• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Auctions

449 posts in this topic

The seller advanced one bid further, trying to get me to bid higher,. And then, only after seeing that no further bids were coming, withdrew his last bid. (and none of the others before it)

This is the crux of the matter.

This wasn't an effort to set a reserve, but rather an attempt to squeeze every drop out of the real bidder.

It might be legal, but any company who thinks this might be right...well, I'd be wary of every business decision they made. :facepalm:

Yups.

User MoundCityAuctions = Rob Weiman

User moundcitycomics = Rob Lite

Who's Classic? ???

Hi, this is Rob Lite - I finally created my own account on here so there wont be any confusion about if Classic or I are posting.

My son is not a JR. so we call him Rob Lite

I don't want to be old Rob so I go by Rob Classic moundcityauctions

OK, I get it, some of you will never sell with us, some of you will never bid on our auctions. For the rest of you we have an online only auction that ends in 12 minutes or so.

http://bit.ly/17808Rv

So.... you're taking your ball and going home?

No... he's spamming the thread.

Hmmmm. That certainly is questionable behavior from such a large business. One could liken it to scumbaggery dirty pool.

lol

OK, I get it, some of you will never sell with us, some of you will never bid on our auctions. For the rest of you we have an online only auction that ends in 12 minutes or so.

http://bit.ly/17808Rv

So.... you're taking your ball and going home?

No... he's spamming the thread.

Hmmmm. That certainly is questionable behavior from such a large business. One could liken it to scumbaggery dirty pool.

User MoundCityAuctions = Rob Weiman

User moundcitycomics = Rob Lite

Who's Classic? ???

Hi, this is Rob Lite - I finally created my own account on here so there wont be any confusion about if Classic or I are posting.

My son is not a JR. so we call him Rob Lite

I don't want to be old Rob so I go by Rob Classic moundcityauctions

Well, that's cleared up.

Every time I hear about the "legalities" of questionable behavior in business I walk away. My experience is that all too often it shows a lack of accountability and character. Integrity is everything.

(thumbs u

When bidding in an auction you often consider the market interest in a book as one of the influences in what you are willing to bid.

If you are bidding and there there are other interested parties you may bid differently than if you are bidding and know there are no other interested parties.

If all bidders (online, offline, video chat, skype, semaphor, or smoke signal) knew that the "other bidder" was actually not an interested bidder and just the reserve being reinforced then I say fine as long at that is explicit for each time it occurred.

And to be clear, the above is different than merely showing a book as having a reserve.

If everyone bidding did not know this information it was an uneven playing field.

Sounds like the seller (and by extension the auction) house wanted both their cake (a reserve) and to eat it too (have the option of taking a sub-reserve bid (that had been bid up buy the reserve, not by another bidder) if the buyer decided to drop the reserve).

Okay, I just got home, and now I'm going to try and put this mess to bed.

Bluechip registered and participated in a comic book auction we held in 2010. At this auction, we sold a copy of Marvel #1. The copy was in pretty terrible shape, and ended up being graded as NG. The owner placed a reserve on the comic. We offered the comic at the auction along with many other comics from a wide variety of consignors - some of those books had reserves, most did not.

The auction in question was a live simulcast sale - there were people bidding in person at a facility we rented for the sale, and people participating through online bidding provided by Proxibid and if I recall correctly, Auctionzip Live. Bluechip was participating via Proxibid's web based bidding application. I was one of the employees running that application.

When we signed the contract with the consignor who provided us with the copy of Marvel #1, it laid out the rules we as the auction company and he as the consignor had to follow. One of them was that any reserves had to be submitted to us in writing well in advance of the live auction event. He did that - providing us with a written reserve on the Marvel #1. I believe that Classic was correct when he stated earlier that the amount was roughly $5,700 - but it was nearly 3 years ago, so I might be off by a small amount. Regardless, the reserve was submitted both legally, and according to our contract. The seller did not give us permission to publicly state his reserve amount before the auction took place.

The video showing the sale of the comic has already been posted. If you haven't watched it, go do so. The original complaint we received from Bluechip has also already been posted in this thread.

The reserve placed on this comic was not met during the live bidding. The fact that the book had a reserve was PATENTLY obvious - just watch the video, or read the earlier posts here - I won't belabor that point any further. For Bluechip to claim he was unaware there had been a reserve on the comic is simply something we cannot be responsible for - we fully disclosed that fact both in the internet bidding platform and through the live video feed we provided during the auction event. Once that objection was met, his next complaint was related to the manner in which the reserve was played out. The video we shared before shows precisely how the reserve was bid - live bids from either the floor bidders or from the participants online were received by the auctioneer, then the reserve was bid by a staff member - the auctioneer's wife in this instance. I understand that this can seem disconcerting to people not used to it. But look at it this way - there was an established reserve on that book - I don't believe anyone doubts me on that issue. The bidding reached by the crowd (whether in person or online) did not come close to the number needed for that book to sell. So the bidding was advanced to determine the highest bid the public would go to - the fair market value for the item. Once this point was reached, it was still lower than the reserve on the book. At that point, the auctioneer had not closed the sale of that item - he did not say sold, and he did not indicate otherwise that the lot had been either sold or passed - again, see the video for proof. Instead, in order to fulfill his duty to the client - the owner of the comic - he asked if the owner was willing to lower his reserve to the amount the bidder had offered in his most recent bid. The owner accepted Bluechip's offer, and the auctioneer announced the sale, closing the contract. Without us bidding the reserve, the comic would have never reached the bid it did, and the seller would in no way have accepted the lower bid for the book. It is our job to act as an intercessory agent between the buyer and the seller, to procure bids to present to the seller for their goods. If the seller has stated as this one did, that they will not accept a bid lower than a certain amount, it is in our best interest, as well as the sellers best interest AND THE BUYERS BEST INTEREST to try and find a price that is acceptable to both parties.

In response to an earlier question - yes, the above method of handling reserves is VERY common in other auctions in other segments of the auction industry. Additionally, it was explained in the terms and conditions of the sale which Bluechip agreed to by registering and by participating in the auction - in no uncertain terms.

That all being said, we have already changed the manner in which we sell comics - remember, this complaint by Bluechip was in regards to an auction that took place nearly 3 years ago. Currently, we have 2 distinct venues in which we sell comics. Lower value comics (whether due to condition or to their being Modern comics) are sold in our monthly consignment auctions - either in bulk lots of low value books (sold by the box to local bidders without internet bidding provided) or in grouped lots (typically between 10 to 100 comics) with online pre-bidding (absentee bidding provided through Bidopia). Comics with values higher than those sold during these monthly consignment auctions are scheduled for our quarterly Marquee Comic Auctions, which are held as online only auctions similar to an eBay style auction, but with linked soft close - the lots automatically extend when bids are placed within the last 5 minutes of the end of the item (typically extending by 5 minutes) and these time extensions are linked amongst similar books (typically grouped by title - so for example if someone bids on a copy of ASM #1 in the last 5 minutes, it would extend the time on that lot as well as other ASM books in the same auction).

With our current selling method being online only, the issue of reserves being bid by representatives of Mound City Auctions at comic book auctions should be laid to rest. Our monthly consignment sales are primarily for bulk lots of lower value comics, and to the best of my knowledge in the past 12 months of doing those sales, we have not had a reserve placed on any book sold during those monthly consignment auctions, rendering those auctions a non-issue in regards to reserve bidding.

As far as posting ads on this section of the board, I'll inform Classic not to do so in the future, and see if I can have him edit and remove that post - I can't speak for him, but I'm sure it wasn't an intentional violation of board rules, we simply don't post on here all that often - so my apologies on that one. Future advertisements will go in the correct place here.

Finally - at least for this post - I'm well aware that some of you have had bad experiences dealing with us in the past - whether it was shipping concerns from the auction in 2009 (which I'll note, we made strenuous efforts to correct that I'm certain at least some forum members will remember) or related to posts made by people who were unsatisfied that they bid more than they intended and didn't read the terms and conditions they agreed to follow, and thus had a bad sale with us, or simply those who have met us in person and aren't impressed. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion - and I am WELL aware that I'm simply not going to cut the mustard with all of you. And that's fine - I could spend all my time trying to please everyone on this board, and what I'd end up with is some very big headaches and a lot of time used up that could have probably been spent better elsewhere. I know I can't make all of you happy - but I can tell you this. I'm trying to do the best that I can to make our sales as good as they can possibly be. I'm not Comiclink, Comicconnect, Heritage, Hakes, Christie's, Sotheby's, or anybody else for that matter. I'm one of 5 people who comprise a small auction house in the midwest. We stumbled into a world class collection of books back in 2009, we did the best we could to sell them, we learned a lot and we are still learning.

To our credit, we haven't had a single complaint about shipping since the first comic auction, and we've had several since then.

When bidding in an auction you often consider the market interest in a book as one of the influences in what you are willing to bid.

If you are bidding and there there are other interested parties you may bid differently than if you are bidding and know there are no other interested parties.

If all bidders (online, offline, video chat, skype, semaphor, or smoke signal) knew that the "other bidder" was actually not an interested bidder and just the reserve being reinforced then I say fine as long at that is explicit for each time it occurred.

And to be clear, the above is different than merely showing a book as having a reserve.

If everyone bidding did not know this information it was an uneven playing field.

Sounds like the seller (and by extension the auction) house wanted both their cake (a reserve) and to eat it too (have the option of taking a sub-reserve bid (that had been bid up buy the reserve, not by another bidder) if the buyer decided to drop the reserve).

It seems to me that this hobby's collectors will never accept 3 things.... pressing, shiny stickers, and shill bidding.

No matter how much VintageComics puts an alternative spin on them.

Am I wrong? I've been wrong before. I can't remember the last time, though. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to spin anything. I'm simply interested in the details, as that is where everything that is important rests.

People have a tendency to read something on the internet and form a quick opinion about someone.

IMO, it's easy to condemn. It's a lot more rewarding to both trying understand and to improve improve something.

It seems to me that this hobby's collectors will never accept 3 things.... pressing, shiny stickers, and shill bidding.

Am I wrong? I've been wrong before. I can't remember the last time, though. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

This forum is full of a lot of smart people, but you still do not have a firm grasp on shill bidding. If you want to know more about Auctions and Auction Law I suggest you read Mike Brandly's post. Mike is a fellow National Auctioneers Association member and like myself and Lite holds the highest designation in the Auction World CAI or Certified Auctioneers Institute. Here is his blog post on what is Shill Bidding http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/what-is-shill-bidding/

This forum is full of a lot of smart people, but you still do not have a firm grasp on shill bidding. If you want to know more about Auctions and Auction Law I suggest you read Mike Brandly's post. Mike is a fellow National Auctioneers Association member and like myself and Lite holds the highest designation in the Auction World CAI or Certified Auctioneers Institute. Here is his blog post on what is Shill Bidding http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/what-is-shill-bidding/

Auction law? Do you mean Tort law i.e. Material Concealment, negligent misrepresentation and Fraud?

That's all fine and dandy. But our (your potential customers) definition of shill bidding is someone raising the price of an item, where that person has no desire to actually win the item. Only to raise the cost of the item to the eventual winner of the auction.

If you want our business, you have to conform to our standards. Not the other way around.

Auction law? Do you mean Tort law i.e. Material Concealment, negligent misrepresentation and Fraud?

No, I was thinking more like full disclosure, video feed and UCC 3-238

But if your mind is already made up facts will not matter.

Okay, I just got home, and now I'm going to try and put this mess to bed.

Bluechip registered and participated in a comic book auction we held in 2010. At this auction, we sold a copy of Marvel #1. The copy was in pretty terrible shape, and ended up being graded as NG. The owner placed a reserve on the comic. We offered the comic at the auction along with many other comics from a wide variety of consignors - some of those books had reserves, most did not.

The auction in question was a live simulcast sale - there were people bidding in person at a facility we rented for the sale, and people participating through online bidding provided by Proxibid and if I recall correctly, Auctionzip Live. Bluechip was participating via Proxibid's web based bidding application. I was one of the employees running that application.

When we signed the contract with the consignor who provided us with the copy of Marvel #1, it laid out the rules we as the auction company and he as the consignor had to follow. One of them was that any reserves had to be submitted to us in writing well in advance of the live auction event. He did that - providing us with a written reserve on the Marvel #1. I believe that Classic was correct when he stated earlier that the amount was roughly $5,700 - but it was nearly 3 years ago, so I might be off by a small amount. Regardless, the reserve was submitted both legally, and according to our contract. The seller did not give us permission to publicly state his reserve amount before the auction took place.

The video showing the sale of the comic has already been posted. If you haven't watched it, go do so. The original complaint we received from Bluechip has also already been posted in this thread.

The reserve placed on this comic was not met during the live bidding. The fact that the book had a reserve was PATENTLY obvious - just watch the video, or read the earlier posts here - I won't belabor that point any further. For Bluechip to claim he was unaware there had been a reserve on the comic is simply something we cannot be responsible for - we fully disclosed that fact both in the internet bidding platform and through the live video feed we provided during the auction event. Once that objection was met, his next complaint was related to the manner in which the reserve was played out. The video we shared before shows precisely how the reserve was bid - live bids from either the floor bidders or from the participants online were received by the auctioneer, then the reserve was bid by a staff member - the auctioneer's wife in this instance. I understand that this can seem disconcerting to people not used to it. But look at it this way - there was an established reserve on that book - I don't believe anyone doubts me on that issue. The bidding reached by the crowd (whether in person or online) did not come close to the number needed for that book to sell. So the bidding was advanced to determine the highest bid the public would go to - the fair market value for the item. Once this point was reached, it was still lower than the reserve on the book. At that point, the auctioneer had not closed the sale of that item - he did not say sold, and he did not indicate otherwise that the lot had been either sold or passed - again, see the video for proof. Instead, in order to fulfill his duty to the client - the owner of the comic - he asked if the owner was willing to lower his reserve to the amount the bidder had offered in his most recent bid. The owner accepted Bluechip's offer, and the auctioneer announced the sale, closing the contract. Without us bidding the reserve, the comic would have never reached the bid it did, and the seller would in no way have accepted the lower bid for the book. It is our job to act as an intercessory agent between the buyer and the seller, to procure bids to present to the seller for their goods. If the seller has stated as this one did, that they will not accept a bid lower than a certain amount, it is in our best interest, as well as the sellers best interest AND THE BUYERS BEST INTEREST to try and find a price that is acceptable to both parties.

In response to an earlier question - yes, the above method of handling reserves is VERY common in other auctions in other segments of the auction industry. Additionally, it was explained in the terms and conditions of the sale which Bluechip agreed to by registering and by participating in the auction - in no uncertain terms.

That all being said, we have already changed the manner in which we sell comics - remember, this complaint by Bluechip was in regards to an auction that took place nearly 3 years ago. Currently, we have 2 distinct venues in which we sell comics. Lower value comics (whether due to condition or to their being Modern comics) are sold in our monthly consignment auctions - either in bulk lots of low value books (sold by the box to local bidders without internet bidding provided) or in grouped lots (typically between 10 to 100 comics) with online pre-bidding (absentee bidding provided through Bidopia). Comics with values higher than those sold during these monthly consignment auctions are scheduled for our quarterly Marquee Comic Auctions, which are held as online only auctions similar to an eBay style auction, but with linked soft close - the lots automatically extend when bids are placed within the last 5 minutes of the end of the item (typically extending by 5 minutes) and these time extensions are linked amongst similar books (typically grouped by title - so for example if someone bids on a copy of ASM #1 in the last 5 minutes, it would extend the time on that lot as well as other ASM books in the same auction).

With our current selling method being online only, the issue of reserves being bid by representatives of Mound City Auctions at comic book auctions should be laid to rest. Our monthly consignment sales are primarily for bulk lots of lower value comics, and to the best of my knowledge in the past 12 months of doing those sales, we have not had a reserve placed on any book sold during those monthly consignment auctions, rendering those auctions a non-issue in regards to reserve bidding.

As far as posting ads on this section of the board, I'll inform Classic not to do so in the future, and see if I can have him edit and remove that post - I can't speak for him, but I'm sure it wasn't an intentional violation of board rules, we simply don't post on here all that often - so my apologies on that one. Future advertisements will go in the correct place here.

Finally - at least for this post - I'm well aware that some of you have had bad experiences dealing with us in the past - whether it was shipping concerns from the auction in 2009 (which I'll note, we made strenuous efforts to correct that I'm certain at least some forum members will remember) or related to posts made by people who were unsatisfied that they bid more than they intended and didn't read the terms and conditions they agreed to follow, and thus had a bad sale with us, or simply those who have met us in person and aren't impressed. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion - and I am WELL aware that I'm simply not going to cut the mustard with all of you. And that's fine - I could spend all my time trying to please everyone on this board, and what I'd end up with is some very big headaches and a lot of time used up that could have probably been spent better elsewhere. I know I can't make all of you happy - but I can tell you this. I'm trying to do the best that I can to make our sales as good as they can possibly be. I'm not Comiclink, Comicconnect, Heritage, Hakes, Christie's, Sotheby's, or anybody else for that matter. I'm one of 5 people who comprise a small auction house in the midwest. We stumbled into a world class collection of books back in 2009, we did the best we could to sell them, we learned a lot and we are still learning.

To our credit, we haven't had a single complaint about shipping since the first comic auction, and we've had several since then.

So if I read this correctly, I can set a super high reserve with you provided I provide it to you well in advance of the auction in writing. I then have the ability to see what the highest bid anyone is willing to make on the book and then decide if I want to accept it or not. This is how you conduct your auctions?

One more question, if I decline the highest offer so the book doesn't sell, do I have to pay you anything?

I believe what Classic is referring to here is the Uniform Commercial Code as it relates to sales performed by auction. I would be very careful using terms like Material Concealment, negligent misrepresentation, and Fraud.

Look, this is stupid. We are having a debate about a book that sold almost 3 years ago, in a sale type that we don't perform any longer, one that after a protracted argument with the bidder, the bidder ended up paying for and receiving the comic after the auction. If he doesn't want to do business with us again, that is his choice. If after hearing about the transaction, some of you don't wish to do business with us, that is also your choice. However, passing judgement without hearing both sides is idiotic. Accusing us of breaking the law is likewise idiotic. If you want to understand what happened at the sale, go back, watch the video, and read the post I made prior to this one. If you want to have a big dumb forum fight, go right ahead, have a blast.

And really, unless I'm misreading your post, it looks as if you are accusing my company of engaging in fraud. I don't appreciate the accusation.