• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's look at some bids, shall we?

19 posts in this topic

eBay has finally done it - they have changed the code that processes the Bid History page. Everyone can now see what anyone has bid on an item - while the auction is still active!

For example, here's an auction currently running:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN issue #1 CGC graded 7.5

Here's the Bid History page

It doesn't display the proxy bid, but shows information that wasn't available until after the auction closed.

Read all about it...

Larry

eBay really has the market cornered on bad business practices. I don't think this is a good idea at all. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Because, Chris? It's still a level playing field.

Yeah, I don't think this hurts anyone, except for those bidders that place like 20 tiny-increment bids trying to figure out the reserve or where the current high bidder is at. More transparency can't be bad, can it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

eBay really has the market cornered on bad business practices. I don't think this is a good idea at all. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I disagree - this is just like a regular auction now where you can see the bids. I think it will also help to significantly reduce shilling. I'm all for it. Now bid on my Miracleman 20 CGC 9.6 before I have to smack you around. What's the deal with the Forum Dinner in Baltimore?

Your above post is one of the reasons. Are they going to do the same thing with 'private auctions'?

Yes, but you still can't see the bidder's ID.

Your above post is one of the reasons. Are they going to do the same thing with 'private auctions'?

Private auctions are a separate matter. That said, ebay's reasoning for the change was "to improve transparency". So yes, this is a double standard.

ViewItem&rd=1&item=2263963845&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT]Miracleman 20 CGC 9.6[/url] before I have to smack you around. What's the deal with the Forum Dinner in Baltimore?

I am done w/ my MM run. Forum Dinner in the works, and will have details later in the week. thumbsup2.gif

Private auctions are a separate matter. That said, ebay's reasoning for the change was "to improve transparency". So yes, this is a double standard.

It's not a double standard...you can now see the current bids on all auctions, private or no. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's not a double standard...you can now see the current bids on all auctions, private or no. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hence the foreheadslap.gif and tonofbricks.gif graemlins. I wasn't aware of this until your previous post, which was after the one you quoted.

eBay has finally done it - they have changed the code that processes the Bid History page. Everyone can now see what anyone has bid on an item - while the auction is still active!

I was going to start a thread on this as I noticed this the other day and did a WTF? Its going to make for some interesting snipes at the last minute.

Don't forget, we still don't know what the top bid is on the current high bidder. That is really the only important thing, and that is something we still won't know from this. I don't think this will change much of anything. No big deal.

Don't forget, we still don't know what the top bid is on the current high bidder. That is really the only important thing, and that is something we still won't know from this. I don't think this will change much of anything. No big deal.

I agree.

It makes no tactical difference.

You are bidding against the high bidder not the 5th bidder and his high bid is still masked until you top it.

Only now everyone can see what the low-ball joy bids are! 27_laughing.gif