• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever think about the $$$ you lost enjoying this hobby.

162 posts in this topic

All the enjoyment I've had from comics and other entertainment I consider money well spent.

I do still think, for example, that George Lucas owes me $7 for Episode I, and I bet I can make a list of comics I purchased that I did NOT enjoy that I wished I had my money back on too...

But the stuff I enjoyed? No regrets.

My books are "worth" about the same as they were when I met Judy almost 15 years ago. Staying on top of the bills and covering out of pocket medical (I'm an old guy) keeps my new purchases to a minimum. If I want a different book, I sell one I already have..... but I did quit buying moderns, for the most part, about 10 years ago. Our Library gets a lot of trades in, so I check them out. Some years I actually make some money when I sell books (and pay taxes on it), some years I don't. As an ex-alcoholic and addict, the obsessiveness of collecting fits my addictive nature and has helped keep me clean for going on 15 years.... which has SAVED me tons of money (and probably my life...).... so I don't complain. Interesting thread anyways..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

buying new comics for investment hasn't worked too well for over 30 years or so. It would be interesting to nail down the year when (which tears books) buying one of everything (DC/Marvel) published actually put you in the red in todays values.

Sure you'd have some sought after keys… but 99% would be cover price or less today.

Lets say you maintained them all in raw 9.2 or even 9.4. You'd add up each comic's current value for each year if sold today as a "complete collection"; and compare that to the total newsstand price the comics cost.

Im guessing it was 78, 79 or in the eighties somewhere. Most of those books are only worth a buck when bought in bulk. If that. And the price was .40 - $1.00 by then.

Money spent on education, especially a 4 year college degree is more and more a waste of far too much money. For too many kids its a four year all expenses paid vacation. Not all kids of course, but even those of us who didn't literally party 24/7 didn't exactly get our parents money's worth. Parents have to evaluate and discuss honestly with their kids as to the best use for the 100s of 1000s Of dollars a "education " now costs.

I kind of agree with this,even though I do have a business degree.I'm certainly not using it.I'm still trying to pay off my student loan too,after 25 years. :pullhair:

Sell some of those books in your sig and you could probably pay a good chunk of it! ;)

Money spent on education, especially a 4 year college degree is more and more a waste of far too much money. For too many kids its a four year all expenses paid vacation. Not all kids of course, but even those of us who didn't literally party 24/7 didn't exactly get our parents money's worth. Parents have to evaluate and discuss honestly with their kids as to the best use for the 100s of 1000s Of dollars a "education " now costs.

I kind of agree with this,even though I do have a business degree.I'm certainly not using it.I'm still trying to pay off my student loan too,after 25 years. :pullhair:

Sell some of those books in your sig and you could probably pay a good chunk of it! ;)

I would give those f-ks money from my comics....I've been paying off interest for the past five years. :pullhair:

I look at it this way. I still read all the books from my pull list. I have no other vices, so what I buy in a week is less then what I would spend one night out at a bar and I still have the books after I buy them. I wouldn't have the beer, rather I wouldn't want it. :grin:

I don't consider it losing money if I buy something to read and enjoy reading it, as long as I paid current market rate. If the value drops later, oh well. So does the value of my car and TV and Playstation and anything else I enjoy.

I do feel like I lost money when I overpay by not doing my research, or by being impatient and buying something hard to find for more than it could go for. I also feel like I lost money when I accidentially sell a modern semi-key in a multi issue lot becuause I didn't feel like checking the values of all the drek I was unloading, but that would also be my own fault.

I have no idea how much I've spent on comics through my life.

I hardly ever sell anything, so yes, it could be said I'm in a deep, deep hole.

But I've never even thought about, much less worry about, what I've spent.

It could be going to way worse things, and the enjoyment from the stories, and just owning the books themselves, has been worth every penny.

Comics :luhv: