• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the weirdest thing...

52 posts in this topic

The only think I've ever ordered from a comic is comics. I'm a little young for all those weird advertisements and stuff.

My only regret is cutting out the advertisements to mail them off. My dad and I realized that was a bad idea. Then my bad started folding them over in his copier and copying the ad pages. That probably wasn't the best idea either.

...you've ever ordered from a comic book? Sea Monkeys? X-Ray Specs? Miniature submarine? Farrah Fawcett poster?

I ordered these when I was in the 3rd grade:

army-men_zpsf045b1b0.jpg

I bought that too. Six long weeks of anticipation wasted on pancaked soldiers. :cry:

...you've ever ordered from a comic book? Sea Monkeys? X-Ray Specs? Miniature submarine? Farrah Fawcett poster?

I ordered these when I was in the 3rd grade:

army-men_zpsf045b1b0.jpg

I bought that too. Six long weeks of anticipation wasted on pancaked soldiers. :cry:

I ordered those, too - and if I recall correctly, they were much smaller than one would think...

I remember i ordered "smoke bombs" when i was like 10. What came was a tube of some that you put a little between your fingers and if you stuck them together and pulled them apart quickly, the way it stretched out vaguely resembled "smoke" meh

One of my 1st lessons in disappointment as a young sufunk :sorry:

I remember i ordered "smoke bombs" when i was like 10. What came was a tube of some that you put a little between your fingers and if you stuck them together and pulled them apart quickly, the way it stretched out vaguely resembled "smoke" meh

One of my 1st lessons in disappointment as a young sufunk :sorry:

I remember that stuff! When I ordered it the gunk was described as "Spider-Man's Web" or something like that. Was equally disappointed.

The only thing I ordered out of a comic book, besides my MMMS membership and Marvel Stationary, was the six foot Spider-Man wall poster.

I loved that thing. It is currently on the top shelf of my closet, in little pieces.

Ah... back when $7 was saving up allowance & returning bottles for MONTHS to save up...

:cloud9:

I would love to hear from someone that ordered one of those, as all the other stuff never lived up to the hype. REAL firing torpedos, electronically lit display panel, and only 75¢ for S&H!!! WOW! :)

-slym

Yes. I used to order quite alot of stuff from the Johnson Smith Co. ads in the early '70s. X-ray glasses, hypno-disc, venus fly traps, crystal radios, various toys that uses caps, etc.. It would take forever for the orders to get in, but what magic it was when the package finally came in though. I think the weirdest thing I ever ordered was one square inch of real estate in Montana or where ever. "Own your own ranch" or something like that was the ad. Basically I was paying about $2 for a fancy document.

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

Wow. Thx. Didn't know there was actually a book about these ads. Will be checking it out.