• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Purchases Showcase 4 CGC 9.4

61 posts in this topic

I agree with you on the scan. Looks like it was definitely "stitched" together from two individual scans.

Yes. And I just attended to the LEFT side of the book and the same indent (or outdent in this case). Definitely a stitched scan - absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if you do it you should either insure the alignment is perfect (it can at certain dpi - not at others) or just make a composite single scan (easy to do with copy/paste - or even cut/paste) that show an independent body-of-the-book scan and a CGC Label. smile.gif

Hell no!!! Not implying at all that it was trimmed. Like Pov. noted, it seemed to be a strange scan that chopped and cropped the book at a strange point, almost giving a sheared off look to the top right and top left. I couldn't put my finger on why, but Pov. called it, looks like a composite scan. I was just kidding about no right top corner, alluding to a crooked scan. It looks like an awesome book from what can be gleaned from the scan, and quite frankly, who else but Jay or Metro can regularly come up with books like this? Personally, I think the Showcase 4 in CGC 9.4 blows the doors off an AF15 in CGC 9.4 as far as rarity and value BUT we already had that rarity versus popularity and demand discourse in another thread.

I agree. I collect Golden Age and have a "sell all the Silver to spin into Gold" mentality, BUT, THAT Showcase 4?.... I couldn't bring myself to sell it. It's a Rembrandt or a DaVinci. In all possibility....irreplaceable, invalueable. UNTIL a 9.6 shows up (and this IS a Show 4 we're talking about), the chances of a 9.6 turning up are astronomically against it.

My God, that's a beautiful book. Congratulations to you, Metropolis. I don't care how big or how little someone is in the field, a book like that would reduce anyone to drooling fan. (anyone but murph, of course).

What a gem.

-- Joanna

Hell no!!! Not implying at all that it was trimmed. Like Pov. noted, it seemed to be a strange scan that chopped and cropped the book at a strange point, almost giving a sheared off look to the top right and top left. Personally, I think the Showcase 4 in CGC 9.4 blows the doors off an AF15 in CGC 9.4 as far as rarity and value BUT we already had that rarity versus popularity and demand discourse in another thread.

Sorry shocked.gif How can you tell I've never stitched together a scan before confused.gif Thanks for clarifying.

I have to agree with everyone, that is one stunning book!!!

Why bother posting this if you aren't going to tell us how much you paid. Big deal, another high grade book passes from one collection to another. Happens every day. It would be interested if it was a record breaking sale, but if not who cares?

"Hey Oldguy, everything has a price."

Unless you can meet it then as far as you're concerned it doesn’t.

Sheer brilliance. Right off the bat, with the way your statement is arranged... well, it just doesn't make a lick o' sense. And as far as (what I assume was) your TRUE intent behind your maligned, misaligned snipe... if you want me to butt out, all you have to do is say so. I won't, but it's funny to watch you flail helplessly like that. Beyond THAT (man, you're just all sorts of wrong here), everything DOES have a price. Whether or not I can afford it is immaterial. Do we need to get into the realities of the marketplace or are you going to stop being a whiny malcontent?

Ok, you win. You are much more betterer then me and can post more weller then I ever will. You learned me real good. Let me know what the selling price is when you find out. I'll just stay in my ignorant little corner of the world and be a whiny malcontent. wink.gif

I was also wondering whether this was the copy from the 1992 Grading Guide. Overstreet graded that one as MINT 99. Kind of interesting to see how CGC's grading differs from that of Overstreet a decade ago...I know the Spidey #1 featured in the centerfold of the 1992 edition was listed there as a NM 95, and that CGC gave it a 9.0.