• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A BUNCH OF PRETTY FLASHES FOR 8/24/04

46 posts in this topic

having a heck of a time with andale this am, but here goes again;

Flash (along with Hawkman) were my favorite DC heroes back in the early 60's.

here's 10 Flashes from 1962-1964 handpicked from my collection. my 129 and 137 graded at 9.0 and 8.5, respectively. my 123 was read so many times that it barely can be called midgrade.

all were purchased by me at Sids Luncheonette in Orange NJ........

1091908984028_flash.jpg

1091473093544_flash_001.jpg

1093281062296_flash_002.jpg

1094440358897_flash_003.jpg

1094056223003_flash_004.jpg

1095499674115_flash_005.jpg

1092723623419_flash_006.jpg

1094031655704_flash_007.jpg

1094645832226_flash_008.jpg

1093341371137_flash_009.jpg

sweet books! I always loved the Flash too... the Carmine Infantino art was never better than on these books. I always found the stories simple (a la most DC silver age) but charming.

And of course in "Catch Me if You Can" Frank Abignale, Jr. was a Flash aficionado.

Burntboy:

I would like to thank you for the scans and tell you how much I appreciate the time you took to post these for the boards collective enjoyment.

As someone who beats the bushes looking for collections of old comics, I can state with much experience that early Silver Age Flashes are very hard to find in nice shape. (I have 4 copies of Flash 110 and not one of them is better than VG). While early Flashes do show up in collections from time to time, they seem to have more wear and tear than their boxmates. Could it be that in the days of old, when collectors were readers first, that Flash comics were thumbed through more often than other comics owned by the original owner? I truly think so and have many examples to prove this theory.

Looking forward to more DCs from Burntboy!

Burntboy:

I would like to thank you for the scans and tell you how much I appreciate the time you took to post these for the boards collective enjoyment.

As someone who beats the bushes looking for collections of old comics, I can state with much experience that early Silver Age Flashes are very hard to find in nice shape. (I have 4 copies of Flash 110 and not one of them is better than VG). While early Flashes do show up in collections from time to time, they seem to have more wear and tear than their boxmates. Could it be that in the days of old, when collectors were readers first, that Flash comics were thumbed through more often than other comics owned by the original owner? I truly think so and have many examples to prove this theory.

Looking forward to more DCs from Burntboy!

my personal experience suggests that condition is a product of a few factors. i do believe the more popular the character and intriguing the story, the worse shape the book will likely be in, especially if it's from pre 1965.

beyond that, for books from that era, it's largely a matter of luck. my nephews were a wee bit too young to do much damage to mine while i was in the service and my mom had gotten the "message" loud and clear.

but the books not shown from this era don't measure up to these - they're probably all 6.0 - 8.0's but for some reason got treated a bit harsher............ confused.gif as i've stated before, i took no overt steps to preserve them for the first 15 years or so. foreheadslap.gif

Very nice books! I just got a Flash 123 from Metro(originally ordered it from Comiclink, but they sold their cheap copy), so my interest in SA Flash is piqued.

Awesome books, Harry! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Flash is the ultimate title for me, and so so hard to find in high grade. That 130 is impossible to find in NM. I take it the only books you got slabbed were the 129 (9.0? NICE!!!) and the 137?

Since you didn't post your 129, I hope you don't mind if I post mine, just for the sake of completeness.

579281-flash%20129.jpg

589a8cf5efbe7_579281-flash129.jpg.0a7626ea43a9144eafd1b24b9334a973.jpg

years ago Sid's had morphed into a "fried-chicken" joint. not sure what's there anymore. (but, you've piqued my interest and i will check it out one day). grin.gif

i also bought all of my Famous Monsters, Mad's, "Men's" action mags, "adult" paperbacks, Sport mags, the ACE ERB collection, etc from the late 50's/ early 60's there............ devil.gif

Awesome books, Harry! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Flash is the ultimate title for me, and so so hard to find in high grade. That 130 is impossible to find in NM. I take it the only books you got slabbed were the 129 (9.0? NICE!!!) and the 137?

Since you didn't post your 129, I hope you don't mind if I post mine, just for the sake of completeness.

579281-flash%20129.jpg

very nice copy thumbsup2.gif

i actually prefer the cover to 137 with the two flashes duking it out and Vandal Savage hopping away. 1093363117144_flash_010.jpg

this book was graded as an 8.5 with ow/w pgs. i think it looks beautiful. it has the small corner creases in the LLC and URC. otherwise very nice...........

again, for those not familiar with these 3 books (123, 129, 137) they paved the way for the reintroduction of the JSA (which, as it turns out, were all living in a parallel universe called Earth 2).........in 137 the JSA appears for the first time in the silver age and decides to reform....... cloud9.gif