• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could John Byrne make a comeback with the right inker?

159 posts in this topic

I still appreciate his art, but I never have gotten over him snapping at me back in 1997(?) at Dragon Con.

For real? As I hate when I hear of comic creators snapping at fans. But even more when it is not a one-time event.

I was stepping up to the table, and starting to pull a book out of it's bag for him to sign and he sighed in that over emotive way and in a raised voice said to me (but so the next 5 or 6 people could hear), "Have your comics out of the bag by the time you get up here."

I only had 3 books.

I was stepping up to the table, and starting to pull a book out of it's bag for him to sign and he sighed in that over emotive way and in a raised voice said to me (but so the next 5 or 6 people could hear), "Have your comics out of the bag by the time you get up here."

I only had 3 books.

Like I said, kindofadoosh.

I suspect a thread like this gets started because someone is a fan of John Byrne (or a shill for him) and wants to toss around ideas that could get him more work in the industry.

DG

The idea that a discussion thread by an anonymous poster could sway a company to hire any artist is asinine.

A couple of things led to the creation of the thread and none of them had anything to do with being a shill for John Byrne or getting him more work. In fact i suspected that were John made aware of this thread by one of his followers he'd probably find it insulting. John draws how he draws, this is just a what if scenario.

Over in the original art section of this site i started a thread asking which artists best represented the last 5 or so years of comic book art. The thread lead to discussion about various decades and the artists who had the most commercial impact and influence. Well, long story short the most prominent artist of today seemed to be Jim lee. Well he's been king for a long time it seems. there was another thread about jerry ordway not getting work where some felt comics discriminated against older pros. Well, Jim lee is has been king of the mountain for over 20 years so the logic doesn't seem right to me. I think it has more to do with the artists work being out of sync, or dated to the current audience.

i picked John byrne because I think he's a good example of that.He is a very talented artist, but his style has becomes dated. He does have talent though and I think with some modifications or updates to his style if he couldn't capture the attention of a new generation. Maybe not, who knows, it's just a topic for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing. This thread could have easily been about Mike Zeck, Simon bisely or a dozen other once popular artists whose work has degraded and audience has eroded over the years. That's why i started this thread.

I only had 3 books.

Wow, I'm shocked you didn't run away and hide after what that ogre did to you :o

I suspect a thread like this gets started because someone is a fan of John Byrne (or a shill for him) and wants to toss around ideas that could get him more work in the industry.

DG

The idea that a discussion thread by an anonymous poster could sway a company to hire any artist is asinine.

A couple of things led to the creation of the thread and none of them had anything to do with being a shill for John Byrne or getting him more work. In fact i suspected that were John made aware of this thread by one of his followers he'd probably find it insulting. John draws how he draws, this is just a what if scenario.

Over in the original art section of this site i started a thread asking which artists best represented the last 5 or so years of comic book art. The thread lead to discussion about various decades and the artists who had the most commercial impact and influence. Well, long story short the most prominent artist of today seemed to be Jim lee. Well he's been king for a long time it seems. there was another thread about jerry ordway not getting work where some felt comics discriminated against older pros. Well, Jim lee is has been king of the mountain for over 20 years so the logic doesn't seem right to me. I think it has more to do with the artists work being out of sync, or dated to the current audience.

i picked John byrne because I think he's a good example of that.He is a very talented artist, but his style has becomes dated. He does have talent though and I think with some modifications or updates to his style if he couldn't capture the attention of a new generation. Maybe not, who knows, it's just a topic for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing. This thread could have easily been about Mike Zeck, Simon bisely or a dozen other once popular artists whose work has degraded and audience has eroded over the years. That's why i started this thread.

There's been some discussion on here that Jim Lee is the only artist that, if he takes over a book for one of the Big Two, sales would drastically go up.

Personally, I don't think he's the only one. I think if McFarlane ever decided to do a book for the Big Two, you'd see the same result.

He's also someone from 20 years ago.

Maybe the difference between those two guys and Byrne, is that Byrne hit his stride (and height of popularity) about 10 years earlier than them. HIS core audience is in their 40's, 50's and 60's now and are much less likely to buy anything new.

McFarlane and Lee's core audience would still be in that 30 to 40 year old range.

I remember reading an interview with George Perez from the late 90's ( IIRC ) where he said some little kid came up to him at a con and told him he ( George ) could potentially become the next McFarlane.

It's all relative.

I only had 3 books.

Wow, I'm shocked you didn't run away and hide after what that ogre did to you :o

No need to be shocked, I'm pretty thick skinned. The whole 'never gotten over' was just being playful.

Still a lot can be said for being nice to your fans, as evidenced by the long lines for Liefeld at shows, despite being a technically poor artist.

DG

There's been some discussion on here that Jim Lee is the only artist that, if he takes over a book for one of the Big Two, sales would drastically go up.

Personally, I don't think he's the only one. I think if McFarlane ever decided to do a book for the Big Two, you'd see the same result.

He's also someone from 20 years ago.

Maybe the difference between those two guys and Byrne, is that Byrne hit his stride (and height of popularity) about 10 years earlier than them. HIS core audience is in their 40's, 50's and 60's now and are much less likely to buy anything new. McFarlane and Lee's core audience would still be in that 30 to 40 year old range.

Good point!

I only had 3 books.

No need to be shocked, I'm pretty thick skinned. The whole 'never gotten over' was just being playful.

Still a lot can be said for being nice to your fans, as evidenced by the long lines for Liefeld at shows, despite being a technically poor artist.

An ex gf of mine would tell the story of how Chris Claremont was a jerk to her at WW Chicago back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I was there and he wasn't a jerk, he didn't kiss her hiney..but he wasn't a jerk. Smetimes I think these things come down to perception.

Personaly I have only ever had one pro be rude to me in person and that was because we had a bad history in the old Marvel Comics chat on AOL.

Other than that, it's been varying degrees of niceness / professionalism. To this day I would still rate George Perez as the nicest, most outgoing pro I've met. With maybe the Romitas a close second.

I only had 3 books.

An ex gf of mine would tell the story of how Chris Claremont was a jerk to her at WW Chicago back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I was there and he wasn't a jerk, he didn't kiss her hiney..but he wasn't a jerk. Smetimes I think these things come down to perception.

Personaly I have only ever had one pro be rude to me in person and that was because we had a bad history in the old Marvel Comics chat on AOL.

Other than that, it's been varying degrees of niceness / professionalism. To this day I would still rate George Perez as the nicest, most outgoing pro I've met. With maybe the Romitas a close second.

Was it Kurt Busiek?

If I had my choice to meet any living comic artist that I haven't met yet, it would far and away be John Romita Sr. A class act all the way around and personally someone who I feel still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He really seems to be an extremely humble guy.

Ditko would be cool, but he really wouldn't want to talk about what I'd want to talk about...

Yeah, I think perspective has a lot to do with it sometimes, in meeting these guys. I'll have to dig out my picture of JB from that show. He has this look on his face that says, "I really don't want to be here." lol

Two years ago I had submitted a copy of Caliber Presents #1 for James O'Barr and Tim Vigil to sign.

I guess O'Barr had a big issue with anyone that had Vigil sign the book first, and proceeded to take a copy of Caliber Presents #1 and flip it around in front of waiting fans, making jokes about anyone that would have Vigil sign anything. From the story I was told, he did it right in front of the CGC witness, who was busy reading messages on his phone.

Turns out later I found out my book had been signed right before his rant, and it was another forumite's book that became the point of attack for O'Barr. It did impact his grade.

:eek:

I only had 3 books.

Was it Kurt Busiek?

If I had my choice to meet any living comic artist that I haven't met yet, it would far and away be John Romita Sr. A class act all the way around and personally someone who I feel still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He really seems to be an extremely humble guy.

Ditko would be cool, but he really wouldn't want to talk about what I'd want to talk about...

Yeah, I think perspective has a lot to do with it sometimes, in meeting these guys. I'll have to dig out my picture of JB from that show. He has this look on his face that says, "I really don't want to be here." lol

It was Joe Casey and he actually was a doosh...it wasn't just my perception.

It was Joe Casey and he actually was a doosh...it wasn't just my perception.

This him?

230px-10.14.12JoeCaseyByLuigiNovi.jpg

He looked better 13 years ago...but then again, so did I lol

It's intriguing that the title uses the words "right inker" and that Jim Lee has entered the discussion. As far as I know, all of Jim Lee's work in the past 20 years has been inked exclusively by Scott Williams.

There are numerous art pairings which seem to work, such as the oft-mentioned John Byrne/Terry Austin, Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott, and Alan Davis/Mark Farmer. I wonder, if Jim Lee had worked with a variety of inkers, would his work still be so well-received by readers. I think Scott Williams inking has grown more than Jim Lee's pencilling over the years, and that may be the factor that keeps their work en vogue.