• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the right call here?

115 posts in this topic

I posted a book in the sale section.

Someone posted this- :takeit: pending a scan.

Sent him a PM but he had left the sight for the night.

Someone else comes along and posts :takeit:

Who do I sell the book to?

I thought outright "Ill take its" always took precedence over conditional ones regardless of timestamp.

I always thought that was up to the seller and how he wanted to run his sale (shrug)

First guy should have right of refusal.

Second guy was being a bit cute by not posting "I'll take it if he doesn't want it" IMHO.

But also agree with Watson - would it have killed you to wait?

If you had said :takeit: (Unconditonal) supersedes all other :takeit:s...

Then you'd be fine. As it is, it sounds like you agreed to wait until the first guy refuses it.

The unconditional :takeit: .

Furthermore, you created own problem by listing a book for sale without a scan and, more than likely, before you even had it in hand.

Do sellers here still do this? :facepalm:

It's actually become quite de rigueur. All the kool kids do it. (thumbs u

Why wait until all your ducks are in a row when you can run the risk of things going south because of your colossal impatience? :P

Not saying that happening in this case, but I have to ask why a scan wasn't available?

I would handle it by its literal timeline. The dude that posted the :takeit: pending scan gets it pending the scan. Should that not work out then the second :takeit: dude gets it. Why the second guy dropped in with a grifter-style :takeit: when there was clearly another :takeit: already hanging out there I do not know.

Looking at the post you didn't post any rules at all.

Looking at the replies the first guy sent you an email and you sent a reply. Not knowing the facts I can't comment on what transpired, what was agreed upon, or where it was left.

To expect the buyer to be on here 24/7 seems tough though.

Then there was a post of take it.

If you could shed some light on what transpired via PM I might change my response but from where I'm standing the first one to post take it gets the opportunity to complete the deal or not. I would say 24 hours from your last communication with them would be fair. Then it should go to the second person to say they'll take it.

BTW, I posted an unconditional take it in a thread to buy a book where the rules clearly stated that the first unconditional take it got the book. Needless to say the seller chose to sell it to someone else for some reason that's been forgotten.

I would handle it by its literal timeline. The dude that posted the :takeit: pending scan gets it pending the scan. Should that not work out then the second :takeit: dude gets it. Why the second guy dropped in with a grifter-style :takeit: when there was clearly another :takeit: already hanging out there I do not know.

Sounds about right.

If you didn't lay out a rule stating 1st outright I will take it wins, and I am pretty sure the marketplace does not have this rule outright listed then I think you need to let the person who posted it pending scans at least have a chance to see the scans and decide.