• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Disney 1-30 pre Barks

69 posts in this topic

First let me say that this is one of the best threads in a long time, your collection of books is incredible! I truly love these duck books. After I get done selling off my collection I may start over with them.

IMHO #18 is easily one of, if not the best, cover so far. I agree that it is not clear what exactly has happened, but to me it does not matter. The image of Donald reading a book titled "Self Control and Will Power" is priceless. Especailly considering that all of all my Saturday morning cartoon memories of Donald revolve around him loosing it at one point or another.

Great books! Keep 'em coming.

893applaud-thumb.gif

19 20 21

19 is interesting in that there is a panel in issue 16 that is the exact same image without the background art. Disney has multiple covers with a turkey or rooster playing the nemisis to Donald. A classic all the way around

20. Perfect WWII patriotic cover, great bright red background

21 A really really funny gag, easy to miss if you don't read the sign on the pole. One of many water hole covers Disney used. Another classic.

wdcs19.jpg

wdcs20.jpg

wdcs21.jpg

22 23 24

Starting to wind down as seen by the responses.

#22 The perfect Disney patriotic flag cover. Never for sale. Disney at its best

#23 Brilliant coloring, the best of the lot. I wish this were in better condition so as not to distract. Great gag, love the fish expressions.

#24 Love the gag, it gets funnier the more you look at it. Chopping up the sausage cracks me up. Very busy but still, great art.

wdcs22.jpg

wdcs23.jpg

wdcs24.jpg

25 26 27

25 The first of many, Donald as substitute teacher" cover gags. Just hilarious. Every gag on the chalkboard is funny, the 3 gift apples, and Louie tipping is cap. Priceless.

26 A return to the Mickey Mouse Magazine type cover. Poster like.

27 First of many Donald dummy replica covers. I like all the red background great effect. BTW isn't Donalds bowtie supposed to be black?

wdcs25.jpg

wdcs26.jpg

wdcs27.jpg

28 29 30

After 30 issues of mostly newspaper reprints the Carl Barks introduces a new form. To me the first 30 represent a pre Golden Age for Walt Disney. Barks is definitely the master for cartoon books. A pre Barks books has a certain coolness similar to the pre Marvel Super Hero books.

This isn't the last post, I'm going to put up some of the more interesting back cover pin-ups. Its rare enough to see these covers on ebay and the back covers are pretty cool too.

28 is the first WDCS New Years cover though i believe there was one or two on the MM Magazine. The numbers on HD&L are a stretch ie 19, 40, 3 as in Nineteen / Forty / Three; pretty weak. I kind of like the fat chubby cheek Huey Dewey and Louie.

29: The second of the snow racing gags. Great cover which makes the common gag a good one. I'm partial to it since the condition is so good, how often does that happen. What's up with the Commie gloves however?

30: The best gag and art cover of the first 30 issues. Fantastic coloring, great Donald expression and soft mirror image in the window. Classic pot helmets by HD&L with sweet pillbox WWII reference. Love how the roller skate sticks straight out. Perfect cover.

wdcs28.jpg

wdcs29.jpg

wdcs30.jpg

Eh - I wish... I'm trying not to buy much, so I don't think another early barks is in the cards for a while.

But, this thread provided enough inspiration that I couldn't pass on this book when I saw it today.

cheers

Beautiful books, Bronty & ft88.

A little off topic, but last week I finally managed to win a nice copy

of the first Mickey Mouse Magazine. It is the best I have seen come up

for sale in the last 5 years. If anyone ever happens to come across a

better one, I'd greatly appreciate if you could let me know.