• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Read This! It May Save Your Life! My Story-Please Read!

86 posts in this topic

I used to eat very poorly in my youth. Lots of McDonald's, Pizza Hut etc. I was as also a smoker. I never went for regular medical check ups. At 35 I developed type 2 diabetes. Dr. said i had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. i was a heart attack waiting to happen.

The diagnosis is diabetes was actually one if the best things to happen to me. I started to take steps towards improving my lifestyle. Gym, less fast food and quit smoking. I now weigh 35 pounds less and feel much better. The diabetes has not progressed to the point of insulin injection and my cholesterol and blood pressure are in check.

Health is something we all take for granted. I echo people's comments on these boards and thank the original poster for sharing his story.

Thank you for reading my story and I hope my story helps in saving someone`s life or lives!

Isaac

Amen that you followed through on going to the hospital.

Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes for a speedy recovery! I'm with you... hopefully your warning will help save someone else.

Thanks for the thread, and good luck to you moving forward. Kids and young adults think they're invincible and immortal...as we grow older (wiser) and see our grandparents, then parents, aunts, and uncles pass away, our mortality becomes closer to reality and it's never to late to change our lifestyles. (thumbs u

Thanks for sharing your story and glad that your are now OK. I have lost 3 friends in the last year,48 - 49 years old, from sudden massive heart attacks. All 3 were overweight, ate poorly and did not exercise.

If anyone suspects anything like this, get it checked immediately and pray that you get a doctor, nurse or technician that will look at the test results with great detail. As you saw, initial testing can be misleading.

Hello 40sJohn,

You are very welcome and thank you as well. I am very very sorry that you lost 3 of your friends in the last year from a sudden massive heart attack! This is why I want to try and educate as many people as possible about this and if everyone can share these stories with others it can definitely prevent or help prevent this from happening to others. Thank you for sharing your story!

Congrats. Very glad you went to the hospital, and even better that the surgery went well.

This is going to seem like the most inane bit of advice, but I'm a true believer. About 8-9 years ago, my cholesterol was moderately elevated. I held out going on Lipitor with the intent of adopting a tough excercise regimen. Never happened.

What I did do was start eating Cheerios and oatmeal for breakfast 6 mornings of the week. W/in a year, my cholesterol had dropped over 50 points. Hopefully not too late to prevent any serious plaque build-up. Still, a dramatic difference and one I strongly recommend to people. It doesn't hurt that I love oatmeal.

Thank you underthebigw for mentioning this, I forgot to mention that I have been told oatmeal is one of the best things you can eat in situations like mine. It is great for lowering cholesterol and tastes good. I have heard similar things about Cheerios as well. Great advice, thank you!

My story is the flip side of the one told above.

My brother-in-law's brother was watching TV one evening with his wife. He told her he had a pain in his chest. She asked if he needed to go to the hospital. He said no. She went upstairs to take a shower before bedtime. When she came back downstairs he was dead from a heart attack. He was my age. There was nothing the paramedics could do. He was already passed.

[edit: There were no outward indications that he had a bad heart. He wasn't overweight. He exercised regularly. ]

DG

Great advice. In most cases, your body will let you know if something is amiss. Don't ignore it. You did the right thing. Glad you paid attention to the messages.

Here's to continuing on your current path! :acclaim:

Thank you Chrisco37! I appreciate your comment and kind words!

Issac, good to you for following through on getting some answers. A good friend of mine had open heart last year and the recovery is brutal. My father almost died a few years ago when his aorta was ready to burst - he had to have a stint. So I have a good idea of what you've been through.

All my best for a fast recovery! (thumbs u

Yeah, folks, if you have something funky going on be sure you get to a doctor. You can worry about what comics you have to sell later.

After having 2 heart attacks and 5 stints put in me I know how you feel. Pretty much had the same experience happen to me. I been doing really good for a while now. 7 years now. Watch what you eat. That's the most important info I can give you. Low sodium foods. Stick with decaf drinking. Decaf coffee, cola. And no junk food and you'll be fine. Exercise when you can. Just 10 minutes in a day is enough to get you by. But try for longer. My heart problems run in the family. History of heart attacks. My heart seems fine. Its the clogging that does me and family members in. So what I eat is important to me. I usually have blood work done every years and a stress test for results of how I'm doing. Luckily insurance is covering all of this.

One other thing. Get it in your mine not to get stressed out. Ever since I had my 2nd heart attack I been looking at things differently. Doing things when you want to do them. Don't get yourself pressured by the everyday things. This even affects my comic book collecting. I no longer feel "I have to have" that certain book anymore. You'll see. Anything you do to help your heart will show results.

Take care.

Mister_Comics I am very happy to hear that you are doing so good, thank you for sharing your story and for providing us with all of the great information that you provided here! Please pass on your story and mine as well to as many people as possible, take care buddy!

I would like to thank everyone for sharing their stories and wishing me well! I appreciate it very much! Please feel free to keep posting in this thread and please pass my story on to as many family members and friends as possible in hopes of saving someone`s life or lives!

Thank you very much!

Isaac

Glad to hear that everything's going as well as could be expected. (thumbs u

By the way, everyone seems to be using the word "stint" when I think it's actually called a "stent".

If you Google "stent" you'll probably get a lot more information.

Wish I would have read this a few days earlier. My brother in law died about a week ago, same thing. He went to the emergency room, and died while waiting for them to et to him. He was in Greece at the time.

I am very very sorry to hear about your brother in law, it makes me very sad to hear about this. I would like to give you and your family my condolences and I will keep you all in my prayers. This is the exact reason that I ask everyone to pass my story on to as many family members and friends as possible in order to educate as many people as we can so we can help prevent this from happening. If you ever need to talk send me a pm and I will send you my phone number. Try your best to stay strong, God Bless You and Your Family!

Isaac

Glad to hear that everything's going as well as could be expected. (thumbs u

By the way, everyone seems to be using the word "stint" when I think it's actually called a "stent".

If you Google "stent" you'll probably get a lot more information.

Thank you very much for your kinds words! Also I would like to thank you for pointing out the correct spelling of stent, I have edited my initial posting and changed stint to stent, again thank you for pointing out the error.