the parcel / how it was packaged and the damage. I did provide proof of what was paid for the item as well.

I did not have to send them the book.

I just did an insurance claim with Canada Post last week for a damaged CGC slab that I sold and shipped to the USA.

I provided a signed copy of the fax back form declaring damage (via email)

Sent digital pics from the buyer via email.

Sent a copy of the paypal transaction to indicate price paid via email.

Sent a scan of the original shipping receipt with customs form.

Buyer sent email to verify damage claim is legit.

I did not have to provide pics of BEFORE shipping and I didn't have to send items in questions back to any depot, though I understand it is an option to do so. But you should not be forced to do it by Canada post.

I did everything Canada post asked and they said claim was approved. Just waiting for a cheque in the mail. And the whole process was handled via email.

True... using insurance for lost items... but never had a package lost yet... thank god. :)

If you place a short box in a shipping box surrounded by peanuts then you're fine. A short is for storage. :baiting:

Within the US, you have to supply "proof of value". That is not necessarily a receipt. I have used overstreet and even printouts of comicspriceguide.com. I knew that site was good for something.

Haha... yea the prices on comicspriceguide.com is worth something since we used that to place a value on all the books in the short box.

To Lobo:

Yea I had to ship the entire 25lb box back to Canada Post head quarter so they can inspect the damage. They provided a pre-paid envelope that was good for Canada and not the US. After calling them they stated that if I pay for it with insurance and send them a copy via email for the cost they will reimburse me. So it came out to $87 to ship the box back to their head quarters. Thank god I just got the check because I was worried there for a minute...haha.

So if the slab is damaged, did you insure the value of book and the case was only cracked or was the book itself damaged as well?

Haha... yea the prices on comicspriceguide.com is worth something since we used that to place a value on all the books in the short box.

To Lobo:

Yea I had to ship the entire 25lb box back to Canada Post head quarter so they can inspect the damage. They provided a pre-paid envelope that was good for Canada and not the US. After calling them they stated that if I pay for it with insurance and send them a copy via email for the cost they will reimburse me. So it came out to $87 to ship the box back to their head quarters. Thank god I just got the check because I was worried there for a minute...haha.

So if the slab is damaged, did you insure the value of book and the case was only cracked or was the book itself damaged as well?

I always insure the total value of the book. If the case is cracked then you make a claim for the total value of the book because there could be hidden damage to the book. In this particular situation the 9.8 comic seemed to have acquired a small color breaking crease on the spine that the buyer did not like and he thought the case was tampered with or otherwise damaged.