• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the weirdest thing...

52 posts in this topic

I used to work with animals..I am not too big of a fish tank person I have had multiple tanks and ponds but never had the commitment for a saltwater tank..I was pretty sure seahorses were saltwater..

poor deceased seahorses..and they probably shipped them in non padded envelopes..

I used to work with animals..I am not too big of a fish tank person I have had multiple tanks and ponds but never had the commitment for a saltwater tank..I was pretty sure seahorses were saltwater..

poor deceased seahorses..and they probably shipped them in non padded envelopes..

I cant imagine any arrived alive unless this is some pseudo incredibly hardy seahorse thingy.

Shipping for most saltwater fish and corals are EXPENSIVE!!! Main reasons are they usually are overnight and HEAVY because of the amount of water you need to pack them in.

When i bought my Golden Dwarf Moray eel from hawaii like 5-6 years ago, i want to say the eel was $175 and the shipping was like $200 or so :o

As a kid in the UK ordering any of this stuff was a world away, it didnt stop me dreaming though.

I remember an ad where you sold....maybe grit lol door to door and if you sold enough, you could get a bike.

There were no bikes like this in the UK at the time, extended forks and ape hanger handlebars, man, I wanted that bike, I still do :cry:

HAHA neener I got my bike selling Christmas cards folks could special order w/ engraved names on them..

From selling seeds I got a tent,river raft,fluffy cat radio,multi purpose hand crank flashlight/radio, and my very own 8 track portable player.

Ordering from comic books I usually only ordered subscriptions to other comic books.

One year I hit the jackpot. Some sort of clerical error garnered me 2 copies each month of every subscription I had. One came under my first name and one under my middle name.

But I only paid for 4 titles. I got two of each every month for nearly 3 years.

Unfortunately my mom was one of those draconian overlords who made me throw away or donate a copy of the last month's book BEFORE I could take the new one out of the cardboard sleeve. :(

I think only two comic books survived my mom..

Was it a bike like the one I describe, I would love to see a photo if you have one, as it was just a sketch in the comic.

Was it the same bike for girls?

I couldnt afford a subscription to anything, I used to deliver newspapers as a kid, people were always complaining the comics were late, they didnt realise I used to keep and read the comics overnight and deliver them the next day ;)

I ordered Three T shirts for 5.00 I think one was a Led Zeppelin T,a keep on truckin T,and Hulk T shirt.Nothing spectacular.

No Spectacular Spider-Man :o Hulk would be good though..

No Spidey was only Amazing in the old days. :preach:

Sea monkeys. Damned brine shrimp wouldn't even smile at me.

*sigh*

+ 1

Then this dork showed up in the tank and they started breeding like mad.

1176843860_37b9e50175.jpg

...and that is how Namor was born!

:whistle:

-slym

What the?! How did you know that?

2065462211_4e6b26dcf7.jpg

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

Does the author talk about the live animals and the submarine?

And pictures of what you would actually receive as opposed to just the ads?

Yes

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

I bought ten copies, one for my library and nine for Christmas gifts/stocking stuffers.

They were a HUGE hit!!

My God. I had 3 of those items they played with on that video. The spinning top, the survival binoculars, and X-ray glasses (although I sort of wish I had the blow up legs).