• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Violation of Intellectual property rights"?

223 posts in this topic

Do you people have any idea how much the patent process costs? Six figures to start, and that's for a basic one.

Now apart from costs, I doubt anything on Josh's site is even open, as patents are not given out based on "comic book sites". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

He'd be in there fighting with a Amazon's, EBay's and Best Buy's of the online world, not Pedigree, MileHigh or Metro.

patents have been granted for the "tabs" layout that made Amazon famous (and the navagation that Comic Link uses) and also for "hyperlinks". You don't have to invent it to patent it. These patents were granted by companies looking for "loopholes" so that they could try and muscle other websites into paying licensing fee. Of course, they never went after websites that could fight back financially.

a patent for a "comic book site" is very possible.

a patent for a "comic book site" is very possible.

1. [*]I entirely disagree...you can't patent an entire market segment, only original inventions, proprietary business processes, and works of art.[*]Even if it were possible, it would be entirely unenforcable. If we use ComicLink as the example, there were other comic book sites on the web before them.

To be patentable, an invention must be "non-obvious", have "utility", and have been "reduced to practice". On the basis of obviousness, I submit that there is nothing patentable regarding the business concept/model of Comiclink. The software functionality is another matter.

To be patentable, an invention must be "non-obvious", have "utility", and have been "reduced to practice". On the basis of obviousness, I submit that there is nothing patentable regarding the business concept/model of Comiclink. The software functionality is another matter.

you're probably right but when i heard that hyperlinks were patented several years after the world wide web was created, i lost faith that nothing could be patented.

where there is a will, there is a way.

Souns like a direct hit at pedigree confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree... and I can't imagine Doug is too concerned... I find it highly unlikely that as a lawyer himself he wouldn't have been aware if it was much of a concern. juggle.gif

The irony here is that if the target of ComicLink's ad is as stated, there is a big grinning picture of Doug holding his prized 9.4 FF 1 & 5 (?) right on the opposite page 27_laughing.gif

586706-irony.jpg

586706-irony.jpg.725ece2086fd349dad5c3d5cda560f5d.jpg

Jeez... I always thought the Captain was older...

In the early 90s, he must have been recently out of law school... and he could afford to amass all these pedigree books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

My college buddies that went on to law school were lucky to be able to pay off their school loans in the first 10 years of their practice. 893whatthe.giftonofbricks.gif

Healthy living? All that fresh Jersey air with preservatives and aerial embalmants floating around 27_laughing.gif... j/k guys hi.gif

Same here about buddies that went the law school route...getting placement with the right firm or clerking for the right judge may help cut down on those 10 years, but they didn't have too much available for expensive hobbies. Although according to reports on here, pedigree silver age Marvels were a dime a dozen in the 90's when all eyes and wallets were open for glam variants and manufactured collectibles?

Zip,

I'm old, dude (41). Funny books just keep you looking and feeling young.

Since that's only 5 years older than me, that's NOT old!! thumbsup2.gif

With your moniker and mind boggling collection, I guess I always envisioned a 60 year old Jerry Garcia looking guy who'd been collecting for 40 years. tongue.gif

hi.gif

When you come to Melbourne we'll do the food/drink thing and introduce you to some great Australian wine.

Just had a killer bottle last night: D'Arenberg "Dead Arm" Shiraz. Yum! Not as good as Grange or 707, but reeeeeaaal nice.

The Dead Arm is killer juice. I've had the 98 and the 99 and both are amazing.

Six figures to apply for a patent? Hardly. Most patent prosecution lawyers can do it as a fixed fee for far less.

Do you people have any idea how much the patent process costs? Six figures to start, and that's for a basic one.

Now apart from costs, I doubt anything on Josh's site is even open, as patents are not given out based on "comic book sites". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

He'd be in there fighting with a Amazon's, EBay's and Best Buy's of the online world, not Pedigree, MileHigh or Metro.

Six figures to apply for a patent? Hardly. Most patent prosecution lawyers can do it as a fixed fee for far less.

Right, but that is six figures CANADIAN, which is about $45.85 US.

The patents I've been involved with cost in the low six figures actually.. but they were probably of medium complexity.

If it's a really simple invention, I guess it could be done for much less. Even without an attorney, the fees involved would probably make it a minimum of a couple of grand if done correctly. (fees, drawings, etc.)

You're talking about the entire process, not the application. Joe said it costs six figures to get started. In my experience, it doesn't.

The patents I've been involved with cost in the low six figures actually.. but they were probably of medium complexity.

If it's a really simple invention, I guess it could be done for much less. Even without an attorney, the fees involved would probably make it a minimum of a couple of grand if done correctly. (fees, drawings, etc.)