• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alamo City Comic Con

191 posts in this topic

Hard to judge a new con that is trying to open its doors for the first time. there will be bumps but then again most new conventions do. I am a support of new one's even one that seem to really push the level that is bigger then them self.. The cost of Wizard World is crazy even more to setup. if anything I wish this new convention nothing but the best for there first year.

I think the big issue is this is the first year of this Con and possibly some are hesitant to see what the buzz is at its closing for following years. Biggest issue, it is on us the consumers to build this Con from what it is to what it could be. Being in Texas I am always stuck between two big shows and one of which costs and arm and a leg just to get inside, not to mention being able to do anything...looking at you WW. I don't think TBCC, ECCC, Baltimore, or any of the others had a great line-up of Sellers or even this many artists on there first attempts, but the public had fun, and they built from there.

To me this one has what I want, actual artists in what they called the Artist Blvd. and right off the bat shows me this Con is more focused at us than simply the Pop Con's are with their Artist (Dark) Alley. Yes there are some Pop Culture aspects but most Con's need these things as comic enthusiasts are so hard to judge on how we spend and make Con's successful from a business aspect.

Me, I'm all the way out in Afghanistan and won't have a chance to make this one and was fortunate enough to find two gentlemen generous enough to help me in gaining both sketch books from artists who I enjoy seeing as well as some much needed Sig's from an artist that truly got me started into this entire passion as calling it a hobby really doesn't do it justice. But I say give it a chance and assist in making it successful so that next year when this time comes around if worst case scenario the build up from this could possibly spill over into WW San Antonio and force them to finally look at what they do and up there game and make the god awful ticket prices finally worth it.

Personally I hope this one and Capital City do something amazing in Texas by giving me more outlets to enjoy this passion as well as get out there and meet more like minded people, without forcing me to purchase plane ticket's, room reservations, additional food and movement costs all of which could go towards comics, by having to go out of state just so I can be told somewhere else that an artist is already full up on commissions...

Well I hope it turns out to be a successful con. Any con which has a special event to raise awareness of something like cancer is all good in my book (thumbs u

I feel it's harsh to judge a new con beforehand, it's like anything you do for the first time, it won't be perfect, there will be mistakes, if it transpires that they did not have enough comic dealers then hopefully they will learn and spend more time&effort for getting more dealers in next year.

From their lineup of celebrities, artists and cosplay events, I think they will attract a lot of people who are after those aspects in comic cons.

I definitely hope it succeeds, and if I wasn't clear on that in my earlier messages I'll be clear now. I want it to succeed.

But it is alarming when they clearly have publishers and guests, but there has been little and/or confusing information about the dealers. And people who wanted to be a dealer at this show got the runaround or silence. It could easily look like they are trying to replicate the Wizard model, where guests are paramount and dealers are an annoying afterthought almost. It would be nice if someone could run a dealer-centric con that also has guests, is that too much to ask?

That Con just lies too much. They said they were bringing Robert Englund, he was never official since he was scheduled to appear at a Film Screening that same weekend, there are fans that still think he is going, because ACCC have not announced that he was never scheduled to be at their con. They said here that Norman Reedus was not going since April, but on FB they were saying that he was still a possibility and told the fans to beg his manager to bring him to the show.

Alamo City is ok but the fact that they say they have a better lineup than most of the shows is , their lineup is nothing compared to Wizard Austin or Dallas Comic Con Fan Days. And they said they were expecting 40K in attendance....

I just hope Wizard does a good show next year in SA, they know their stuff and know how to manage a show.

I just hope Wizard does a good show next year in SA, they know their stuff and know how to manage a show.

Now that is a statement you don't see every day.

I would say that any Wizard con should be run that way. they are a corporation.

also its nothing new about celeb making odd request or asking for something more in the form off adding a family member x2 or needing extra rooms for there Agent or something more that the promoter is not willing to do. plus many dealing with promoter who just confirm a celeb to find these thing out later and then just drop them off there list of appearance.

Again I wish this convention nothing but the best if someone other thinks they can run a conventions them self .... I so go for it !!! .... there is nothing easy about it and to those who try all the best to you.

Alamo City is ok but the fact that they say they have a better lineup than most of the shows is , their lineup is nothing compared to Wizard Austin or Dallas Comic Con Fan Days. And they said they were expecting 40K in attendance....

Trying to figure out which Wizard World Austin you went to. The past three years were ummmmm, yeah i'll leave that alone. Even this year I pull up the list of individuals and I still find Alamo more enticing for the cost of admission not to mention for gaining OA. Could care less about the celebs as most of them have this feeling of self entitlement that just turns me away every time. Hopefully Alamo is successful so I can stop paying $500 for my ticket and drop it way down to the $150 range.

Saw that Herb Trimpe was announced a few days ago. Neal Adams will also be there.

Guest Lists

Artists

Celebs

Comic (and related) Companies setting up

CS Claymore Statue

Aspen

Boom/Archaia

Antartic Press

Marvel

Previews World

Kotobukiya

Zachary Taylor

Zenescope

There are several comic dealers that will be set up, including Duncanville Books, M&M Comics, Timeless Heroes, and myself. There may be others, but I don't recognize them from the vendor list.

I too hope this con plays out better than it looks. Would love nothing more than successful con here in SA.

But, this don't help.......................

cgc_zps3e585f61.jpg

CGC will be present at ACCC?

As far as I understand a couple of 'agents' will be there but not the actual CGC.

Anyone wanna clarify this please.

bubba what is your booth number? Should I brave the parking and traffic would be nice to know it was for not. And what ever happen to old lighthouse?

bubba what is your booth number? Should I brave the parking and traffic would be nice to know it was for not. And what ever happen to old lighthouse?

I'm sharing booth space with Toy Matrix. I'll be at booths B20, B31, and B38.

I decided early on to give this show a chance. Maybe it will be good, maybe it won't. I'm hoping that people come out and support it and that it will be a good show. I will say it looks like a lot of effort has been put into the show so far and Apple is promoting it everywhere.

As far as Lighthouse goes, I think he is somewhere in CA, but I haven't spoken to him in a few years.

It will be Desert Winds doing the pick-up for CGC. They have it posted in the Signature Series Events and on their site last I checked. Basically the same thing for me.

So Desert Winds will be there. Maybe the same result when you submit via DW but not the same thing as CGC being there.

Particularly when you add the following

cgcgradeok_zpsce93c88e.jpg

I find the announcement vague and misleading.

I'm sharing booth space with Toy Matrix. I'll be at booths B20, B31, and B38.

I decided early on to give this show a chance. Maybe it will be good, maybe it won't. I'm hoping that people come out and support it and that it will be a good show. I will say it looks like a lot of effort has been put into the show so far and Apple is promoting it everywhere.

As far as Lighthouse goes, I think he is somewhere in CA, but I haven't spoken to him in a few years.

Cool, I'll drop by in support of the support....... (thumbs u

You think the house still has that Hulk 1 with the cover issue. I had to smile every time I saw that book at Live Oak. lol

I too hope this con plays out better than it looks. Would love nothing more than successful con here in SA.

cgc_zps3e585f61.jpg

As far as I understand a couple of 'agents' will be there but not the actual CGC.

~~~~~~~~~ I am there as well taking in submission for CGC SS. I paid to have a CGC witness to be with me to make this happen. I did pass onto the Promoter that I will be there handling some CGC Stuff. other then that .... that what I will be doing. I too posted this in the Signature Room. plus Aaron and me are taking in order for sketches from some artist.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7009346#Post7009346

I reply to that post about what we will be doing as far as CGC go.

There will almost certainly be no on site grading. That post is crazy misleading. Then again, anybody who knows slabs even a little must know there would be no on site grading. So then what's the point of the post? Other than making the organizers look like they don't know the comics market.

cgc_zps3e585f61.jpg

~~~~~~~~~ I am there as well taking in submission for CGC SS. I paid to have a CGC witness to be with me to make this happen. I did pass onto the Promoter that I will be there handling some CGC Stuff. other then that .... that what I will be doing. I too posted this in the Signature Room. plus Aaron and me are taking in order for sketches from some artist.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7009346#Post7009346

I reply to that post about what we will be doing as far as CGC go.

Understood and am aware of said. But CGC will not have a actual presents there, correct? As the ACCC post indicates CGC, itself, will be there when that is not entirely correct.