• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Just got this from Metro. It's an upgrade from a 4.5 non-pedigree copy that I purchased last year...

blackterror6h.jpg

nearmint; does the hand written name on the cover affect the grade?? i know the date won't, but not sure about the name. i realize that in this particular instance, the name helps to ID the pedigree, but what is the general stance and does neatness have anything to do with it?? thanks...........................Harry.

looks to me like they didn't penalise him at all for the sig...

great pickup Jeff! sell a few scripts and you'll be able to upgrade the upgrade

Okijima....... cloud9.gif Great book, cool pedigree. thumbsup2.gif

Never even heard of Okajima. 893whatthe.gif Or Okijima, for that matter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Okajima" refers to the family name of the young Japanese girl from California (who apparently spent time in an internment camp) who put together the collection. They were read carefully, wrapped in newspaper, piled in short stacks and stored in a shed until the 90s when they were discovered.

From what I've seen, they're nice books

Okay, how much? I still have my OO copy. Not as nice, but mine was 12 cents........

Do a little research and you will find out. tongue.gif

Let's just say I got it below the NM-(9.2) Guide Price, and in the title heading, it wasn't noted as the first appearance of the Creeper nor specified as being the Pacific Coast copy. 893whatthe.gif

Which is why it didn't draw much attention.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Never even heard of Okajima. 893whatthe.gif Or Okijima, for that matter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Okajima" refers to the family name of the young Japanese girl from California (who apparently spent time in an internment camp) who put together the collection. They were read carefully, wrapped in newspaper, piled in short stacks and stored in a shed until the 90s when they were discovered.

Rob, have you ever heard/read who it was that wrote the family name on the books? Was it the little girl, or is this another case like the Larsons where a drugstore was pulling the books for a customer and writing the customer's name on each book? The handwriting is consistent on all the examples I've seen.

I've often wondered if they were collected WHILE she was at an internment camp. Seems to me that a Japanese family in California would have been interred when this book was released, or were exceptions made for some families?

Internment camps must have had a PX of some kind where items like comics could have been purchased.

I've also often wondered what a little Japanese girl living in California thought of Schomburg's depiction of the Japanese on his covers.

Rob, have you ever heard/read who it was that wrote the family name on the books? Was it the little girl, or is this another case like the Larsons where a drugstore was pulling the books for a customer and writing the customer's name on each book? The handwriting is consistent on all the examples I've seen.

I've often wondered if they were collected WHILE she was at an internment camp. Seems to me that a Japanese family in California would have been interred when this book was released, or were exceptions made for some families?

Internment camps must have had a PX of some kind where items like comics could have been purchased.

I've also often wondered what a little Japanese girl living in California thought of Schomburg's depiction of the Japanese on his covers.

Okajima certificate of authenticity

DL: Thanks for the link. That's a great thread. Although, I'm still curious whether the books collected during the war years were collected while the little girl was in an internment camp.

Skybolt: I sold the Supes #29 for two reasons. I'm complete on Supes #10-#20, and this was my only issue outside of that range. I tend to be more partial to the Action war covers because they have...well...more "action" in them. Eventually, I'll probably pick up a Supes #23(great cover), but otherwise, my intention is to work backwards from 10-20, not forwards.

The other reason is because Metro got in a Fighting Yank #10 CGC 9.0 that I've wanted for A LONG time. One of my favorite Schomburg covers. If you'd like to take a look, I posted it in both the "Have a Cigar" thread here in General, and in "Jeff's Nedors on Parade" in the Golden Age forum.

DL: Thanks for the link. That's a great thread. Although, I'm still curious whether the books collected during the war years were collected while the little girl was in an internment camp.

Skybolt: I sold the Supes #29 for two reasons. I'm complete on Supes #10-#20, and this was my only issue outside of that range. I tend to be more partial to the Action war covers because they have...well...more "action" in them. Eventually, I'll probably pick up a Supes #23(great cover), but otherwise, my intention is to work backwards from 10-20, not forwards.

The other reason is because Metro got in a Fighting Yank #10 CGC 9.0 that I've wanted for A LONG time. One of my favorite Schomburg covers. If you'd like to take a look, I posted it in both the "Have a Cigar" thread here in General, and in "Jeff's Nedors on Parade" in the Golden Age forum.

Thank nearmint. I do love looking at those Superman/Action Comics covers when you list them.

thumbsup2.gif

The only early Superman issue I own is #26 in CGC 5.0. I like that war cover as well.