• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Lulu

72 posts in this topic

I am always on the lookout for these as i have fond memories of them from my Grandfather when i was a kid.

He got me started reading on Little Lulu and the like.

Am I the only one that has a hard time finding them in any decent condition though?

Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place

Lulu is timeless; both my kids devoured the paperback,collections as did their friends. We would also attend the Lulu fan club meeting in San Diego until they outgrew that last year.

John Stanley is an under appreciated artist; his work is immensely entertaining. Lulls are out there and have a fairly devoted collecting base.

My younger daughter loved reading the LL trades when she was around 10. I rediscovered them about 20 years ago and picked up a few dozen Dell readers. Little Lulu and the Bark's Duck books hold up better than most comics I enjoyed as a kid.

I never read Lula as a kid. It was all Archie, Superman, Spider-man, Donald Duck as well as Howard.

About 8 years ago, I got some Lulu's with a group of comics I bought and decided to read one before I got rid of them. That got me hooked.

I'm definitely a Lulu convert.

It was just great art and writing that still holds up today.

I have the hardback collected editions and i have ZERO problems letting either of my children read them without supervision.....hard to say that about many other books

I picked up Volume 6 of the "Little Lulu Library," which reprints issues from the mid-1950s. They are OK. Comparisons between Stanley and Barks or Schulz leave me dumbfounded. There is no Snoopy character in Lulu, no depth like you have in Peanuts. It's all pretty one-dimensional comics for kids. Fun enough, sure, but I don't quite get the hype. Is there really much demand for original copies?

I picked up Volume 6 of the "Little Lulu Library," which reprints issues from the mid-1950s. They are OK. Comparisons between Stanley and Barks or Schulz leave me dumbfounded. There is no Snoopy character in Lulu, no depth like you have in Peanuts. It's all pretty one-dimensional comics for kids. Fun enough, sure, but I don't quite get the hype. Is there really much demand for original copies?

Depth like Peanuts? That I don't see!

John Stanley was a great comics creator, with comparison to Carl Barks totally justified. For those that can't see this, my condolences.
5599507340_00ea1cfa39_z.jpg

I like the Lulu stories. The art isn't great but the dialogue is witty and the stories have a lot of twist and turns. I buy them but don't spend a lot. When bidding on ebay, I usually get sniped.

Stanley's Lulu stories resonate because we all once were kids, and Stanley captures what childhood was like in a way that can still make one chuckle decades later. I still enjoy reading them, and my kids like them too, even if they don't recognize a world where small children were allowed to roam the city unsupervised.

While Scultz's characters were also children, he frequently used them to explore themes that went beyond childhood. Peanuts was excellent in it's heyday, and I enjoyed as a child, but it doesn't speak to being a child as strongly as Stanley's Lulu material.

:)

FC74_zpsac462153.jpg

I enjoy the stories in the reprint volumes ... though it's not a series I'll ever sit down and read a ton of in one sitting. It's best appreciated in small dose and as RJ mentioned, you have to dig deep into your childhood memories to associate with the characters but the charm is there. It's possible younger generations cannot connect with the experiences of Lulu since times have changed. In contrast, Barks's tales are still highly relevant.