• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venus 18 on Ebay

99 posts in this topic

I coveted the Venus 18 for years. 4 years ago I bought mine, which is a 6.5-7.0, for $400 raw in Chicago. On the *second* day of the show!

Unbelievable it wasn't sold during set-up. A steal.

Hard to believe, even 4 years ago, that it was only $400 in that grade range :o Congrats!

I coveted the Venus 18 for years. 4 years ago I bought mine, which is a 6.5-7.0, for $400 raw in Chicago. On the *second* day of the show!

Unbelievable it wasn't sold during set-up. A steal.

Hard to believe, even 4 years ago, that it was only $400 in that grade range :o Congrats!

Amazing it lasted that long, as even four years ago, I'd expect anything nicer than VG would have sold for more than $400 in an auction format.

Even in the mid-nineties, lower grade copies of the Everett horror issues sold for at least $100. I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough when I found a #19 in 2.5/3.0 for $35 at a comic store back then.

Even classic covers like that one in the pre-code pantheon were static for a long period. I remember an 8.0 copy of that book being offered on this board for around $750, not that long ago.

I wonder what has changed. Do you think this board has played a role? The Walking Dead phenomenon maybe? Collectors expanding/priced out of traditional superhero gold/silver age collecting?

It might be a bit of a stretch to say this board has had that much influence, but then in the last couple of years the traffic to this site has increased dramatically - who knows how many lurkers are out there, especially in this section, with the breadth and depth of knowledge on offer?

I'd say that it's a combination of the big GA and SA keys getting out of reach for most collectors, the influx of new money into the hobby (c.f. the last Clink and CC auctions) and the probability that such books are now flavor of the month.

The WD collectors who were brought into the hobby solely due to that title may not be ready to discover the merits of pre-code Heath and Everett just yet, but it's not out of the question that that book has played its part in bringing horror back to center stage.

:hi:

WD brought me back into collecting comics after a decade out of collecting them. Now I have crossed over into PCH with my first purchase being a big one to me a Crime Suspenstories #22. Now I have to decide which book to go after next. I will only be able to add maybe 3 to 5 a year to the collection that are $500+ books.