• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazon vs eBay

53 posts in this topic

So it all comes down to these 2 for me..

I sell more comics on eBay, but Im still mystified at how EASY it is to post on amazon and although I sell far more on eBay, I get more bang for the buck on Amazon, but the volume of sales is much lower... Like, I just sold a Super Villain Classics #1 on Amazon for $12, and mcfarlane Spiderman #1 for $10, I would never waste a listing for those comics on eBay and would never get that money for them there either.

Thoughts?

I bought an ASM 300 9.2 on Ebay for $130 shipped. It was for my personal collection, and I didn't really plan on selling it, so I just listed it on Amazon at a ridiculous price ($365). I was shocked weeks later when I received an e-mail saying my ASM 300 9.2 had actually sold!

I was sad at having to let go, but at that price, I didn't hesitate. BUT the Amazon fees were like $57 or something crazy like that...

A good friend of mine has abandoned ebay entirely for

Amazon for his trades and hardcovers. He's had excellent success and has pulled stupid money for more than one OOP hardcover.

I bought an ASM 300 9.2 on Ebay for $130 shipped. It was for my personal collection, and I didn't really plan on selling it, so I just listed it on Amazon at a ridiculous price ($365). I was shocked weeks later when I received an e-mail saying my ASM 300 9.2 had actually sold!

I was sad at having to let go, but at that price, I didn't hesitate. BUT the Amazon fees were like $57 or something crazy like that...

$57, is there a link to their seller fees that you might have?

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200336920/ref=id_200336920_cont_200252680

For collectible books, they take 15%. I sold it for $365, and after I had to pay for shipping, I ended up with $300 and some change.

Another thing I HATE about Amazon is that no matter what you sell, you can only charge $3.99 shipping. So, yes, for the CGC slab, shipping was $3.99 for the buyer...

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200336920/ref=id_200336920_cont_200252680

For collectible books, they take 15%. I sold it for $365, and after I had to pay for shipping, I ended up with $300 and some change.

Another thing I HATE about Amazon is that no matter what you sell, you can only charge $3.99 shipping. So, yes, for the CGC slab, shipping was $3.99 for the buyer...

I guess that explains the super high prices on Amazon, all that lost revenue on shipping and fees is built in.

Thanks for the info.

I've been looking for an alternative.

I guess that explains the super high prices on Amazon, all that lost revenue on shipping and fees is built in.

Thanks for the info.

I've been looking for an alternative.

You're welcome!

Another little example about the shipping: there was a seller with a comic I wanted multiples of. I added the quantity to my cart, and they charge the $3.99 for every single issue. You can't combine shipping. So the shipping ended up being about $15 more than the $2.75 a piece comics. I e-mailed the seller, and he said that he was actually losing money on the comic because of the fees on such a low-priced item.

Never thought of listing comics on Amazon, but I've seen my share of aggressive asking prices on out of print stuff on there so I figure it may be a good place to go. I do know that Amazon cash is easy to come by so someone paying a little more than the going rate for a $10 issue may not care since the $10 gift card was free anyway and it's a comic they wanted.

I've sold ((and sell) many books on Amazon, though I've never listed comics there. I can see the appeal, though because your listings are eternal and you never pay a listing fee. That means never chewing my nails waiting for a free listing day (I've been a low value seller on ebay to this point).

Sure, the fees are a bit higher, but that margin is getting slimmer--and the hassle factor is much lower.

They sent the money to my bank account. But it's in intervals. They have certain days each month when they deposit money into your account. I didn't get my money until about three-four weeks later. That sucked.

And I'm not sure about the tax/1099. I didn't get any forms or anything. I hope they don't do anything with taxes. Haha. I don't file taxes because I'm still a student and I don't have an actual job.

It does seem like I've been bashing Amazon with my posts, but I will say this: I would have NEVER gotten $365 for an ASM 300 CGC 9.2 on Ebay. So I guess there are buyers on Amazon that pay way more than going prices. Even after fees and shipping, I ended up with $300, so that's almost 9.6 prices for a 9.2.

So I guess there are buyers on Amazon that pay way more than going prices.

Could simply have been a fluke. Buyer on ebay picked up a copy of Shazam #1 9.8 for $2,500 ( GPA @ around 200 ) this month. doh!:screwy:

Linky

Yeah, possibly so.

The guy who purchased the ASM told me he had been looking for a #300 for his collection for a long time. Maybe some people just don't like buying on Ebay

Amazon pays every two weeks via direct deposit (although you can request disbursement sooner if you'd like after you've been established for a few weeks). I've never had it take more than 2-3 business days to hit my account.

I see Amazon as a good general sales channel. In the same way that these boards might be a better channel for certain items, or Libris might be for certain books (I don't know, I just search books on there) you can probably net more in other channels if you have a great deal of product knowledge and sales expertise. But Amazon allows you to sell anything over a huge timeframe. Just my 2c anyway.