• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

How are you able to tell its a GR without the date stamp?

Then you have to rely on provenance, which includes the paper trail the tracks the ownership of the book from the OO through a dealer or two. Easier with books that have the stamp. For instance, I bought the Batman Annual from a very reputable dealer. He provided me with an invoice stating the book is a Green River. If I were to submit the book for certification, I would send along the invoice to CGC and CGC might even call the dealer and question him. I'm not 100% guaranteed that CGC recognizes it's pedigree, but most of the time with the proper paper trail, they do. There have been cases with some other GA pedigrees where CGC will refuse to recognize the pedigree if they think the paper trail is not adequate enough.

That's what got Heritage screwed recently. The excepted items for auction that had laughably inadequate paperwork. See the video posted in the thread in General about it.

Red, it has been always something that I initially was perplexed about when I moved into the more high end of comic collecting. The fact that dealer's could quite happily claim pedigree status of a given HG book, and none of general buyer's could say otherwise.

But the fact that it would be realtively easy to do...(in some ways, for little known dealers), that may explain as to why largely, it does not happen. (shrug)

To claim pedigree status of a book, once discovered otherwise, would completely destroy a dealers reputation. Something Heritage has woefully underestimated perhaps.

The pedigree attribution is an interesting and sometimes complicated issue. Here's a couple of cases.

Here's an early SA Green River book without a date stamp. I bought this book already encapsulated, and so don't know its history of ownership, but for CGC to have recognized the pedigree it must have been submitted by someone who could track it back to John Hauser, James Haack, or another dealer who originally acquired the GR collection.

TTA57GR.jpg

Here's another interesting example. I bought this book from James Haack back in '94 or '95, from the same catalog that first listed his portion of GR books. In addition to some obvious early SA Greenies with tell-tale date stamps (like the JIM 91 that is now in Brad's collection), he listed a bunch of "NM" white paged fifteen cent Marvels, including the 4 FFs that I purchased. At this point, I have no idea whether these are also GR books, or whether Mr. Haack even knows. (shrug)

FF92.jpg

Very very cool, Bob. (thumbs u

When I see that TTA 57, I think Timely for some reason. Maybe he was an owner? It was on Pedigree Comics, correct?

I'd also say that off the top of my head, about 5% of the GRs do not have a date stamp.

Edited by Red Hook

Very very cool, Bob. (thumbs u

When I see that TTA 57, I think Timely for some reason. Maybe he was an owner? It was on Pedigree Comics, correct?

I'd also say that off the top of my head, about 5% of the GRs do not have a date stamp.

Yes, Brad, a Pedigree purchase. Any idea how late the GR collection went? Are there attributed early Bronze examples?

The official list goes to about 1968...I assume when the OO stopped helping himself to the books in his dad's store. Shin posted something just this past week about the paramaters.....last official FF was about #72.

Did anybody see the plethora of DC war pedigree's on Metro's site? They got tons of Nova Scotia and Big Apple books. Swweeeetttt, shouldn't be there long

Good luck if you're buying (thumbs u

When I got word of my big tax refund I did have Metro put a few Big Apple, Nova Scotia and Dell File copies off to the side for me. I'll post them here in a month or so when they're paid off. And let me tell you that they're beaut's.

Did anybody see the plethora of DC war pedigree's on Metro's site? They got tons of Nova Scotia and Big Apple books. Swweeeetttt, shouldn't be there long

When I got word of my big tax refund I did have Metro put a few Big Apple, Nova Scotia and Dell File copies off to the side for me. I'll post them here in a month or so when they're paid off. And let me tell you that they're beaut's.

Illegitimate children? hm

The first J.I.M./Thor comic I have ever owned in my life arrived on the doorstep yesterday thanks to one Captain Tripps.

WMJIM115.jpg

Looking forward to many more in the years to come.

Jim

Very nice book, Jim :applause: Congrats on the pick up

Illegitimate children? hm

Nope, it's actually profit from all my successful sales of crack here on the boards. And yes, I AM the reason for all the X-Men fans here. Damn crack, makes ya do retarded things.

The first J.I.M./Thor comic I have ever owned in my life arrived on the doorstep yesterday thanks to one Captain Tripps.

WMJIM115.jpg

Looking forward to many more in the years to come.

Jim

:headbang::headbang::headbang: