• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics to Novels

13 posts in this topic

Recently, I was reminded in a thread to try and check out the Modesty Blaise novels.

I was wondering what other comic book / comic strips sparked the creation of related novels. I have bought the first Blaise novel and turns out I am almost finished with Greg Rucka's A Gentleman's Game, a novel of Queen & Country which also sprouted from Rucka's comic run. So, these are the ones I am aware of:

Modesty Blaise strip begat 13 novels / short stories collections

Queen & Country comic begat 3 novels

Fables comic begat at least one prose novel

Which others am I missing?

Elfquest

Haven't there been Batman and other mainstream comic novels?

I think there was a Deadworld novel, I know there was some all prose "comics"

There's others I'm forgetting. I've seen ads for prose books in the back of Indy comics but can't remember which ones now.

Recently, I was reminded in a thread to try and check out the Modesty Blaise novels.

I was wondering what other comic book / comic strips sparked the creation of related novels. I have bought the first Blaise novel and turns out I am almost finished with Greg Rucka's A Gentleman's Game, a novel of Queen & Country which also sprouted from Rucka's comic run. So, these are the ones I am aware of:

Modesty Blaise strip begat 13 novels / short stories collections

Queen & Country comic begat 3 novels

Fables comic begat at least one prose novel

Which others am I missing?

Hellboy has spawned several novels which are quite good.

Even the X-Men had a novel printed. I own it, haven't read it, am honestly feeling trepidation over it.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Shadows-Past-Ibooks/dp/0743400186

:shrug:

-slym

Yea I've got a few different Spider-Man novels people have given me over the years. I've read the first few pages, put it down, and pulled out some back issues instead. It doesn't feel right.

I know Peter David has written some. Here's a quick list from Wikipedia:

"His other novel adaptations include those of the movies The Return of Swamp Thing, The Rocketeer, Batman Forever, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man. He also wrote an original Hulk novel, The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast, based on story ideas that he was not permitted to use in the comic book, and an adaptation of an unused Alien Nation television -script, "Body and Soul".

David's 2010 novel work includes Year of the Black Rainbow, a novel cowritten with musician Claudio Sanchez of the band Coheed and Cambria, that was released with the band's album of the same name,[82] and an Fable original novel The Balverine Order, set between the events of Fable II and Fable III.[73] In April 2011, David announced that, in addition to another Fable novel, he and a number of other writers, including Glenn Hauman, Mike Friedman and Bob Greenberger, were assembling an electronic publishing endeavor called Crazy Eight Press, which would allow them to publish e-books directly to fans, the first of which would be David's Arthurian story, The Camelot Papers. David explained that the second book in his "Hidden Earth" trilogy would also be published through Crazy Eight

"

There are about a hundred marvel and DC novels out there. I have most of them and many are amazing reads. There are lists available online. I always am on the lookout to upgrade from soft to hard cover. Some collect 3 softcover into 1 hardcover and are close to 1000 pages long. Hours of reading for the price of 2 modern comics. It's a no-brainer.

There are about a hundred marvel and DC novels out there. I have most of them and many are amazing reads. There are lists available online. I always am on the lookout to upgrade from soft to hard cover. Some collect 3 softcover into 1 hardcover and are close to 1000 pages long. Hours of reading for the price of 2 modern comics. It's a no-brainer.

Have you read the X-Men "Shadows Of The Past" book? If so, what is your 'review?'

-slym

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I assumed that Marvel and DC had some to offer and was looking for some more off-beat options and I am finding more thanks to you guys: Hellboy, Ms. Tree, etc ...

Now to sort the wheat from the chaff since I am limited time to read :sorry: