• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alamo City Comic Con

191 posts in this topic

July 31 - August 3 ,2014 at the Henry B. Gonzales (HBG) Convention Center in San Antonio.Its on the convention center calendar but not on the Wizard Website. Maybe you can move your show date to November since Wizard won't be doing Austin . How will this effect Alamo City Comic Con in 2014 ? Texas Comic Con is in June 2014 but they changed their plans about doing their convention at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center. San Japan the big San Antonio Anime convention will be July 2014 at the Henry B. Gonzales convention center.

Just research it. July 31 - August 3,2014 at the Henry B. Gonzales (HBG) Convention Center in San Antonio.Its on the convention center calendar but not on the Wizard Website.

Who knows the folks at Wizard World may still do Austin in November 2014. Why Wizard passed on trying again in the DFW area is pretty obvious. Houston,Texas would have been a good spot. Maybe the city of San Antonio offered Wizard a better deal on the convention center than Austin.

Just research it. July 31 - August 3,2014 at the Henry B. Gonzales (HBG) Convention Center in San Antonio.Its on the convention center calendar but not on the Wizard Website.

Who knows the folks at Wizard World may still do Austin in November 2014. Why Wizard passed on trying again in the DFW area is pretty obvious. Houston,Texas would have been a good spot. Maybe the city of San Antonio offered Wizard a better deal on the convention center than Austin.

Interesting to say the least. Perhaps we will finally get onsite grading in South Texas???

Why would it be obvious that Wizard would pass on the DFW area? The Dallas shows by Ben Stevens and Co are always packed, and most of them could be improved upon in terms of guests and by bringing in more comic dealers. But it's clear that a strong market exists there for shows. I could see the fact that Stevens already does 3 shows a year as being an issue as to where to fit a Wizard show in, and space may also be an issue as the Irving Convention Center has a poor layout for handling crowds of this size.

Austin is a great town as its awesome on its own and fairly centrally located with a good convention center. Based on their guest list this year they seem to be making an effort to grow the show too. If they do abandon Austin that would be a poor move when they could just do two Texas shows. We're big enough to support more shows.

Edit: just paid more attention to the dates you listed for Wizard SA. They're going to come into a new market with a 4 day con right off the bat? That seems risky and unusual. Or do they get the Thursday for setup only? Seems like a long reservation either way.

No, San Antonio did not offer Wizard a better deal, I talked to the lady who helped book them, but no offer was given. Wizard is not doing Austin 2014, I got word from convention person, in Austin. The thing is San Antonio has just been listed as the top destination for conventions, not saying this will translate to a great comic con, but everything is within walking distance. But the big draw back is parking, no parking you have to park all over the place and walk. San antonio is a big celeb city, not a hardcore comic community, I did Austin because many artists like to come to Austin to do a con, and plus there's lots to do. The city of San Antonio is doing way more for Apple de la Fuente and Alamo City then they would for Wizard, Wizard does nothing for the local community.

Looks like Wizard will be doing Austin, and San Antonio.

Any chance we will have a CGC witness available at Alamo City Comic Con?

Gsims718, I am bring a CGC Witness with me. shoot me a PM. will set something up.

also this will be happen there...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=86&Number=7009346&Searchpage=1&Main=312755&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post7009346

already in the book's ... when ?

Per Peter Steigerwald post

" While we're on the subject of epic things that will happen in San Antonio at the Alamo City Comic con, I want to eat the Four Horseman burger at Chunky's... Who else wants to go? "

time, date will be posted !!!!

Not seeing many comics vendors listed. Here's hoping I'm wrong about this con.

I agree. Good list of artist, wrestlers and movie vehicles. But, it is the Alamo City Comic Con, where are the comics?

Not seeing many comics vendors listed. Here's hoping I'm wrong about this con.

I agree. Good list of artist, wrestlers and movie vehicles. But, it is the Alamo City Comic Con, where are the comics?

There's no chance in hell that this con is going to be successful, especially from a dealer perspective.

Never mind the fact that they don't properly respond to emails for vendor space and haven't for the past year.

I hear that buffy! this con will be garbage. Also if you think it will be bad from dealer side you should hear some of the nightmares my friends have had trying to get a artist/writer table from theses guys. its almost as bad as realmscon and i really didn't think that could happen. I for one will not spend one dime on this con.

Looking at their website it seems to be on par with Wizard, if not a little bigger -- most of the usual suspects.

Only thing is I see no comics dealers that I recognize, though they got most of the publishers. Kind of shocked that Marvel is there.