• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions/Advice on selling to fund collection

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys/gals,

Some of you might remember me from my Walking Dead buying spree last year when I was trying to collect the entire run. Well, I ended up selling most of it to fund personal stuff I.E. house and other things. Over the last 4 or 5 months I've dove back into collecting and going after my true passion which is Batman. Ever since I was a kid I've been a fanatic of The Dark Knight. With the help of eBay, HA, Comic Link, and GPA I've built a pretty good collection so far.

The run I'm after is the original Batman series (1940-2007), also Morrisons "Batman & Robin" and Miller/Lee's "Batman & Robin:The Boy Wonder". All slabs I go after are 9.8 or the highest grade possible. I'm trying to build a collection that I can be proud of and that's truly one of a kind. Also an investment collection for kids/grandkids yadda yadda yadda. With that being said and the help of a big 9.8 eBay Batman slab collection I bought I'm about 230+ and counting now which can be seen in my registry.

Well, now the hard part comes in and opinions are needed. I could really use a boost in income to fund my collection. I still have a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 that's signed by Kirkman/Moore and sketched by Moore. I'm debating on selling this book. I still read the WD TPB's and watch the TV show constantly, as it's one of my favorites. So my love for it will never die and I would assume I could always buy another blue label WD #1 or another SS WD #1. My question to all of you is, would you sell it? Is this book that iconic that you wouldn't let it go or you would sell it fund a collection that is more of an investment and could be worth more over time? Like I said if I sold this book it would all go towards Batman and completing all #1 to #713 or so. That being said I know this book won't buy a #1 Batman or anything like that but you get my drift. Anyway, I'm yapping. :blahblah: Thanks in advance! :)

I'm a fan of the series like I stated but I just thought that the book would be less in value than it is now in 10 years and a run of something iconic like Batman would be a more worthy investment to make.

Sorry a part time or second job is out of the question as I'm a franchisee owner and don't have time. I loved the series but haven't kept up with as closely aside from the TV show.

It really depends if you think Walking Dead #1 has topped in value... Sell at the top and buy it back later at the bottom (or when it cools down).

Sell that s :censored: it! Batman is way cooler anyway. :headbang:

Hahahah WAAAY cooler.

Personally, I think it's about what you love. If you love the Walking Dead books and also the show, I'd keep the 1.

Flipping it might net you a couple of grand immediately... But in the long term you may regret that decision and you can save that couple of grand up over the course of a few months or a year... Especially considering it would leave you approximately 99% short of a Bats 1 anyway.

Sell that s :censored: it! Batman is way cooler anyway. :headbang:

Hahahah WAAAY cooler.

Personally, I think it's about what you love. If you love the Walking Dead books and also the show, I'd keep the 1.

Flipping it might net you a couple of grand immediately... But in the long term you may regret that decision and you can save that couple of grand up over the course of a few months or a year... Especially considering it would leave you approximately 99% short of a Bats 1 anyway.

Yeah, but with a couple grand he could get a low grade 2 and/or 3. Well, very low grade.

If you're really looking at going after a complete Batman run, sell everything you can and put those proceeds towards a #1 (you'll, obviouskly, have to have more money than the sales will generate).

Go for the keys first. They appreciate the fastest and will cost you more the longer you wait.

I remember selling my Claremont/Byrne X-Men in the late 80s to finance Golden Age. Today, the X-Men are everywhere in high grade, but the GA I got is very hard to get. Sell the WD and buy a couple GA Captain Americas.

If you're really looking at going after a complete Batman run, sell everything you can and put those proceeds towards a #1 (you'll, obviouskly, have to have more money than the sales will generate).

Go for the keys first. They appreciate the fastest and will cost you more the longer you wait.

THE BEST advice ever! Don't worry about commons,go for the big fish first.

I remember selling my Claremont/Byrne X-Men in the late 80s to finance Golden Age. Today, the X-Men are everywhere in high grade, but the GA I got is very hard to get. Sell the WD and buy a couple GA Captain Americas.

Yep. You can never go wrong selling the current hot book for money to put back into the vintage stuff.

I remember selling my McSpidey ASM's back in the day and using that money to buy HG Brionze Spideys.

You will usually do well getting rid of newer stuff for older stuff. Not alwyas, but as a general rule, it works out for you.

Who wants fish? (shrug)

Who wants fish? (shrug)

lol Big ones.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Do you collect Captain America Comics? ;)