• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walkthrough and FMV on high dollar books?

59 posts in this topic

Why does the value of the book make a difference in the fee to grade & slab it? surely its the same work for a cheap or expensive book.

The ONLY reason I can see is insurance... but it still doesn't make much sense.

-slym

My memory is a little hazy but i'm pretty sure CGC only charged me $150 when i subbed my 8.5 X-Men 1. I sent it in with a lower end 8.0 FMV value on the form which would have only been right around the $150 fee. As a 8.5 though, 3% would have been more like $3-400. I know for a fact they didnt charge me that much and am 99% sure they only charged me the $150 hm

My guess is that like any business, some of the administrative & billing decisions are made based on the customer's profile in their system.

A guy submitting the same book the same way on his first sub might get a fee bump, I don't think there's anything unusual about being a bit less diligent with this "we reserve the right" policy when dealing with repeat customers.

I dont think thats the case. I subbed like 30 books back in 2002 and was SUPREMELY disappointed in most of the grades and didnt sub anything else myself until the X-men 1 in 2010.

Why does the value of the book make a difference in the fee to grade & slab it? surely its the same work for a cheap or expensive book.

The ONLY reason I can see is insurance... but it still doesn't make much sense.

-slym

That seems like a swizz to me, you would think that they had insurance that covered their process regardless.

If I take my Nissan or my BMW into a car wash, it doesnt cost more to wash the BMW

My memory is a little hazy but i'm pretty sure CGC only charged me $150 when i subbed my 8.5 X-Men 1. I sent it in with a lower end 8.0 FMV value on the form which would have only been right around the $150 fee. As a 8.5 though, 3% would have been more like $3-400. I know for a fact they didnt charge me that much and am 99% sure they only charged me the $150 hm

My guess is that like any business, some of the administrative & billing decisions are made based on the customer's profile in their system.

A guy submitting the same book the same way on his first sub might get a fee bump, I don't think there's anything unusual about being a bit less diligent with this "we reserve the right" policy when dealing with repeat customers.

I dont think thats the case. I subbed like 30 books back in 2002 and was SUPREMELY disappointed in most of the grades and didnt sub anything else myself until the X-men 1 in 2010.

That's because you couldn't grade and sent in crapbag comics.

That's because you couldn't grade and sent in crapbag comics.

No, they were just MUCH tougher back then mostly. My Hulk181 came back 9.2, straight resub last year got a 9.6. 2 Iron Man 1's came back 8.5 and 9.0. Straight resubs last year they both got 9.2's.

The only other one i was really upset with was a Silver Surfer 4 with a small little crease in the upper right. They gave it a 8.5 which at the time i thought was insanely low but i just didnt realize they hammered cover creases as bad as they do.

Oh, there also was two Green Lantern 40's. One of them came back restored with color touch on the cover that i still cant figure out where it is ???

It was weird because that book came from an OO collection i had bought the year before. I've subbed over 100 books from that collection and thats the only one that came back restored (shrug)

Oh, there also was two Green Lantern 40's. One of them came back restored with color touch on the cover that i still cant figure out where it is ???

It was weird because that book came from an OO collection i had bought the year before. I've subbed over 100 books from that collection and thats the only one that came back restored (shrug)

Don't get me started on color touch.

3twi1n.jpg

Ten years pressed inside the inner well. Just own your grading.

A bunch you're right with. Small little corner creases on what otherwise were 9.6-9.8 books that all came back 8.5-9.0. I had no clue they would hit really small little corner creases that bad (shrug)

Don't get me started on color touch.

I'm definitely below average detecting resto but i cant figure that GL40 out for the life of me. Theres no bleed thru anywhere on the inside cover. No matter what angle you look at it under light, you cant see anything that stands out. Even under a black light, i didnt see anything. Admittedly, i'm not even sure what i'm looking for with the black light but there was nothing on the cover that looked any different (shrug)

Both times I have gotten hit with CT - once on a warehouse book and once from an OO collection. Not saying it wasn't there, but I can't find it and if it's there it sure as hell wasn't intentional.