• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Auctions

449 posts in this topic

The whole thing seems shady. I never heard of this auction site before so they aren't losing any bids from me, however now that I know about them and after seeing the reply from MoundCityAuctions I can with certainty say that I will never use their site to buy a thing.

Site seems shady and his response seems shady way to ruin your own reputation pal go somewhere else. Using your wife as a scapegoat ... classy

bluechip why would you ever pay for something in that type of situation?

Why would he ever put in a bid that's more than he was willing to pay? I bought a few books from that same auction, although mine were snipes so there was no time for shills to bid me up. But if I had put my bids in early, ultimately I'd only put in a price that I thought was fair, so while I'd certainly be pissed about the shilling, I'd still be fine with paying a price I was already willing to pay.

His story sounds more like there was a reserve which was removed at some point and then got slapped in the face with buyers remorse. Just my 2 pesos.

The proper way for reserves to be withdrawn is before a bid is made above that reserve. It is not proper to do it afterward.

And in this case it was not a reserve, and it was not an owner testing the limits of the sale and taking a willing chance on losing the sale and ending up holding the book.

It was the owner of the book in the room, a few feet from auctioneer, bidding live against my bids online, knowing all along he could withdraw his last bid when I reached and he outbid me one more time. Once he knew I was not going to bid higher, he withdrew his final bid.

That is not just my perception; the auction house admitted it, and claimed that I could have also withdrawn my bid. At first they claimed it was possible for me to withdraw a bid online, then later said I should have bid live or by phone. Then called me names and threatened me.

As for buyer's remorse, it wouldn't matter whether that was a factor or not. Because every bidder bases their bids on value expresses by others, and he needs to know that bids made by others carry a risk.

Either that the other bidder will end up with the book he might not want, because he guessed wrong about your limit, or that he will lose a sale to you that he might have had if he hadn't outbid you.

That risk by the other bidder is something everybody figures into the value and the level of bids they are willing to make. Even if it's just that the seller won't let it go for that. Once the seller says no to an offer, he should be able to ask the bidder if he wants to sell at his previous offer. But he should not be able to demand the bidder hold to the offer that was previously rejected.

Full and complete disclosure was made.

Again, it was not the owner bidding as the board member has incorrectly stated. My wife was not the owner and she is 100% within the law to bid an announced reserve under the UCC and Missouri law. We did not break the law.

I am a member of the Board of Directors of the Missouri Professional Auctioneers Association. I will not be slandered or libeled on this board. By stating things as facts that I have clearly proven to be untrue you have damaged my reputation. You are costing me bids. I suggest you take this opportunity to publicly retract your incorrect statements.

Is it acceptable to advance the bid on the consigner/owner's behalf?

Why would he ever put in a bid that's more than he was willing to pay? I bought a few books from that same auction, although mine were snipes so there was no time for shills to bid me up. But if I had put my bids in early, ultimately I'd only put in a price that I thought was fair, so while I'd certainly be pissed about the shilling, I'd still be fine with paying a price I was already willing to pay.

His story sounds more like there was a reserve which was removed at some point and then got slapped in the face with buyers remorse. Just my 2 pesos.

The proper way for reserves to be withdrawn is before a bid is made above that reserve. It is not proper to do it afterward.

And in this case it was not a reserve, and it was not an owner testing the limits of the sale and taking a willing chance on losing the sale and ending up holding the book.

It was the owner of the book in the room, a few feet from auctioneer, bidding live against my bids online, knowing all along he could withdraw his last bid when I reached and he outbid me one more time. Once he knew I was not going to bid higher, he withdrew his final bid.

That is not just my perception; the auction house admitted it, and claimed that I could have also withdrawn my bid. At first they claimed it was possible for me to withdraw a bid online, then later said I should have bid live or by phone. Then called me names and threatened me.

As for buyer's remorse, it wouldn't matter whether that was a factor or not. Because every bidder bases their bids on value expresses by others, and he needs to know that bids made by others carry a risk.

Either that the other bidder will end up with the book he might not want, because he guessed wrong about your limit, or that he will lose a sale to you that he might have had if he hadn't outbid you.

That risk by the other bidder is something everybody figures into the value and the level of bids they are willing to make. Even if it's just that the seller won't let it go for that. Once the seller says no to an offer, he should be able to ask the bidder if he wants to sell at his previous offer. But he should not be able to demand the bidder hold to the offer that was previously rejected.

Again, it was not the owner bidding as the board member has incorrectly stated. My wife was not the owner and she is 100% within the law to bid an announced reserve under the UCC and Missouri law. We did not break the law.

I am a member of the Board of Directors of the Missouri Professional Auctioneers Association. I will not be slandered or libeled on this board. By stating things as facts that I have clearly proven to be untrue you have damaged my reputation. You are costing me bids. I suggest you take this opportunity to publicly retract your incorrect statements.

No material facts are stated incorrectly. I was told the owner was in the room and that it was the owner who retracted the bid. Whether he was a few feet away or whether he instructed someone to retract the bid is immaterial.

The fact is that he (or he/she) was allowed to bid multiple times and then to withdraw his final bid after he realized the other bidder was not going to keep bidding anymore. Under those circumstances the seller bids without any risk of being stuck with the book or getting less than the absolute maximum price, because he can bid until all other bids are made, and then simply withdraw his final bid. Those are the simple unadorned facts. The threats and the name-calling in subsequent emails are also facts And they are consistent with what I am seeing here. Assuming all the same procedures are in place as described to me, this could have been treated as an opportunity to say "hey if it was a misunderstanding, that's regrettable" or whatever -- and to notify potential bidders that they, too, can withdraw their bids, and (presuming it still isn't possible to do so via internet bidding) that they should be on the phone.

I'm not saying what was done was great, but y'all are talking past each other. Their employee bid for the reserve. It seemed to you like the owner was bidding. He wasn't. That was the owner's reserve being bid up. Once they realized that the reserve would not be met, the owner was given a chance to pull the reserve and take the last bid. That was yours an that appears to be what happened. I'm not agreeing that's the bet way to handle a reserve or not. Most comic auction houses simply let buyer bidders bid. If the hit the reserve it sells. If it doesn't, they don't. I doubt it's illegal in MO. But it's unusual in comic auctions we're used to.

Now you can talk to one another if there's something left to say.

I have seen auctions where bids didn't meet reserve and the seller formally offered to sell at the last bid and the last bidder then had to accept or reject that proactively. Again, that is proper (meaning: advisable and better) because it puts a risk on the seller. He is not able to reject a bid in hopes of getting more and then say I'll take if after all.

In this case, I was notified online that I was "outbid" and then much later informed that the seller had withdrawn his last bid only. I was also informed in heated, insulting language that I could have done the same: First I was told I could have done so online. That assertion was then retracted and I was told I could have withdrawn my bid if I had been present or on the phone.

I found that strange, but still might have reacted differently had the conversations been like anything I am used to in dealing with other auction houses, Instead I was subjected to threats and the sort of name-calling that reminded me of being on a playground.

moundcityauctions you really feel it is cool for someone to bid on a book in your auction, be informed that they were outright outbid and then be much later informed that they are now the winning bidder?

I am wondering how do I go about setting up an account with you guys, I would like to place $100,000 bids across the board on every single item in your auction and I demand that you pull or cancel my bids with 1 second left in every single auction. Nothing illegal, it is all within the rules of the auction correct?

Now can you let me know ahead of time if an employee of your site will be shill bidding against my huge bids just so if I get any outbid notices I know not to worry and that I am at least the high bidder until that last second when you kill all my bids? Also it is cool that you keep the shadiness within the family. Having the wife be the shill, amazing.

I have no doubt that they would do this.

I also know that, if I were in bluechip's shoes, when I got the call from them I would just say "Well I now withdraw my final bid. Go back to the consignor and see if they would like to withdraw their second highest and maybe third highest attempts. Then we can talk."

BTW, talked with the Mound City guys at the St. Louis Wizard show. In case anyone does not realize it, their consignment fees are higher than anyone else in the comic auction market. On lots that sell under $5000 they charge a 25% consignment fee and a 15% buyers premium. On lots over $5000 the consignment fee is reduced to 15%. They were offering free consignment fees on lots consigned at the show that finished over $5000. But with the seller's premium you would still be giving up 15% of the final cash price. That is higher than everyone except Heritage. I'm not sure that Mound City has the market awareness that Heritage does at this point.

The way to handle these things, however the law puts it or doesn't, is the way I've seen other auction houses do it: When the seller puts a reserve and sees there is a bid lower than the reserve he'll actually accept, he should instruct the auction house to notify the highest bidder that the "next bid will meet reserve."

That's how Heritage does it, for example.

Most bidders would also be happy if the auction house said that if the bidder approves, his highest bid will meet the reserve. And most bidders would then give that approval.

The essential thing is that both buyer and seller take a risk. Even when sellers have friends bid for them, it carries a risk the seller will end up owning the book and owing the friend as well as the auction house. Even when bidders form bid rings to keep bids low, it carries the risk they will all lose the items they want because they've agreed not to bid on them/

Any talk of buyer's remorse is meaningless if the buyer's most recent offer was formally rejected.

This was a case of reserve remorse.

A reserve must carry the risk that the seller will lose the sale by putting it too high. And any bid, whomever its placed by, must carry the risk that you'll end up with the book you have outbid the other bidders on (whatever the motive, either to get the book or get a higher price). Remove that risk and you guarantee problems.

That is not to say I haven't had problems with auction houses. Bid on things with Heritage that I thought I'd won (and got notification I'd won), and a couple times I hit a button online and saw my bid was higher than I anticipated, because of a software/speed problem as other bids came in.

In each case, however, I chalked it up to "things happen." Why? Because I recognize, for one, that things do happen. And because Heritage spoke to me with common courtesy, and in the manner of an adult. Certainly did not threaten me (as happened here virtually immediately) or call me names like we were both in a kindergarten playground.

You are costing me bids. I suggest you take this opportunity to publicly retract your incorrect statements.

No, I'm pretty sure this is what's costing you bids :

And his tone was threatening and insulting (literally name calling in emails).

"Illegal" and "wrong" are two different things.

-slym

You are costing me bids. I suggest you take this opportunity to publicly retract your incorrect statements.

No, I'm pretty sure this is what's costing you bids :

And his tone was threatening and insulting (literally name calling in emails).

^^

I won Our Army at War #81 and #83 from the associated comics (total of 12 books) for $225. After keeping #81 & #83, I sold them for like $85 included 2nd appearance of M. Mille. Got them graded: #81 CGC 3.0 and #83 CGC 2.5. Sold #81 for $265 and #83 for $708.

Also, I won Our Army at War #112 CGC 6.5 and sold it on ebay for $561. I paid it for only $175. I won several books from him at few times. I don't think they bid on us unless they wanted to own it. Some of his employees wanted to bid too. I was told that few employees of mycomicshop were allowed to bid for themselves.

Yes, they are legit with the licenses.

Sounds like they are legitimate horse's a$Šes, too. After hearing of threatening emails and insults that seem uncalled for, I know I would never do business with them. Of course, I never have before, so no loss to them.

-slym

Lets be fair about this. Most misunderstandings come from 3rd parties picking apart conversations that they didn't have a part in. In cases like this, it takes a little extra effort

The Mound City People are not scam artists or as$es. I spent 3 days with their entire family, including dinner with them one night, and I wouldn't say there is anything shady about them. I could be wrong but I'm a pretty reasonable judge of character... and I'm not saying that because I bought books from them. I could have just as easily bought the books and said negative things. I just took them as genuine, hardworking, salt of the earth, honest people. The kind this forum likes to support.

I also happen to know Bob (bluechip collectibles) reasonably well too through this chat forum, through talking to him in San Diego over several years and through email and I think he's a reasonable guy too.

Like I said, most problems occur in miscommunication and I find it hard that the two couldn't work something reasonable out.

Regarding their past, in Nov. 2009, Mound city were inexperienced with comic auctions and got overwhelmed with their first major auction, and having a turnout that exceeded their expectations exponentially probably made them a victim of their own success. They found what was supposed to be a $5000 pile of comics in a $50K house in the basement of a house and it turned out to be a $1MIL find that made national news.

Yes there were problems bidding through various online channels because of stuff like internet lag, etc. and yes the packaging / shipping company they sub-contracted the work to dropped the ball. Often the best laid plans sometimes fail and fail miserably. It happens to most of us all the time unless you aren't human. Comic collectors like their stuff done a certain way, and they want it done now and we're used to Clink/CConnect/Heritage catering to us in a certain way. Mound City was just a non comic book, estate auction house that got wrapped up in a hobby they didn't understand.

From what I understand they made pretty much everything right with people that had a problem from the 1st auction.

As far as bidding against the reserve, I suppose this comes down to communication. Maybe I missed something (and I didn't read every post in detail) but if it's legal in the state of MO and it is explained in their bidder agreements (so that everything is upfront and the average bidder knows what they are bidding against) then there is not much more to say about it.

It's no different than bidding against a reserve.

If there was a problem, it may have been in the way it was communicated with the bidder and I wasn't there for that conversation, but that's the only reasonable thing that I can think of to explain it.

I personally have never heard of this sort of thing and it would catch me by surprise too if I didn't look into it before bidding but I'd give people the benefit of the doubt, especially a family run business that has been around some time before calling them names on the internet.

It's just too easy on the internet to get one side of a story and run with it, and quite honestly, it's no skin off most people's azzes so they don't think about the consequences...until it happens to them.

Lets be fair about this. Most misunderstandings come from 3rd parties picking apart conversations that they didn't have a part in. In cases like this, it takes a little extra effort

The Mound City People are not scam artists or as$es. I spent 3 days with their entire family, including dinner with them one night, and I wouldn't say there is anything shady about them. I could be wrong but I'm a pretty reasonable judge of character... and I'm not saying that because I bought books from them. I could have just as easily bought the books and said negative things. I just took them as genuine, hardworking, salt of the earth, honest people. The kind this forum likes to support.

I also happen to know Bob (bluechip collectibles) reasonably well too through this chat forum, through talking to him in San Diego over several years and through email and I think he's a reasonable guy too.

Like I said, most problems occur in miscommunication and I find it hard that the two couldn't work something reasonable out.

Regarding their past, in Nov. 2009, Mound city were inexperienced with comic auctions and got overwhelmed with their first major auction, and having a turnout that exceeded their expectations exponentially probably made them a victim of their own success. They found what was supposed to be a $5000 pile of comics in a $50K house in the basement of a house and it turned out to be a $1MIL find that made national news.

Yes there were problems bidding through various online channels because of stuff like internet lag, etc. and yes the packaging / shipping company they sub-contracted the work to dropped the ball. Often the best laid plans sometimes fail and fail miserably. It happens to most of us all the time unless you aren't human. Comic collectors like their stuff done a certain way, and they want it done now and we're used to Clink/CConnect/Heritage catering to us in a certain way. Mound City was just a non comic book, estate auction house that got wrapped up in a hobby they didn't understand.

From what I understand they made pretty much everything right with people that had a problem from the 1st auction.

As far as bidding against the reserve, I suppose this comes down to communication. Maybe I missed something (and I didn't read every post in detail) but if it's legal in the state of MO and it is explained in their bidder agreements (so that everything is upfront and the average bidder knows what they are bidding against) then there is not much more to say about it.

If there was a problem, it may have been in the way it was communicated with the bidder and I wasn't there for that conversation, but that's the only reasonable thing that I can think of to explain it.

I personally have never heard of this sort of thing and it would catch me by surprise too if I didn't look into it before bidding but I'd give people the benefit of the doubt, especially a family run business that has been around some time before calling them names on the internet.

It's just too easy on the internet to get one side of a story and run with it, and quite honestly, it's no skin off most people's azzes so they don't think about the consequences...until it happens to them.

I thought you left :baiting:

:censored:

People keep saying that.

I never said I was leaving, just slowing down.

(shrug)

I'll probably still chime in on threads that I think are interesting and important (why miss an opportunity to pontificate?), and I'll lurk and read for sure, but I think it's time to slow it down a bit.

This isn't an FDQ, just a pause. Maybe I'm getting old.

Too bad, so sad.

:devil:

I won Our Army at War #81 and #83 from the associated comics (total of 12 books) for $225. After keeping #81 & #83, I sold them for like $85 included 2nd appearance of M. Mille. Got them graded: #81 CGC 3.0 and #83 CGC 2.5. Sold #81 for $265 and #83 for $708.

Also, I won Our Army at War #112 CGC 6.5 and sold it on ebay for $561. I paid it for only $175. I won several books from him at few times. I don't think they bid on us unless they wanted to own it. Some of his employees wanted to bid too. I was told that few employees of mycomicshop were allowed to bid for themselves.

So your validation for this auction house is that you made some money off of them ?

Nicely done, RD

People keep saying that.

I never said I was leaving, just slowing down.

(shrug)

I'll probably still chime in on threads that I think are interesting and important (why miss an opportunity to pontificate?), and I'll lurk and read for sure, but I think it's time to slow it down a bit.

This isn't an FDQ, just a pause. Maybe I'm getting old.

Too bad, so sad.

That is, until you get within five posts of greggy, and the Mods suddenly give you a "vacation". :devil:

So your validation for this auction house is that you made some money off of them ?

From what I took from that post, I think he was trying to show that they weren't bidding to maximize profits for themselves as they left money on the table.

Had they been shill bidding to maximize profits, the books would have initially sold for much more - closer to fair market value.

That is, until you get within five posts of greggy, and the Mods suddenly give you a "vacation". :devil:

I have yet to receive a person_without_enough_empathy slap from the mods, unless of course...maybe I'm on the payroll.

I have yet to receive a person_without_enough_empathy slap from the mods, unless of course...maybe I'm on the payroll.

We know you're on the payroll.... (thumbs u

Why else do you always come rushing to the company's defense whenever someone dares say something about them that you don't agree with? hm

:ohnoez:

We know you're on the payroll.... (thumbs u

Why else do you always come rushing to the company's defense whenever someone dares say something about them that you don't agree with? hm

:ohnoez:

Yup. Agendas. Everyone has one...except you of course.

If I was on the payroll, I wouldn't be complaining about their grades, would I?

:makepoint: