• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kickstarters you support and why

14 posts in this topic

Started this on the comicart-l and thought it might be interesting here as well. So, here's a list of the KS Projects that I've supported and why. What's on your list?

• 2012-11 - Biscuit and Lefty: A Cat's Tale - Signed copy (received). It's a cute story of a cat and my wife loves cats so a Chrstmas gift.
  • 2012-07 - Thom Zahler's Rhino's Bowling - HC sketch book signed and sketched. Fan of Thom's work and I wanted a commission. I got OA for the back of new GN!
  • 2012-12 - Womanthology -HC signed (late, very late). Wanted to be supportive and the project looked cool. Still waiting for my signed copy.
  • 2013-02 - Timmy & the Moon Piece - HC signed and sketched. Fan of Mike Kunkel and I'm hoping to leverage this into a commission, but if not I'll take the sketch
  • 2013-02 - Leaving Megaopolis - Alternate Cover with Book Plate signed by Gail & Jim. I liked the story premise and loved their work on Secret Six
  • 2013-03 - Steamworld Chronicles - 5 signed Walt S sketchbooks. I liked the premise (weak spot for steampunk) and thought this was a nice perk
  • 2013-04 - New Hatter M story signed hardcover. One of my girls is a fan of Looking Glass Wars, Hatter M and signed hardcovers. Guess what she's getting for Christmas?
  • 2013-05 - Aw Yeah! Comics - Page of OA from Aw Yeah Comics + 12 mo of the comics. I'm a big Art Baltazar and Franco fan. I've wanted art from Art for some time and this was a 50/50 shot at Art's art plus I like the idea of all ages books in general.
  • 2013-06 - Aw Yeah! Comics - Painting by Art Baltazar. This was a thrill - a painting of one character (Action Cat will be my pick) though I hope to squeeze Adventure Mouse into the painting.
  • 2013-07 - Justice Machine stuff. Failed to make. I was a Justice Machine fan in their first release.
  • 2013-09 - Molly Danger with sketch. Again, I liked the story premise and I like Jamal's work. He put pants under SG's skirt which I appreciate.
  • 2014-02 - Harry Palmer: Starstruck - or "Old Proldiers Never Die". I signed up for the two figure drawing. I'm pretty pumped up about that. I like Starstruck well enough, but it was the drawing that pulled the money from my wallet. I'm going for The Shadow and Batman - one watching the other.

Clearly, I'm a grand patron of the arts. lol

I haven't supported any comics yet, but congrats on some great projects.

I considered a few board games, but haven't committed yet. (A number of friends have though.) evanc, what game was it?

God Hates Astronauts: The Completely Complete Edition FUNDED! Wednesday Mar 20, 11:31am EDT $30.00

(02/18/2013) Collected $30.00 - BOOK AND SONG LEVEL: One fantastic signed copy of "God Hates Astronauts: The Completely Complete Hardcover Edition" sent right t...

Larry Elmore: The Complete Elmore Artbook (Hardback) FUNDED! Monday Dec 31, 10:59am EST $74.00

(12/26/2012) Collected $49.00 - FAN PACKAGE: You will receive one standard edition, 256-page full color art book. (International friends will pay $48.00 extra ...

BAD KARMA FUNDED! Thursday Jan 10, 9:00am EST $35.00

(12/26/2012) Collected $35.00 - A copy of BAD KARMA VOLUME ONE, SIGNED by Clay, Seth, Jeremy, and Alex + your name listed on the website and also on the thank y...

The SuperFogeys Adventure Game by Team Frog Studios FUNDED! Wednesday Nov 28, 7:00pm EST $180.00

(11/27/2012) Collected $180.00 - Magical Hero - Same as "Hero" plus you get 1 original color drawing (9 x 12) of the character of your choice done by Charles Pa...

The Sinkhole Anthology FUNDED! Thursday Dec 27, 11:59pm EST $20.00

(11/27/2012) Collected $20.00 - The PDF, the postcards, and the printed anthology. Shipping included for American backers.

Arsenic Lullaby "The Big Stall" Full Color Graphic Novel FUNDED! Thursday Nov 22, 11:59pm EST $20.00

(10/26/2012) Collected $20.00 - A copy of this issue with alternative cover only available though this program. This copy will be signed and numbered by Douglas...

Home of the Brave: Struggle & triumph in a broken America FUNDED! Saturday Nov 10, 5:00pm EST $20.00

(10/17/2012) Collected $20.00 - FIRST BACKER: A limited first-run hardcover Kickstarter edition of Home of the Brave at a special early backer price + your name..

Cyber Force Returns! FUNDED! Friday Aug 17, 7:35pm EDT $10.00

(08/10/2012) Collected $10.00 - Internet high fives and being an early adopter is awesome, but exclusive swag is even better, right? We think so too! At this pl..

LEAVING MEGALOPOLIS FUNDED! Friday Sep 14, 12:00pm EDT $25.00

(08/08/2012) Collected $15.00 - Get the 80 pg graphic novel by mail (CONTINENTAL US ONLY); and the PDF and the wallpaper

Wild Blue Yonder - a 5 issue full color series. FUNDED! Thursday Aug 9, 2:20pm EDT $75.00

(07/12/2012) Collected $75.00 - CHARLES PAUL WILSON III - STUFF OF LEGEND - Hardcover Sketch option - Limited to 2 - You will receive a signed Stuff of Legend o...

Dracula vs King Arthur - The Immortal Edition Unsuccessful Saturday Jul 21, 2:59am EDT $30.00

(06/19/2012) Canceled $30.00 - A HARDCOVER copy of the Dracula vs King Arthur - The Immortal Edition, featuring an embossed cover with free shipping to the con...

'Sullivan's Sluggers', Baseball Horror Graphic Novel FUNDED! Saturday Jun 16, 10:02am EDT $30.00

(05/22/2012) Collected $30.00 - SECOND BASE REWARD: Copy of Sullivan's Sluggers 200 page Hardcover. Includes a downloadable PDF of Sullivan's Sluggers. S..

Holiday Wars FUNDED! Sunday May 20, 8:00pm EDT $15.00

(04/24/2012) Collected $15.00 - THE BOOK - For a $15 pledge you will get a printed copy of the graphic novel (add $10 for international orders).

Exposure - Volume One FUNDED! Saturday Feb 25, 11:33pm EST $25.00

(01/31/2012) Collected $25.00 - DETECTIVE LEVEL - (US Only) This is where it really begins! The trade paperback 200 page graphic novel version collecting the ..

Regalia: Nine Stories By Eliza Frye FUNDED! Friday Sep 2, 1:43am EDT $15.00

(08/25/2011) Collected $15.00 - A signed copy of the book + your name inside + 3 buttons

GUERILLAS: Vol 2 FUNDED! Tuesday Jul 19, 3:59pm EDT $20.00

(06/17/2011) Collected $20.00 - Signed Book - A signed copy of the second volume of GUERILLAS (150+ pages of story).

Cursed Pirate Girl: "Our Generation's Alice in Wonderland" Jeremy Bastian comic book FUNDED! Thursday Oct 14, 7:57am EDT $38.00

(09/14/2010) Collected $38.00 - As above, but with a VERY special, limited edition stamping with GOLD LOGO. Strictly limited to 100 copies, numbered. (And, ye...

Liked them all so far except for Sullivan's Sluggers and Holiday Wars. Believe I was the first to back CPG if I remember correctly.

Gwendolyn and The Underworld by Bill Robinson

A children's book about a Pet Reaper. I liked the art so ended up pledging to get an 8x10 original.

Antler Boy and Other Stories by Jake Parker

A collection of Jake Parker's short stories. I only pledged for the sketched book since money was tight. Would have loved to have gone for the original drawing here. Great stories by Jake.

Share My Heart by Justin Castaneda

Loved the idea of the story and the art was great. Pledged for the 2 8x10 cardbored sketches.

Tiny Kitten Teeth by Becky Dreistadt and Frank Gibson Loved the art so pledged for the S&N hardback.

Daisy Kutter by Kazu Kibuishi

Liked the art and had heard great things about it so pledged to get a sketched copy.

Curiosities: An Illustrated History of Ancestral Oddities by Victoria Ying and Mike Yamada

I love the art of both Victoria and Mike so pledged twice to get all the awards I wanted. Went with the Everything we Make pledge to get all of their books and also the bookmark pledge to get an original art piece.

ReMIND: Volume 2 and Box set by Jason Brubake

I saw this project being posted on twitter so checked it out and read the first volume online. Absolutely loved the story and art so backed it for the Collector's Boxset and then added a medium size Original art and Phobos pack to the pledge as well.

CreatureBox: The Monster Volume

Who doesn't like monsters? Pledged for the Super Villain Package to get the Original art.

Bear - A first time parent's journey by Ryan Sohmer

A children's book that sounded like a great story with great art by Becky Dreistadt. Pledged for the signed book.

Timmy and The Moon piece by Mike Kunkel

I love Mike's work on Herobear and the Kid so naturally had to back this. Went with the Moon Friends package and added on 2 sketch cards. I was able to talk Mike into doing one card as Herobear and the other as Tyler with a stuffed Herobear.

Doug TenNapel Sketchbook Archives

I remember growing up with Doug's work so had to back it. Pledged for the 11x17 Original art and added another copy and then pledged another time to get another copy with the sketchbook page original.

The Saga of Rex: Animated Film by Michel Gagne

Loved the art and looked like it was going to be a fun film so pledged for the Signed Saga of Rex GN.

Cuthbert Was Bored By Uli Meyer

Love Uli's art and the story sounds great so had to pledge for the book.

Peter Pan: The Graphic Novel by Renae De Liz

Love Renae's art so had to pledge for a copy of the book.

Pen to Paper: My Imaginary Friend

Looks like a great project. Kids tell artists about their imaginary friends and the artists draw them. Pledged for a copy of the book.

I haven't supported any comics yet, but congrats on some great projects.

I considered a few board games, but haven't committed yet. (A number of friends have though.) evanc, what game was it?

There have been some really good ones! Just off the top of my head:

Superfight!

The Resistance: Avalon

Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Alien Frontiers

Channel A

Kaiju City (didnt achieve funding)

Protect or Infect (didnt achieve funding)

Two ways:

1) You might visit the Comics section on Kickstarter

2) You might "Like" the ComicKick page on Facebook

Kickstarter has a number of categories:

• Art
  • Comics
  • Dance
  • Design
  • Fashion
  • Film & Video
  • Food
  • Games
  • Music
  • Photography
  • Publishing
  • Technology
  • Theater

accessible from its homepage - www.kickstarter.com.

So there tends to be something for everyone.

I'm not aware of an "alert" for a category being available and given the number of projects that might be a good thing.

My Backed Projects

Ashes - Still going. I liked the art work. I got the perk for my likeness in a character and an original page featuring that character.

Justin Fox's Jet Girl

Failed to reach it's goal. I liked the art work and the potential. I backed for the sketch and copy of the graphic novel. Unfortunately the creators provided ZERO updates and feedback and it didn't even come close.

NNN

Met it's goal. I backed it because the story was already made available online and I liked what they were doing and how pretty the book looked. Backed this one off of "feel". I backed for the perk of the Tea Party at TCAF in Toronto

Mike Kunkel's TIMMY AND THE MOON PIECE

Met it's goal. I backed for the sketch and book and moon piece etc. I backed this because I love Mike's work. I loved Herobear (own a page from it) and everything he touches.

ASHES: A graphic novel by Alex de Campi & Jimmy Broxton

Met it's goal. The first project I ever backed. This one is a bit of a longer story. Lots of controversy on this one. I backed it for several reasons, but creatively I backed it because I LOVED Smoke (and only $3 on Comixology) and read the -script for Ashes and thought it was great. I claimed the perk of the book (which has been upgraded to a SMOKE AND ASHES slipcased hardcover from Dark Horse) as well as one of the original Painted pages (which ended up being done by Bill SIENKIEWICZ)

I look once a week for potential projects to back. I should look more often because sometimes I miss out on amazing perks. And I tend to back original graphic novels as opposed to single issue start ups or reprints. I like to help people tell original long form stories and doing so has allowed me to form some relationships with these people that are quite rewarding beyond my simple enjoyment of the medium.

I support comic stuff & the odd game stuff has to be something i am interested in & honestly can get something other than a thank you out of for my $ so far I have backed

infinity wars

startrek renegades

cyberforce

would have supported lust but I either missed it or did not have cash for it at the time I think that was coming out just before a convention ...

Didn't chip in much for startrek just enough to get & watch the videos with them come out & I did that because I both love & miss startrek on tv :) infinity wars cause i play MTG & it looked fun