• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venus 18 on Ebay

99 posts in this topic

this is kinda my favorite; just love the way she's drawn on this cover.

venus15.jpg

I feel that this is the scarcest issue in the run.

By far

Good to know! It's a great book -- no copy in my collection.

I've never mentioned this on the boards, but I could've had a #19 in my collection for probably less than $100 -- it was a nice VG+ on eBay and of course it was over 11+ years ago, now. It was Sept 10, 2001 and as I left work I made a mental note to try and win it when it ended the next day. Of course, the day arrived and frankly, my heart wasn't in it, not in the least, to do much that day. :( It ended up at around $75.

Too bad such a great book has an association like that in my memory! But I'll have a copy one day yet, perhaps. :)

venus15.jpg

By far

I've never mentioned this on the boards, but I could've had a #19 in my collection for probably less than $100 -- it was a nice VG+ on eBay and of course it was over 11+ years ago, now. It was Sept 10, 2001 and as I left work I made a mental note to try and win it when it ended the next day. Of course, the day arrived and frankly, my heart wasn't in it, not in the least, to do much that day. :( It ended up at around $75.

Too bad such a great book has an association like that in my memory! But I'll have a copy one day yet, perhaps. :)

:cry: Unfortunately I have several memories like this regarding PCH books. 12 yrs ago I could have snagged my friends BC 50 file copy - which was dead-on 9.4/9.6 - for $1500. :tonofbricks:

venus15.jpg

By far

:cry: Unfortunately I have several memories like this regarding PCH books. 12 yrs ago I could have snagged my friends BC 50 file copy - which was dead-on 9.4/9.6 - for $1500. :tonofbricks:

I've had two distinct chances at highgrade BCM 50's when they were cheaper, and didn't have the $ to pull the trigger at the time. Alas!

venus15.jpg

By far

I've had two distinct chances at highgrade BCM 50's when they were cheaper, and didn't have the $ to pull the trigger at the time. Alas!

Money is always the x-factor. Dangit.

venus15.jpg

By far

Money is always the x-factor. Dangit.

Sure is! Ah well. :)

$750 for an 8.0 was a steal at anytime in the last decade. Heritage sold an 8.5 for $1380 back in 2005.

While pretty much all classic PCH covers have seen a rise in the last couple years, Heritage also sold a pair of decent looking raw VG- copies in late 2009 and late 2010 for $538 and $598 respectively, and a sharp 6.5 a year ago for nearly $1200, so while $1550 for a 5.5 blows those prices out of the water, it's not as if the book in the FN range was readily available at half the price anytime in the last few years.

One reason the Venus books always show strong prices as compared to other Atlas PCH, might be the continuing character nature of the title which will appeal to Timely/Atlas Superhero collectors who also buy titles like Sun Girl, Namora and Marvel Boy as well as the Atlas hero revival books, all of which have historically had higher values than most of the Atlas horror books.

As high as some of the prices have gotten lately on classic PCH books, for the most part the prices don't seem that high compared to many of the more sought after "classic cover" GA costumed hero books.

$750 for an 8.0 was a steal at anytime in the last decade. Heritage sold an 8.5 for $1380 back in 2005.

While pretty much all classic PCH covers have seen a rise in the last couple years, Heritage also sold a pair of decent looking raw VG- copies in late 2009 and late 2010 for $538 and $598 respectively, and a sharp 6.5 a year ago for nearly $1200, so while $1550 for a 5.5 blows those prices out of the water, it's not as if the book in the FN range was readily available at half the price anytime in the last few years.

One reason the Venus books always show strong prices as compared to other Atlas PCH, might be the continuing character nature of the title which will appeal to Timely/Atlas Superhero collectors who also buy titles like Sun Girl, Namora and Marvel Boy as well as the Atlas hero revival books, all of which have historically had higher values than most of the Atlas horror books.

As high as some of the prices have gotten lately on classic PCH books, for the most part the prices don't seem that high compared to many of the more sought after "classic cover" GA costumed hero books.

All good by me -- well, except I guess for the fact that I don't have all the classic covers I'd like -- not yet! Time, luck and money-availablity will be my factors that play in. :)

Bingo. I - as a PCH collector and huge fan of Venus 18 - think that this book is 'worth' more than that final price, to me. If I didn't have a decent copy, I'd have beg/borrowed/stole/sold books to get that one. I can state unequivocally that I would not sell my 6.5/7.0 even for double that price the 5.5 got!!!

All good by me -- well, except I guess for the fact that I don't have all the classic covers I'd like -- not yet! Time, luck and money-availablity will be my factors that play in. :)

I've sold most of my "classic cover" books over the last few years, some perhaps a bit too soon. They seem to show continued strength in the market place, but PCH books in general seem to have a history of big run ups and then flattening for a while. Still, for the long term, the demand will probably always be strong enough for most of these books to sustain value.

I've sold most of my "classic cover" books over the last few years, some perhaps a bit too soon. They seem to show continued strength in the market place, but PCH books in general seem to have a history of big run ups and then flattening for a while. Still, for the long term, the demand will probably always be strong enough for most of these books to sustain value.

That's been my experience. Big runs, then a plateau. Who knows what the future holds. But I'm in it for the long haul, and buying and keeping have always done right by me. Err.. except for divorce. :boo:

That's certainly true, but those costumed hero books are the bread and butter of the hobby. PCH is still a niche...an awesome niche, maybe the bestest niche, but it's a spoke. Those costumed hero books are the hub.

I don't know if that made any sense at all. Putting down the wine now..

Not sure why they've blown up...

One reason - BILL EVERETT

Venus 13-19 contain some of the best work by one of the best comic book artists of all time.

Everett took the character and made it his own, getting better as he went along in the run. The perfect combination of beautiful main character, true horror and light-hearted fantasy was never seen before and has never been matched.

Everett drew like a fiend on these issues. Every page is a delight.

You want one of these Venus comics, MANN UP! You won't regret it!

they're the rusty nail that flattens the tire.

Photo cover westerns aren't even that close to the wheel. They're the reason I have to put "-gene autry" in the ebay Golden Age section search box when seeing what's newly listed.

Venus 13-19 contain some of the best work by one of the best comic book artists of all time.

Everett took the character and made it his own, getting better as he went along in the run. The perfect combination of beautiful main character, true horror and light-hearted fantasy was never seen before and has never been matched.

Amen. They are just mind-bogglingly beautiful books by Everett. I treasure my 13 and 14, even if the 14 is coverless- it still has an amazing amount of extraordinarily good Everett art.

I suspect the other obvious reason for the jump in prices is Venus appearing in Agents of Atlas, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet.

Amen. They are just mind-bogglingly beautiful books by Everett. I treasure my 13 and 14, even if the 14 is coverless- it still has an amazing amount of extraordinarily good Everett art.

I suspect the other obvious reason for the jump in prices is Venus appearing in Agents of Atlas, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet.

I think the effect of modern revamps of a character on back issue sales drops off dramatically once you get farther back than the Silver Age, especially if it's not a first appearance. Even if Venus were to appear in the next Avengers movie, the impact on anything after issue #1 would likely be minimal.

True enough. What I meant was not so much the Agents of Atlas driving an increase in the value of the books as calling attention to the series, which then drove prices up as people realized how amazing the Everett issues were. It's definitely not the normal new series price bump effect.